• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto to look to FA to fill DH and SP spots

Chuck

This really depends on what is most important to the Angels, pitching, offense, depth, staying under the luxury tax, or keeping / hoarding prospects?

• Morales could be had for very cheap because he will cost us our first round pick, and he isn't worth much beyond that, but he might be the player I'd want most to solve a DH/1B issue at low cost. + to luxury tax, - to prospects + to depth

• Tanaka would be the best way to solve our lack of a third starter, and probably the best move they could make to turn this into a well rounded team. He'll cost far more than our budget currently allows, in theory. + to pitching, - to luxury tax, + to prospects

• Choo would be an amazing boost to the offense. With him hitting in front of Trout I bet 2014 would become one of our franchise's all time offenses. He'll cost a ton as well. + offense, - luxury tax, - to prospects

• Ibanez can replace Trumbo but he's kind of the boring candidate here which might make him the option we go. He'll cost more dollars than Morales I bet and only addresses DH. + to luxury tax, + to prospects

• Garza is likely a great fit for the third starter spot. He's gona cost some money though, since he's the biggest name on the market, masquerading as a #2 starter. Wont cost us our pick, which is a big plus. + to pitching, - to luxury tax, + to prospects

Going with one of the low cost DH options gives us the opportunity to go with an additional low cost SP option to compete with Skaggs, Richards, and Santiago. This would provide insurance and depth only, not a realized upgrade in the rotation.

"Morales could be had for very cheap because he will cost us our first round pick, and he isn't worth much beyond that, but he might be the player I'd want most to solve a DH/1B issue at low cost. + to luxury tax, - to prospects + to depth"

I've seen that Morales is looking for around 3 years 30 million. That's too much especially with the loss of a draft pick.

I'm liking the idea of Ibanez more and more. His offense is very similar to Trumbo's. If you can get him for 1 year 3-4 million, I say pull the trigger.

"Morales could be had for very cheap because he will cost us our first round pick, and he isn't worth much beyond that, but he might be the player I'd want most to solve a DH/1B issue at low cost. + to luxury tax, - to prospects + to depth"

I've seen that Morales is looking for around 3 years 30 million. That's too much especially with the loss of a draft pick.

I'm liking the idea of Ibanez more and more. His offense is very similar to Trumbo's. If you can get him for 1 year 3-4 million, I say pull the trigger.

I just can't believe Morales will get that much. I'm seriously shocked he didn't take the qualifying offer to begin with, because that was way over his one year value.

Tanaka makes sense. #1 FA starter if posted, good age to contract value. No pick loss.

Garza does not. Likely going to command too much money over too many years, but no pick loss. Not consistent.

Arroyo makes sense. Age a factor, but he is consistent. Shorter term contract only.

Colon does not. FA pitching over 40 is not usually a good fit. Steriod concerns. Fat.

Hammel makes sense. Off an injury, but used to be solid. No pick loss. 1 year make it deal possible.

Jimenez and E Santana do not. Too much money, too many concerns, and you lose a pick? Pass.

Santana makes sense on a minor league deal, but tough to come back from the type of injury he had. Low Cost, High Reward potential.

It's a varied group of names, but you'd have to hope they're on this page.

Haha, fat

I just can't believe Morales will get that much. I'm seriously shocked he didn't take the qualifying offer to begin with, because that was way over his one year value.

He's probably looking for a deal that will guarantee more money in his pocket.

If a team really wants him and is willing to give up the pick, they may be willing to go 2-3 years around 10 mil per. Just my guess.

the M's need him desperately, and boras knows it. they have ZERO right handed hitter worth a warm bucket of spit, and the best out there is the ridiculous nelson cruz who's asking for $15 mill/year. morales/boras know they can always go back to seattle if nobody else bites.

Didn't Cruz turn down 5/75 from Seattle?

Cruz has to be the most overrated free agent in quite some time. He's worth 3/30 max.

Remember there are teams like Seattle who think Nelson Cruz is worth upwards up 60 million dollars...

I'm sure they'd be more willing to surrender a pick and pay way less for Morales.

Um.... they wouldn't be surrendering a pic... and my joke was pointing out that you said, "Ok, so if someone likes him, and he's cheap, and they would give up a 1st rounder, then yeah, he'll get signed," which is true about EVERY free agent who has ever signed. 

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Brewers are "working to try to secure a return" of Corey Hart.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has reported that Hart could make a decision as soon as Tuesday night, and Jim Duquette of SiriusXM has reported that the Brewers are now out on Ike Davis, who was viewed as the club's backup plan. In other words, things are trending towards Hart re-signing with the Brew Crew soon. An announcing could be forthcoming.