• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB bans home plate collisions starting in 2014

fan_since79

Next they will be banning takeout slides at second.  Lame.

This is the first thing that came to mind for me.  Treat the catcher like the NFL treats the QB, but please feel free to absolutely destroy the 2nd baseman/SS if you're trying to break up a double play. 

But why didn't they put this rule in now?  The hypocrisy of this is just mind numbing. 

Mumble mumble something about Tom Brady mumble.

Seriously, I don't care what the impetus is.  I think this is long overdue.

I'm against this rule.  But, then again, I'm against replay too (unfortunately, replay is here to stay in this era of super-slo-mo replays and that garbage "K-zone".)

Bochy is right; collisions at the plate are not a big enough part of the game to be concerned about.  The rule was that you couldn't block the plate/base without possessing the ball.  Catchers caused a lot of these collisions by breaking that rule.  If the runner couldn't see any of the plate and was past the point of no-return to third, he would have no other options than to try to pry the ball loose.  I always felt the rule against knocking the ball-out at the other bases was silly too.  Most incidents at the plate could be avoided by catchers taking better position.

I'd like to hear from the "catchers union" on this one...  If Fosse, Avila, Posey, and the rest of them are for it, then I'd be ok with it.

A rule change that was long overdue. As an Angels' fan, I can remember being on both sides of the issue in the last several years. Teixeira giving Bobby Wilson a concussion in 2010 and Erstad basically ruining Johnny Estrada's career in 2005. Sorry, but I don't think in any sport it should be considered acceptable to run into another player at full speed when they are standing still or in a kneeling position.

Football?

I'm against this rule.  But, then again, I'm against replay too (unfortunately, replay is here to stay in this era of super-slo-mo replays and that garbage "K-zone".)

Bochy is right; collisions at the plate are not a big enough part of the game to be concerned about.  The rule was that you couldn't block the plate/base without possessing the ball.  Catchers caused a lot of these collisions by breaking that rule.  If the runner couldn't see any of the plate and was past the point of no-return to third, he would have no other options than to try to pry the ball loose.  I always felt the rule against knocking the ball-out at the other bases was silly too.  Most incidents at the plate could be avoided by catchers taking better position.

I'd like to hear from the "catchers union" on this one...  If Fosse, Avila, Posey, and the rest of them are for it, then I'd be ok with it.

I have no problem with the rule, but the catcher should not be able to block the plate period!  The player should have some angle to the plate and if the catcher has the ball, tag him with his glove.

If you don't want that, let the guy run over a catcher.

This new rule takes something simple (runner touches the plate before he's tagged) which could be easily reviewed by instant replay, and turns it into a judgement call by the home plate umpire. It's going to create a plethora of controversial calls and piss a lot of fans off. If catchers don't want to get hit then gtfo of the base path.

This new rule takes something simple (runner touches the plate before he's tagged) which could be easily reviewed by instant replay, and turns it into a judgement call by the home plate umpire. It's going to create a plethora of controversial calls and piss a lot of fans off. If catchers don't want to get hit then gtfo of the base path.

Or, perhaps they will address this and adjust the rule as necessary.  And it isn't simple right now, because the runner can plow into the catcher.

Edited by Glen