• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrick/Aybar trade question

I get the impression that most are happy with the state of the roster after our trade yesterday, and that any further roster additions will likely come as a result of free agency.  But, would you be willing to trade either Aybar or Kendrick if we acquired a top-flight minor league starter in return?  Someone like Ventura (K.C.), Syndergaard (N.Y. Mets), or Carlos Martinez (St. L).  Or would you prefer to sit tight? 

I get the impression that most are happy with the state of the roster after our trade yesterday, and that any further roster additions will likely come as a result of free agency.  But, would you be willing to trade either Aybar or Kendrick if we acquired a top-flight minor league starter in return?  Someone like Ventura (K.C.), Syndergaard (N.Y. Mets), or Carlos Martinez (St. L).  Or would you prefer to sit tight? 

I wouldn't trade Kendrick or Aybar for one minor league SP. The fail rate is too high, even on top end pitching prospects.

Beside that, Trumbo got us 2 young club controlled starting pitchers with MLB experience. I think Kendrick and Aybar are more valuable than Trumbo is. He should get us equal that or more. I'd be disappointed with one SP prospect, no matter how good.

I think it would be smart to look to trade both.  However, we would have to improve offensive production and that would probably have to come from the DH spot.  I have suggested trying to sign Choo, move Calhoun to trumbo's spot and then trade Aybar or Kendrick.  The trade frees up money for Choo, our offense is improved.  Our OF defense is improved.  If we trade aybar we could move Romine to SS and our defense in the inf.  Kendrick trade would move Green/Lindsay to 2b where our offensive stays the same but our defense in the IF takes a hit.

I think it would be smart to look to trade both.  However, we would have to improve offensive production and that would probably have to come from the DH spot.  I have suggested trying to sign Choo, move Calhoun to trumbo's spot and then trade Aybar or Kendrick.  The trade frees up money for Choo, our offense is improved.  Our OF defense is improved.  If we trade aybar we could move Romine to SS and our defense in the inf.  Kendrick trade would move Green/Lindsay to 2b where our offensive stays the same but our defense in the IF takes a hit.

I'd be ok with this.

Also, if we had to move two pieces to, say, KC to get Ventura and Butler back, I'd be fine with that, too.

If we could get Butler to DH, then whatever offensive dropoff occurs from having Romine start at SS is easily handled. Romine would improve infield D, especially if Green becomes the starting second baseman, although I'd rather see what Lindsey can do.

Of the potential tradeoffs, the biggest one would seem to be defensively with Green in place of Howie. I'd rather keep him.

The money saved by trading Aybar and using Romine at SS could be used many different ways to offset the offensive dropoff that may or may not exist between them this season.

With all of these discussions, we always seem to talk about having one player slotted in one position.  You need 5 SPs for a rotation, you have Kendrick for 2B and Aybar for SS, etc.

But you know what?  Guys get injured all the time.

Of course we need a 6th SP.  Of course we need Howie and Aybar for those two spots.  If Grant Green is playing 2B and he gets injured... then what?!

To me, this is why the 6th SP needs to come from free agency.  Our starting lineup is good, but we don't have the depth and versatility that Bourjos and Trumbo provided.  We have ~20M to spend.  Seems like we're in good shape to make a run at a Garza-level talent that can solidify our rotation and give us the depth we need for the inevitable injuries and slumps that are part of every baseball season.

Aybar has some trade value to the Mets.

One thing we're not talking about is Grant Green as the replacement at SS if Aybar is dealt. That was Green's primary position out of college played hundreds of games there in the minors.

More on Grant Green..

The Call-Up Grant Green

by Nick J. Faleris and Bret Sayre

The Situation: The first-place Oakland Athletics have received lackluster production out of the second base position in 2013—.264/.339/.343 and just one home run through 89 games—and now look to Triple-A Sacramento for an offensive boost in the form of Grant Green. After a solid but unspectacular year in Sactown last summer, Green has broken out in his second tour through the hitter-friendly PCL, triple-slashing .318/.374/.500 through 81 games whiles launching 11 home runs and 25 doubles.

Background: After entering his junior year at USC as a potential top five draft pick in 2009, Green struggled at the plate and in the field, ultimately dropping to Oakland as the 13th overall selection that June. Since then, he’s slowly climbed through the minor league ranks, showing steady growth in his game, and particularly in his approach at the plate. After shuffling around the diamond through his first three full seasons, Green made the permanent move off of shortstop in 2013 and looks to have found a permanent home at the keystone.

Scouting Report: Green projects to have average tools across the board, with a chance for an above-average hit tool thanks to an improved approach at the plate and a simple swing that helps the barrel to the ball more often than not. While he has shown some over-the-fence pop during his minor league tenure, those power spikes have come in home run-friendly environments, and the odds are that Green will be a much larger doubles threat as a major leaguer—particularly in the spacious Coliseum.

Green has improved his production in the field through reps and instruction, but the strongest catalyst for the positive growth may have been the simple switch off the six-spot. At shortstop, his range was pushed at the margins, often leading to hurried actions and imperfect execution. He is a more deliberate defender at second, but has enough athleticism and body control to make the necessary pivots, and his lower half works well enough to cover the necessary ground without sacrificing his ability to finish.

Green is most likely a second-division starter, long term, but given the current state of second base on Oakland’s 25-man, that would be a nice improvement. He should hit for average with a good number of doubles and low-double-digit home runs, and will show some on-base ability while providing positive value on the bases.

Immediate Big-League Future: Green isn’t being promoted to sit on the bench, so he should see the lion’s share of the action at second base. The lack of production thus far from the Athletics’ second basemen should afford Green some adjustment time, as there is no reason not to let him get his reps and find his stride, even if that means some struggles along the way. If Green proves up to the task of adjusting to top-tier pitching in his first taste of big league ball, the A’s will get a much-needed bump in production and Green will lay claim to the inside track on the everyday second base job in Oakland long term. —Nick J. Faleris

Kendrick wasn't enough to get Santiago. The Angels aren't getting a promising young starter for either of those guys.

First, I heard the same argument about Trumbo. "not getting any young pitcher"

Second, Santiago was a major league ready pitcher.  I am advocating promising prospect.  That is a big difference.  Aybar being one of the best defensive SS in the game and a premium position should get us more.

For the right deal, I'd trade either.

Something that has been missed by a lot of people about the team is how terrible the defense was last year. The problem is if we trade Aybar, we lose offense and depth by replacing him with Romine. It would be difficult to find a suitable replacement at SS on the market, or even with a trade (we need to stock the system, not deplete it).

Howie would be easier to trade. But, again there is a drop off in production between Howie and Green-especially defensively. I would do it if we could get someone like Bulter in return. Then I think we take the remaining money to sign a pitcher, and give a bunch of low-risk pitchers invites to spring training for more depth.

First, I heard the same argument about Trumbo. "not getting any young pitcher"

Second, Santiago was a major league ready pitcher.  I am advocating promising prospect.  That is a big difference.  Aybar being one of the best defensive SS in the game and a premium position should get us more.

I can confirm that the Angels have tried to trade Howie and have been unsuccessful in doing so. If that's the case, if you can't get quality in return, you keep him.