• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings Strategy: The Gamble

The Angels sure cant find them

Actually, I would argue that they've had no problem finding those guys. It's guys better than that that they have trouble with.

And if they have had problems finding those guys, trading one of their best prospects for one hardly seems like a great solution.

Edited by jshep

I don't know much about Salas, other than the fact that everyone here dislikes him. I am sure we would all like a sure thing as it relates to bullpen arms, someone like Scot Shields, sadly, there are very few of those. From one season to the next bullpen arms are the most unpredictable asset in baseball. I am not saying Salas is going to be good, I am just saying that adding arms that have had success is easier said than done. He had success in 2011 and in AAA last year. He could be a solid pitcher, he could be league average (which is an upgrade for this bullpen) or he could suck. Time will tell. What I do know is that the cost of pitching is dumb, I mean really really dumb, and considering I free agency is rapidly becoming a quality wasteland more and more each year, I think the cost of pitching will continue to rise.

Why was Moreno so willing to spend on the long ball, but isn't willing to spend on pitching, given that pitching wins championships? 

Even if he goes $10 million over the tax threshhold, it's only a couple of million of tax that he pays. 

Is it a vendetta that he has against the tax in general?

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't know much about Salas, other than the fact that everyone here dislikes him. I am sure we would all like a sure thing as it relates to bullpen arms, someone like Scot Shields, sadly, there are very few of those. From one season to the next bullpen arms are the most unpredictable asset in baseball. I am not saying Salas is going to be good, I am just saying that adding arms that have had success is easier said than done. He had success in 2011 and in AAA last year. He could be a solid pitcher, he could be league average (which is an upgrade for this bullpen) or he could suck. Time will tell. What I do know is that the cost of pitching is dumb, I mean really really dumb, and considering I free agency is rapidly becoming a quality wasteland more and more each year, I think the cost of pitching will continue to rise.

Which is why we should NEVER, EEEVER trade key pitching prospects away again.

Actually, I would argue that they've had no problem finding those guys. It's guys better than that that they have trouble with.

And if they have had problems finding those guys, trading one of their best prospects for one hardly seems like a great solution.

Salas is better than any of the guys grabbed during the season last year hoping one of them would stick. He isnt a guarantee like those guys but he is better. Also, Grichuk was likely going to get passed on the depth chart soon and young OF is not a problem for the organization right now. I am not excited about Salas but I also see little reason to continue to moan about the move. 

Why was Moreno so willing to spend on the long ball, but isn't willing to spend on pitching, given that pitching wins championships?

Even if he goes $10 million over the tax threshhold, it's only a couple of million of tax that he pays.

Is it a vendetta that he has against the tax in general?

Its not going over the tax this year that worries him, it is the escalation clauses for repeat offenders that scares him is my guess. So, if you read between the lines, that tells me he knows he is going to be paying Trout a lot of money. Also AO, free agent pitching to me is a lot more risky than free agent bats.

Which is why we should NEVER, EEEVER trade key pitching prospects away again.

Ok, so we have traded away two pitchers that have had moderate success in the majors? Will Smith and Torres? Who else? The point isn't never trade any of them away it is trade for the right pieces, sadly Greinke wasn't the piece that was going to stick around.

Ok, so we have traded away two pitchers that have had moderate success in the majors? Will Smith and Torres? Who else? The point isn't never trade any of them away it is trade for the right pieces, sadly Greinke wasn't the piece that was going to stick around.

Do Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs ring a bell?

The more I look at Salas and his stuff, the more I'm confused at the overreaction to the Grichuk for Salas swap by some fans here.

Last I checked, we needed a bullpen arm, not a 5th outfielder in 2014-2017.

He's not a knock out closer. But as a guy who soaks up innings as the 4th or 5th best guy in the pen? Sign me up. Adding Burnett and Smith along with Salas (I get the feeling Jepsen is heading for greener pastures) is an improvement. 

It is a crap shoot.   Which is why it's better to hold on to as many young pitchers as possible, in the hope that enough solid ones shake out.   Of course, some guessing is involved if you have to use one to acquire another need.    But you have to limit how many are traded, and the scouts/development folks have to do their job well too.

Drafting 22 pitchers in the 2013 draft was a good step in the right direction.