• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels have sights set on Matt Garza and Raul Ibanez

AngelsWin.com

I'm okay with Ibañez if its only for a 1 year deal. He's worth a gamble, if he doesn't work out, I'm sure Cron will get a look around the mid-season point. It shouldn't be that hard to find an adequate DH type of player.

I would be thrilled if we could get Garza. Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards, Skaggs? I'll take that. Moves Santiago to the BP as a SU man? As long as Garza is priced reasonably and the years are reasonable, I think he'd be a great #3. I really want this rumor to be true. To me, it feels like we've got a great chance at signing him.

Edited by Angels_Make_Me_Drink

I would be thrilled if we could get Garza. Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards, Skaggs? I'll take that. Moves Santiago to the BP as a SU man?

Uh...Santiago will be in the starting rotation next year.  Skaggs will most likely be in AAA.

Weaver

Wilson

Garza

Santiago

Richards

Is the rotation we will see if Garza is signed.

I think Santiago is a future bullpen arm but last year was a pretty solid year for him in the rotation. His command issues will probably prevent him from being a full time starter but he's super versatile in that he can start games or pitch well in short spurts out of the pen. 

I think Santiago will be the 6th starter and be used in the bullpen to start. Dipoto's comments about Skaggs made it sound like he was ready to be in the rotation to start the year. 

Santiago proved he can start last year.  He'll be in rotation next year.  Skaggs isn't ready.

I think they find a way to give 20-25 starts for Richards, Skaggs and Santiago. 

Somebody will get injured so it's nice to have the flexibility between those 3. Santiago definitely showed he can be a useful starter last year, no doubt. 

However, I don't agree with the notion that Skaggs isn't ready. He hasn't been given a chance to prove himself for more than a few starts. 

I don't know how I feel about Ibanez or Garza. Ibanez is 41 and he doesn't really get on base all that well which this team really lacks. Garza seems decent or middle of the road but I would rather not pay a ton of money for someone who is a 3 or 4 starter. I would rather have the DH have more versatility. Who knows how much time Pujols will be playing at first. 

Edited by Kevinb

I don't know how I feel about Ibanez or Garza. Ibanez is 41 and he doesn't really get on base all that well which this team really lacks. Garza seems decent or middle of the road but I would rather not pay a ton of money for someone who is a 3 or 4 starter. 

Angels were 5th in OBP in baseball last year. 

Adding Pujols back full time helps. A slight rebound from Hamilton helps. Calhoun playing full time this year will help. And adding a career .356 OBP bat in Freese will help. 

It's very realistic to see them finish top 3 next year in that category. Replacing Trumbo w/Ibanez wouldn't be too bad. 

for you guys saying that santiago is going to be in the rotation and skaggs will be in AAA, as if it's a forgone conclusion. dipoto said himself and santiago reiterated that the plan was for him to pitch both out of the rotation and in the bullpen, as needed. dipoto also said that skaggs had proven himself in a smattering of experience between the minors and mlb and that it was time for him to take a spot in the rotation.

Edited by ukyah

Here's a thought. Let's say that Garza is signed, and then Santiago and Richards put it together in 2014 and Skaggs is ready to start 30+ games in 2015 (not far fetched).

Does Wilson then become a trade chip if one more piece is needed to truly challenge for post-season play in 2015? He would only have two years remaining on his now more friendly contract, and would still only be 34 in 2015.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Garza won't get more than Weaver and Wilson (5/$77.5MM), at least from the Angels - I just don't see them wanting to insult Jered and CJ by offering an inferior pitcher more money, even with inflation.

I agree that Skaggs is in the rotation. I don't see much point in sending him to Salt Lake, especially considering its Salt Lake. If he can re-capture his mechanics in spring training, I think he's penciled into the rotation. Santiago is the swing man, which makes me wonder what they plan for Blanton.

So if the Angels get Garza and Ibanez, I'm guessing they're done for the offseason, unless they end up trading Kendrick for prospects and put Green in at 2B. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Iannetta traded and the Angels sign a defense-first catcher to back Conger up.

But let's take a look at the team as it would look with Howie:

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

3B Freese

DH Ibanez

2B Kendrick

C Conger

SS Aybar

Bench - Iannetta, Shuck, two of Green, Romine, Jimenez, Field

Rotation: Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards, Skaggs

Bullpen: Frieri, Santiago, Smith, Burnett, De La Rosa; two of Kohn, Salas, Jepsen, Blanton, Maronde, Rasmus, Rapada, Coello, Morin, Alvarez, Shoemaker

So there would be a couple roster spots to be worked out at spring training - the infield bench positions and the last two bullpen slots. Both will likely see some movement throughout the year. Also, there are likely going to be some AAA tweaks - like another catch, for instance.

That's a pretty good ball-club. Maybe not a great one, but one that should be able to win 90 games and compete for a playoff berth.