• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka is a perfect fit for Moreno

redoctober

Yanks are in worse shape than the Angels and Dodgers with their pitching. They had $150m+ set aside for Cano even after signing Jacoby. Now that money is freed up. They will go all out for Tanaka and land him.

Yup.  They have said many times that he is a top priority for them.

If the owner lets Tanaka go, and the Skanks sign him, they will be right back to 2009 all over again, giving about $400 million of contracts to new players (Ellsbury, Tanaka, McCann, and Beltran).

The 2009 spend crazy stretch yielded them a fast declining Pay Fraud (contract extension), fast declining Teixeira, and now fast declining C.C.

One WS title came immediately in 2009, followed by ZERO WS appearances since then.  

And still with significant holes at SS (Jeter turning 40 soon) and 3B, and pitching questions at this point with all of their starters.....Sabathia declining, Nova better in 2013 but not a sure bet for #3 spot, Kuroda struggling after the ASB, etc.....and no more Mo Rivera in the pen 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Looks like the Angels will bid, and the Yankees won't

@BillShaikin: Scioscia says he has watched video on Tanaka. "He's a unique talent. You can see why he's coveted." #Angels will bid, probably longshot.

@Joelsherman1: Cashman on if holding back $ in Hal's budget that could go now for 2b, SP, etc wait for Tanaka "no, we r ready to rock and roll" #Yankees

True. There really is no reason not to.

What I don't understand is that MLB and MLBPA objected to the old posting fee because they felt too much money would be taken away from the MLB players market. But by allowing multiple teams join the same bid will only create a bidding war. It's likely that MORE money will be spent this way. The team that gets screwed is the Japanese club posting that player since they get capped at $20m.. Instead of doing the posting fee, they should calculate a percentage of the contract to the Japanese club.

I believe that the posting fee restructuring was a calculated method of insuring that the Japanese league keeps its top talent in Japan. There is no other explanation for them agreeing to it.

This is going to be short and sweet.

Moreno is a business man. The signings of Pujols, Wilson, and Hamilton were important for getting attention (Hamilton specifically took airtime away from the Dodgers) and keeping the Angels interesting with star power while the farm system gets rebuilt.

Tanaka, if posted, is the only player that has that same potential by drawing in fans and media (the Ichiro effect) alike to increase revenue.

This is all horse crap. Winning draws fans.

I may be mistaken, but didn't attendance and ratings both go down in Pujols' 1st year here? He was pretty much considered the best player in the game, AND Trout came up and played like GOD as a rookie, but the ratings and attendance didn't move much. Because they didn't win.

Arte needs to stop worrying about "star power" and other nonsense and get out way and let baseball people make baseball decisions.

Maybe Tanaka will be all that y'all think he will. Or maybe he will be like Tomokazu Ohka or Shigetoshi Hasegawa. Do you really think there is an "Iwakuma effect"  in Seattle? I doubt it. And he is one of the best pitchers in the league.

Attendance is not the end all, be all.  I'm not saying that Pujols was or wasn't the cause of anything.  However, Arte is going to look at season ticket sales and his gigantic tv deal long before he is going to look at attendance.  If he chooses to attribute the gains in those two items to the Pujols signing, then you aren't going to convince him otherwise.

Winning does draw fans. Do you think the 2012 Angels would have been better without Pujols and Wilson? Does a crappy team with Pujols or without Pujols = a huge tv contract?

It's simple. The Angels had a team on the downturn due to a terrible farm system. In order to keep the team competitive on the field and off while restocking that farm system, they had to go out and get some stars.

And the Seattle comparison is interesting, though by my hasty research, there is roughly a population difference of 100k when comparing the greater Seattle area and OC/LA, not to mention the corporate hubs of Torrance and Irvine. (Though, Nintendo does own 55% of the Mariners.) Not that I have any expertise in such things.