• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Possible DH/1B Replacements

Hubs

Hart as long as it's an incentive-laden deal.

I would be in favor of a Howie-to-KC-for-Butler deal.

howie & ? for butler and rp tim collins. KC has said that collins is available. i think that's a very sellable and fair deal for both teams.

if i was really trying to work drayton, i'd try to get hosmer instead.

Edited by ukyah

I wouldn't mind butler....but why would we trade howie for him?

Howies bat (and glove) at 2B is more valuable than butlers bat only (IMO).

Now, if it was howie and 'X' for butler and another starter, I get it. But we still NEED another starter, and howies one of the few remaining trade chips. If we do move him, I want a pitcher not another bat.

Was there any actual talk of Butler for Kendrick or was that just a scenario someone on here came up with? I'd love to see that happen.  Dude had a down year last year and still put up numbers better than Kendrick does most years.  And he's only 27.  Plus it would allow Green to play fuil time who I would way rather see in the lineup than Shuck. 

there hasn't been any chatter about HK for butler, other than here. they're pretty similar results wise. the difference being one is a 1b/dh and the other is a 2b. those similar numbers are very good for a 2b, not so good for a dh. i like the trade because we should be able to get a good reliever in tim collins, who has closer stuff and i think butler will go back to 25-30 homers and approach .300 avg.

i'm not sure yet, but i believe it would free up some more money for another FA starter, like garza.

Edited by ukyah

Was there any actual talk of Butler for Kendrick or was that just a scenario someone on here came up with? I'd love to see that happen.  Dude had a down year last year and still put up numbers better than Kendrick does most years.  And he's only 27.  Plus it would allow Green to play fuil time who I would way rather see in the lineup than Shuck. 

None. It's just wishful thinking. KC doesn't have any interest in trading Butler. 

I wouldn't mind butler....but why would we trade howie for him?

Howies bat (and glove) at 2B is more valuable than butlers bat only (IMO).

Now, if it was howie and 'X' for butler and another starter, I get it. But we still NEED another starter, and howies one of the few remaining trade chips. If we do move him, I want a pitcher not another bat.

Why do you and others say we need another starter? I'd like another just to have the depth but I wouldn't say we NEED one.  We have 2 studs and 3 decent starters with a lot of upside to be more. 

Why do you and others say we need another starter? I'd like another just to have the depth but I wouldn't say we NEED one. We have 2 studs and 3 decent starters with a lot of upside to be more.

because while richards, skaggs etc have good upsides, they are still young and still figuring things out.

As far as weaver and cj being studs....yes, they've had great careers. And I exoect them to still be solid. But they aren't getting younger. And any sort of injury to any one of these guys, and blanton is back in the rotation.

So why not just have Green DH where his glove won't cause any problems or cost the Angels runs?    

Butler BTW put up a 116 OPS+ as an all bat DH.  Howie Kendrick put up an 118 OPS+ as a two way player.   Butler has amassed 12.9 WAR since 2009 -- he will earn 20 million the next two years.  Over the same span, HK has put up 16.3 WAR and will earn 19 Mil the next two years.   Butler has also led the AL in GIDPs twice and had at least 20 in 5 of the last  6 seasons -- HK had hit into more than 16 DPs twice in his entire career.

So, to recap.  If you want to weaken the defense at 2B -- pay more, get less, and up the number of DPs -- you totally make that trade.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

So why not just have Green DH where his glove won't cause any problems or cost the Angels runs?    

Butler BTW put up a 116 OPS+ as an all bat DH.  Howie Kendrick put up an 118 OPS+ as a two way player.   Butler has amassed 12.9 WAR since 2009 -- he will earn 20 million the next two years.  Over the same span, HK has put up 16.3 WAR and will earn 19 Mil the next two years.   Butler has also led the AL in GIDPs twice and had at least 20 in 5 of the last  6 seasons -- HK had hit into more than 16 DPs twice in his entire career.

So, to recap.  If you want to weaken the defense at 2B -- pay more, get less, and up the number of DPs -- you totally make that trade.  

Your fancy stats confuse me. 

I'd like to see Green start at 2b because he would an above average offensive player at that position whereas he would probably be the worst offensive DH in the league, unless we DH Shuck, and then Shuck would take that honor. 

Butler had above an .800 OPS for multiple years before last year.  He's only 27.  I like him a lot but this is all pointless because it's never going to happen. 

Why do you and others say we need another starter? I'd like another just to have the depth but I wouldn't say we NEED one.  We have 2 studs and 3 decent starters with a lot of upside to be more. 

It's because if one goes down (my bet's on Weaver), you-know-who's fat ass gets trotted out there.

Your fancy stats confuse me. 

I'd like to see Green start at 2b because he would an above average offensive player at that position whereas he would probably be the worst offensive DH in the league, unless we DH Shuck, and then Shuck would take that honor. 

Butler had above an .800 OPS for multiple years before last year.  He's only 27.  I like him a lot but this is all pointless because it's never going to happen. 

Jason Giambi "hit"  .182/.282/ .371 (in 186 AB's). (Only 4 DH's qualified for the batting title last season). 

I like Green to get some DH AB's. He need's AB's to develop and there's not a position for him left on this team.

Edited by Greg_Bearringer