• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariners sign Cano to 10yr/$240 mill deal

John Shay

Wow.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Paying Cano $28 mill when he's 41 is absurd.  Clubs who make deals like this when PED use is so low are desperate....so yeah, that's the M's. 

On the other hand, the only incentive FA have coming to seattle is getting VASTLY overpaid.  there is no other incentive for coming to the abyss of Seattle/Safeco.  If Cano is even slightly successful, it might entice other FA to come.  it's a bigger deal than warm weather/big market/southern USA teams understand.  

It also opens up a possible trade package of Nick Franklin, Dustin Ackley, and a pitcher like Paxton for a big name outfielder.  

At the rate salaries are escalating, who knows what that 28 mil will be worth down the road.   The nice thing about Cano is as he ages and gets worse defensively he can move to 1B, then DH..  In the meantime youre getting 1B production out of a 2B.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Wow.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Paying Cano $28 mill when he's 41 is absurd.  Clubs who make deals like this when PED use is so low are desperate....so yeah, that's the M's. 

On the other hand, the only incentive FA have coming to seattle is getting VASTLY overpaid.  there is no other incentive for coming to the abyss of Seattle/Safeco.  If Cano is even slightly successful, it might entice other FA to come.  it's a bigger deal than warm weather/big market/southern USA teams understand.  

It also opens up a possible trade package of Nick Franklin, Dustin Ackley, and a pitcher like Paxton for a big name outfielder.  

So if paying Cano $28 mil when he's 41 is absurd and desperate.  What does that make the Angels paying Pujols $30 million when he's 31 mean?

you're absolutely ridiculous.  stop with the self righteousness and grow up.  these are professional athletes trying to maximize the amount of money they make. it's a business. He's not hurting anyone, he's not selling sub-prime mortgages, he's not manipulating the stock market - he's playing for a different baseball team that will pay him more money. Jesus. 

“How much more do you need? Could have got more, whatever. Who cares? If $85 million is not enough to take care of my family and generations to come, then I’m pretty stupid.”

-—Los Angeles Angels pitching ace Jered Weaver,after signing a 5 year, $85 million contract to stay with Angels.

Weaver still could have held out for more. Instead he weighed what he wanted from baseball and decided a home town discount still makes him a very rich man.

I just don't want to hear the bullshit that Cano made this decision because he liked the city, likes the atmosphere, likes the sales speech. He didn't like any of those things when the Mariners came up with their firs offer. He liked more money and doesn't really care which locker room has his uniform. If Cleveland had offered more money he would have been in Cleveland.

He wasn't a free agent. He risked losing money if he became injured or ineffective.

Its a mistake to target Tanaka gien our payroll limitations. My lowerase V button isn't working, nor my lowerase C. lolololol

Keyboards are much cheaper than MLB players, go to Frys.

I think everyone is making up payroll limitations that the Angels haven't yet established. Like last season and the season before and the season before..., people assume the Angels are cash strapped or worried about the luxury tax. I think Arte is more concerned the team is going to end up in 3rd pace again.

Of course once Trout gets his $400 million dollar extension there might just be a little scaling back on how much they put out for the post game buffet.

“How much more do you need? Could have got more, whatever. Who cares? If $85 million is not enough to take care of my family and generations to come, then I’m pretty stupid.”

-—Los Angeles Angels pitching ace Jered Weaver,after signing a 5 year, $85 million contract to stay with Angels.

Where's the outrage from every other free agent we signed who signed for more money. Pujols Hamilton. It is a business if you don't leave your current job for a job who's going to pay you more money over 10 years than you are not the best business man. 

Its a mistake to target Tanaka gien our payroll limitations. My lowerase V button isn't working, nor my lowerase C. lolololol

the halos made moves early last year for Blanton and Hansen. 

If you are going after a premier FA, then go hard and fast.  Make your move. 

For everything else, let the market develop. 

I really don't think they are targeting Tanaka at all right now.  He's gonna be too expensive now that the posting system has been revamped.  His AAV will be closer to 18-20mil I think and there are indications that they aren't thrilled about going above the CBT.  They might, but it looks like they are going to try to stay below it. 

They are going to go bargain shopping after everything is picked over.  Sometimes you can get a really good deal that way.  Sometimes, you get nothing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels moved on Garza quickly to fill the #3 spot.  I can see them waiting on a trade or potential lower tier FA to see what develops.  I think it's imperative to make a move for either Garza/Tanaka (if posted) as quickly as possible, so they have a little more wiggle room with waiting out other FA SP or trades once teams get a little more needy.  This could play out for awhile. 

I guess I was wrong, Cano is greedier than I thought. Must make a mental note to never bet against athletes doing dumb things.

Dumb? I'm not so sure Cano thinks playing for the Yankees is all it's cracked up to be. And more importantly, Seattle just may be a better team when it's all said and done. There is also the idea that, as many have claimed, Seattle is not a bad place to live, with a ton less media scrutiny.

240 million, better team, less scrutiny, nice environment. Sounds like a fairly intelligent move to me.  

Robinson Cano is never going to sign with Seattle. Jay Z created this entire scenario to bluff the Yankees into playing millions more and it blew up in his face because Jay Z horribly miscalculated how it would play out. Turns out the Mariners were serious, believed they sincerely had a shot at signing Cano, and made an outrageous offer. Backed against the wall Jay Z and Cano now have two choices: take the Mariners money and play in Seattle or go back to the Yankees with their tails between their legs and take Cashman's lower offer. 

I don't feel bad for the Mariners because they were naive to believe Cano was serious about playing there. What is sad about all of this is Scott Boras and the Yankees end up the winners.  

I was totally wrong. 

It was kind of like the Werth deal in DC. DC knew they had to overpay to start to get talent to sign with them so they did what they had to do. Now, the next time a free agent is out there Seattle becomes at option, where as before, you couldn't really say that.

That's a perfect example. Seattle is going to be a way more attractive option for some free agents now.