• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Raul Ibanez heading to Angels

Scott34

He had an amazing run in 2012 late and had a very good first half last year. It would be nice to sign him, Bruce Chen and Willy Bloomquist. That would be good for ten less losses a year.

I cringe every time Ibanez or Bloomquist are at the plate against the Angels.

Matsui's first year with us was pretty good.

All I remember is loving him the first game and having a burning hatred for him the rest of the year.  

That said it wouldn't be that big of a deal if we sign Ibanez and he sucks because we have other bats in the lineup.  Matsui Finley etc were being relied on to be one of our better hitters. 

Chuck, I don't care about upside if its only one year but my point is that while Trumbo could theoretically improve, Ibanez is likely to get worse - and his OBP already sucks. This team needs to improve OBP more than SLG, imo.

As for Matsui, if I remember correctly he sucked for the first half and then caught fire once the Angels were out of it.

Chuck, I don't care about upside if its only one year but my point is that while Trumbo could theoretically improve, Ibanez is likely to get worse - and his OBP already sucks. This team needs to improve OBP more than SLG, imo.

As for Matsui, if I remember correctly he sucked for the first half and then caught fire once the Angels were out of it.

thatttts why i hated him!

Jonathan, how about Luke Scott?  A little more of an OBP guy, slightly better glove and still a 108 OPS+

edit: Jesus, talk about a bad 2nd half.  Still wouldn't mind him.

Edited by Scott34

AJ, it's a one year deal. Ibanez isn't digressing, he's been pretty steady in his latter years. His swing is still one of the quickest in baseball and it generates a ton of power when he connects.

I already broke down his 1st half vs. 2nd half numbers and why he sucked. He played sparingly and the entire team blew chunks.

Spare me with the Trumbo love, you among many others shit on him and gave him very little trade value when with the Angels.

Chuck, that's not true. I didn't "shit" on him, I just didn't think he had the type of value many were claiming - although I also felt some were underrating him as well. Dipoto got a very good deal for him, but he still got two pitchers with question marks. Most analysts I've read see Santiago as a #5/swingman. Skaggs is a nice grab, but isn't a sure thing.

I'm fine with Ibanez for a one-year, very cheap contract. He just wouldn't be my first choice.

Chuck, that's not true. I didn't "shit" on him, I just didn't think he had the type of value many were claiming - although I also felt some were underrating him as well. Dipoto got a very good deal for him, but he still got two pitchers with question marks. Most analysts I've read see Santiago as a #5/swingman. Skaggs is a nice grab, but isn't a sure thing.

I'm fine with Ibanez for a one-year, very cheap contract. He just wouldn't be my first choice.

Why does is the term swingman suggest he's a 5th starter? Masterson was a swingman a few years back. Just because Hector can relieve and start? He has #3 type stuff, not #5. He more than fills the void left by Vargas.

Skaggs was the top F'n prospect in baseball a year ago. Arizona ****ed with his mechanics, Dipoto already recognizes the change and will get his arm angle back to where it was a year ago.

Downing wasn't a leadoff hitter in 1979, he batted mostly 6th, never leadoff. Miller was the primary leadoff hitter that season. He didn't start leading off for the Angels until 1982.

If I am not mistaken, Downing led  off in 1986.  I know there was a year or two where he did leadoff

I agree, not a big fan of Chavez, Youkilis, Ibanez (as long as they want a major league deal, which I assume they do). If we're going to go with a bit of a risk at DH, I would take a look at Grady Sizemore on a minor league deal or check out the trade market for a guy who could platoon with Grant.

Matsui was only with the Angels for one year (2010), but I agree. He put up solid numbers (.820 OPS).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/matsuhi01.shtml

Can you guys quick talking like Matsui was decent.  He completely sucked!  Then we fell so far behind in the race and raked.  You can put up season numbers all you want, but when the games mattered he sucked.  What made it worse, the guy we gave up for Matsui made the All star game.!