• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How is Cano worth Pujols $$$?

halonatic13

Saying the stats aren't close is a little unfair to Cano. He doesn't have the 10 year track record Pujols had but he's been the best 2nd baseman in baseball for a whilw now.

Prices have also shot up since Pujols signed so it doesn't look nearly as bad.

But 8 of Pujols 10 years will be during Cano's, it's not like they were signed 10 years apart.

But 8 of Pujols 10 years will be during Cano's, it's not like they were signed 10 years apart.

Oh I get that but prices have still gone up even in just 2 years.

Would Jason Vargas or Scott Feldman have made 30 million 2 off seasons ago? Contracts are just trending upwards in a huge way right now.

I know I am in the minority, but I disagree that Pujol's contract is bad  I am glad he is an Angel and look forward to his healthy return next season.

The Hamilton contract is a different story.  That is a bad contract.

As is the Blanton contract.

As is the Wells contract.

As is the Trout contract. (Pay the man.)

How is Pujols worth Pujols $$$?

Hamilton's contract is much better in that we are only on the hook for 4 more years. The end of Pujols' contract is going to be brutal.

Pretty much. I don't understand how anyone could actually believe Hamilton's contract is worse than Albert's

Neither will provide enough value to make the contracts worth it.  It's gonna come down to health really.  By the time these contracts are up, the highest paid players will have and AAV of 40mil.  The big kicker in terms of value is what Cano does the first 3-4 years.  If he puts up 6+ WAR per season like he has for the last few years, then he has a good chance of providing more than pujols will because of Albert's lack of production last year.  That was a huge blow to the value of that contract.  Everyone knows its gonna suck years 5-10.  It shouldn't have years 1 and 2

Pretty much. I don't understand how anyone could actually believe Hamilton's contract is worse than Albert's

I had a difficult time watching Hamilton consistently swing and miss at off-speed breaking balls 3 feet off the plate while being paid to be a middle of the order bat.  I am not looking forward to 4 more years of that.  I guess I prefer to watch the "decline" of Pujols than the "prime" of Hamilton.  If he is still playing, I think Pujols in year 10 will have a better year than Hamilton did in year 1 in their respective contracts.

I know I may be the only one thinking this way.  I enjoy living in my own little world.  Everyone knows my name.

I had a difficult time watching Hamilton consistently swing and miss at off-speed breaking balls 3 feet off the plate while being paid to be a middle of the order bat. I am not looking forward to 4 more years of that. I guess I prefer to watch the "decline" of Pujols than the "prime" of Hamilton. If he is still playing, I think Pujols in year 10 will have a better year than Hamilton did in year 1 in their respective contracts.

I know I may be the only one thinking this way. I enjoy living in my own little world. Everyone knows my name.

#5 will either retire or be DFA'ed before the end of his Albert Pujols of a contract.

Apples and oranges. Cano has been very productive at a premium position. You don't compare stats between Cano and Pujols. You compare them between Cano and other 2nd basemen, and when you do, it's not even close.

Maybe, but the contract is almost identical, hence the comparison. The Mariners just paid for a 30-plus middle infielder what we paid for a 30-plus first baseman. Pujols is a lot more likely to play first base near the end of his contract than Cano is to play second near the end of his.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The sad part is if the current Angels state of the union was made public, we wouldn't be much different. Between Reagins being way way over his head, giving Scoscia too much control and tenure, Arte being empowered by the drastic rise in club valuation, Dipoto making some choices which went bad quickly.

One of those speaking out is Blengino, the former No. 2 in Zduriencik’s front office. Blengino, who was working for the Milwaukee Brewers with Zduriencik at the time, said he authored virtually the entire job application package Zduriencik gave the Mariners in 2008, depicting a dual-threat candidate melding traditional scouting with advanced statistical analysis.

Blengino said he prepared the package because he was versed in the hot trend of using advanced stats for team decisions.

“Jack portrayed himself as a scouting/stats hybrid because that’s what he needed to get the job,” Blengino said. “But Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him. But he knew he needed it to get in the door.”

One of those speaking out is Blengino, the former No. 2 in Zduriencik’s front office. Blengino, who was working for the Milwaukee Brewers with Zduriencik at the time, said he authored virtually the entire job application package Zduriencik gave the Mariners in 2008, depicting a dual-threat candidate melding traditional scouting with advanced statistical analysis.

Blengino said he prepared the package because he was versed in the hot trend of using advanced stats for team decisions.

“Jack portrayed himself as a scouting/stats hybrid because that’s what he needed to get the job,” Blengino said. “But Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him. But he knew he needed it to get in the door.”

Sounds like the way many people get ahead in business.  Very few professions consistently promote or hire based exclusively on merit, achievement and leadership skills.  I am the exception and have earned every promotion and bonus.  The fact that my parents own the business is simply an interesting side note and has no bearing on this discussion.

Sounds like the way many people get ahead in business.  Very few professions consistently promote or hire based exclusively on merit, achievement and leadership skills.  I am the exception and have earned every promotion and bonus.  The fact that my parents own the business is simply an interesting side note and has no bearing on this discussion.

LOL