• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nick Saban

Because of recruiting and $$$$ paid, college vs. pro are miles apart.  I can't think of a recognized college coach Texas would hire.  Texas is considered a top 5 job in college football.  So I don't think guys like Gruban, Herm Edwards, Shanahan, Lovie, etc. as viable candidates. Everyone speaks highly of the Vandy guy.  Is he that good?

He is staying at 'bama.

Wonder who Texas gets.

Edit:  Sounds like they are going to stick with Mack Brown one more year.  Major PR blow to Texas IMO.

According to one report I read, Brown was prepared to step down quietly but it was leaked to the media, which pissed him off and made him dig in. If Texas dismisses him now, it will be a PR nightmare.

Because of recruiting and $$$$ paid, college vs. pro are miles apart.  I can't think of a recognized college coach Texas would hire.  Texas is considered a top 5 job in college football.  So I don't think guys like Gruban, Herm Edwards, Shanahan, Lovie, etc. as viable candidates. Everyone speaks highly of the Vandy guy.  Is he that good?

In a word, yes. He won nine games competing in the SEC at a school that has only a fraction of the resources of their opponents, plus brutal admission standards (only about 13 percent of the prospective students who apply at Vanderbilt get in). This is a school who puts so little emphasis on athletics that they once went for almost a year without an athletic director. Vandy doesn't recruit head-to-head against their main opponents on a lot of the top players because they couldn't qualify academically. A lot of the guys they get want to play football but have their eye on a Vanderbilt diploma to do something else after graduation.

I talked to one of their academic recruiters during my senior year in high school (this was in the early 1970s, mind you). He asked me about the possibility of walking on for football, even though I was a musician and I didn't play football in high school. He knew that I would qualify academically, and my guess is that he thought that I had enough size to possibly help them on the football field as well.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

How come nobody ever asked me if I wanted to walk on to play football at their college?

Because you're 5 foot nothing, 100 and nothing, and have barely a spec of athletic ability. 

Edited by st1ckboy