• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto to look to FA to fill DH and SP spots

Chuck

Um.... they wouldn't be surrendering a pic... and my joke was pointing out that you said, "Ok, so if someone likes him, and he's cheap, and they would give up a 1st rounder, then yeah, he'll get signed," which is true about EVERY free agent who has ever signed.

Yeah not sure what I was talking about in regards to the draft pick lol...

And my point was that Morales is looking for far more money than he's probably worth on the market. I think he's worth something like 2/15 realistically since he's a bat only guy and isn't a great hitter.

This really depends on what is most important to the Angels, pitching, offense, depth, staying under the luxury tax, or keeping / hoarding prospects?

• Morales could be had for very cheap because he will cost us our first round pick, and he isn't worth much beyond that, but he might be the player I'd want most to solve a DH/1B issue at low cost. + to luxury tax, - to prospects + to depth

how does morales not cost us much.  He would cost us at least 14 million.  Isn't that what the qualifying offer is?  Plus a draft pick, which I think we can't offord to lose.  I however, do believe he would be a great replacement of Trumbo.

• Tanaka would be the best way to solve our lack of a third starter, and probably the best move they could make to turn this into a well rounded team. He'll cost far more than our budget currently allows, in theory. + to pitching, - to luxury tax, + to prospects

• Choo would be an amazing boost to the offense. With him hitting in front of Trout I bet 2014 would become one of our franchise's all time offenses. He'll cost a ton as well. + offense, - luxury tax, - to prospects

Couldn't we afford Choo if we traded Kendrick?  Kendrick has to be replaceable with Green and Lindsay.  If he isn't than why trade for Green in the first place?  I like this option.  Sign Choo and keep our draft pick.  Move Calhoun to DH/1b back up.  Trade Kendrick for top of the line prospects (yes they are never a certainty to make the majors, but it immediately rebuilds our farm system.)

• Ibanez can replace Trumbo but he's kind of the boring candidate here which might make him the option we go. He'll cost more dollars than Morales I bet and only addresses DH. + to luxury tax, + to prospects

• Garza is likely a great fit for the third starter spot. He's gona cost some money though, since he's the biggest name on the market, masquerading as a #2 starter. Wont cost us our pick, which is a big plus. + to pitching, - to luxury tax, + to prospects

Going with one of the low cost DH options gives us the opportunity to go with an additional low cost SP option to compete with Skaggs, Richards, and Santiago. This would provide insurance and depth only, not a realized upgrade in the rotation.

Scioscia on the following two topics.

On whether the Angels still need to add to the rotation via free agency ...

I don't think Jerry [Dipoto] is done as far as trying to find pitching depth and adding to the rotation. He has a lot of things on the table that he's looking at. And if we're able to acquire someone, it'd probably be important; if we don't, I think we're in a much more solid side on the pitching end than we were for most season last year.

On what kind of bat fits in the DH spot ...

I think there's a number of ways to go because we have versatility with a guy like Kole Calhoun that can play first base. It can be on the defensive side, a corner outfield and first base, to a player that might be just restricted to a DH spot or a leftfield spot.  And so as far as the bat being left‑handed or right‑handed, I think you're always happy to add left‑handed depth in your lineup. But there's also, as we go through the whole exercise of looking at rosters and possibilities, there's also a role for a right‑handed bat that can fit very nice.

On whether Pujols will still need a lot of time at DH ...

I think we'll probably be proactive with that and do it on a hopefully preventative basis. Albert is at his best when he's playing first base. We're a better team when he can play first base and bring that defensive component to our team. We'll look at that first and just try to manage the health issue of how he feels on a daily basis. I do think we'll use him DH days just to keep him fresh, as we will a lot of our guys. But I don't think that he needs to be pigeonholed. And it's not in our best interest as a team to pigeonhole him in the DH, because I think he's going to be healthy and ready to play first.

On where C.J. Cron fits in ...

I think C.J. is a guy that is working his way on to our depth chart.  As far as breaking Spring Training and making our team, that might be a bit of a stretch.  But I think we're very comfortable with the fact that at some point next year, if he makes the same improvement that he made this year in the Fall League to where he was during the season this year to the Fall League, and in winter ball he's swinging the bat well down in the Dominican.  He will be in our depth chart, no doubt.

Scioscia on the following two topics.

On whether the Angels still need to add to the rotation via free agency ...

I don't think Jerry [Dipoto] is done as far as trying to find pitching depth and adding to the rotation. He has a lot of things on the table that he's looking at. And if we're able to acquire someone, it'd probably be important; if we don't, I think we're in a much more solid side on the pitching end than we were for most season last year.

On what kind of bat fits in the DH spot ...

I think there's a number of ways to go because we have versatility with a guy like Kole Calhoun that can play first base. It can be on the defensive side, a corner outfield and first base, to a player that might be just restricted to a DH spot or a leftfield spot.  And so as far as the bat being left‑handed or right‑handed, I think you're always happy to add left‑handed depth in your lineup. But there's also, as we go through the whole exercise of looking at rosters and possibilities, there's also a role for a right‑handed bat that can fit very nice.

On whether Pujols will still need a lot of time at DH ...

I think we'll probably be proactive with that and do it on a hopefully preventative basis. Albert is at his best when he's playing first base. We're a better team when he can play first base and bring that defensive component to our team. We'll look at that first and just try to manage the health issue of how he feels on a daily basis. I do think we'll use him DH days just to keep him fresh, as we will a lot of our guys. But I don't think that he needs to be pigeonholed. And it's not in our best interest as a team to pigeonhole him in the DH, because I think he's going to be healthy and ready to play first.

On where C.J. Cron fits in ...

I think C.J. is a guy that is working his way on to our depth chart.  As far as breaking Spring Training and making our team, that might be a bit of a stretch.  But I think we're very comfortable with the fact that at some point next year, if he makes the same improvement that he made this year in the Fall League to where he was during the season this year to the Fall League, and in winter ball he's swinging the bat well down in the Dominican.  He will be in our depth chart, no doubt.

I think all of this makes sense.

Personally, it's not the worst thing if we don't get a full-time DH. That spot can be used to give some of our older guys a "day off", and Trout can occasionally DH as well to stay fresh. Or Green could DH. I could certainly see a rotation of 20-30 games at DH for each of the outfielders, Pujols, Green, and Conger.

Yeah, I'd be good with Morse too. He was injured last year player in Seattle which stripped his power and ability to connect. If you look at his previous two seasons in Washington he was pretty studly and could more than fill the void left by Trumbo, especially when not counted on to be that guy, down in the order (around 8th).

I think all of this makes sense.

Personally, it's not the worst thing if we don't get a full-time DH. That spot can be used to give some of our older guys a "day off", and Trout can occasionally DH as well to stay fresh. Or Green could DH. I could certainly see a rotation of 20-30 games at DH for each of the outfielders, Pujols, Green, and Conger.

For the board's sake, I'm glad he didn't mention JB Shuck's name here. Phew!