• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about this: Mark Trumbo for Jake Odorizzi

Chuck

Jacob Turner? The same guy who couldn't strike anyone out at AAA (and was terrible)? The same Jacob Turner who was terrible in the majors last year? No thanks.

Turner has really high potential upside. Reason I choose Turner is because his value is down at the moment, that could lean in our favor of getting the Marlins to include Cishek. If we chose Henderson Alvarez, I think that eliminates that possibility, because Alvarez's value is higher than Turner right now. As much as Trumbo strikes out, it really wouldn't be a bad idea if we were able to acquire both for him. Marlins have stated to really be interested in Trumbo, so that can play a factor. Right now the D'Backs have set their eyes on Trumbo, supposedly Tyler Skaggs is up in the air for him. But Skaggs has me worried, he broke into the majors with a fastball that was at 96 mph, but its steadily declining. Right now it sits at 89-90, so that's a hazard to me.

Edited by Tapeworm

5.87 K/9

4.12 BB/9

And his GB rate is just around league average.

His peripherals were junk at AAA, too. Color me unimpressed with Jacob Turner.

This

Wasting Trumbo on Turner would be a huge mistake

Edited by SoWhat

Jacob Turner? The same guy who couldn't strike anyone out at AAA (and was terrible)? The same Jacob Turner who was terrible in the majors last year? No thanks.

WTF has been happening to his K rate?   Dude has gone from being a guy with a 4:1 K/W rate to under 2:1.   He hardly resembles the pitcher who dominated the FSL as a 19 year old.   I know he's a sinker cutter guy but, working at 90-91 as a 22 year old makes a guy wonder what he will be able to do as a 26/27 year old once he's piled on some innings.

Edited by Inside Pitch

But Skaggs has me worried, he broke into the majors with a fastball that was at 96 mph, but its steadily declining. Right now it sits at 89-90, so that's a hazard to me.

I was watching him and Corbin when both were in the Angels system -- I never saw him break 94 and even back then he worked at 90-91.   With Skaggs it's always been about the movement and not the velocity -- also his breaking ball.

One thing that seems different about Skaggs, he used to have more of a herky-jerk delivery that I felt added deception to his FB, he's been more fluid to the plate when I've seen him in MLB.  Not sure if that's something the D-Backs had him change or if he was just rushing to the plate.

Anyway, I've never seen him with as 96 MPH FB.

With Skaggs it's always been about the movement and not the velocity -- also his breaking ball.

One thing that seems different about Skaggs, he used to have more of a herky-jerk delivery that I felt added deception to his FB, he's been more fluid to the plate when I've seen him in MLB. Not sure if that's something the D-Backs had him change or if he was just rushing to the plate.

Anyway, I've never seen him with as 96 MPH FB.

Would you pull the Trumbo for Skaggs deal then or try to get more from a more desperate team?? I like Skaggs, but so what you're saying is his FB is based on deception... sort of like Weaver and his delivery mechanics.

Would you pull the Trumbo for Skaggs deal then or try to get more from a more desperate team?? I like Skaggs, but so what you're saying is his FB is based on deception... sort of like Weaver and his delivery mechanics.

The deception is different than Weaver -- he didn't so much hide the ball as much as he had a motion that was hard to get a timing for.  And no, he's not reliant on deception to do well, he used to have really good "buzzy" movement.   

As much as I have questioned the Angels decision making this offseason, I'd defer to them on whether or not Skaggs is enough.  I didn't see a single Skagg's start last year.... as much as I turn to stats for clarity, I like to look at the tools first and I try not to comment unless I have.  Statistically, his HR rate in AZ was 4 times higher than it was in AAA..   Again, not having seen him I can't really comment on whether it was a case of his stuff not carrying over to MLB or he was just having a bad day.  The ball does tend to jump out of AZ but he's had the same problem both times he's been called up -- his walk rate has been bad too.

His numbers in AAA do make it seem like he was either extremely unlucky or was pitching in front of a horrible defense while in AAA.

He responded the same way to my Diamondbacks deal as well. Trumbo for Skaggs and either Miley/Cahill.

If he could pull off Skaggs plus a major league, that would be most excellent.  If there is one GM I'd bet on to make a move like that it might just be Kevin Towers.  Trumbo is a huge character guy which we have seen they put a lot of value on.  And he should be able to out-defend some of the guys Towers had signed for the OF in the past..  like Kubel

Edited by Inside Pitch

Dipoto is going to most likely have to make a trade to get another starter so this scenario is very possible.

If the Angels want to stay under the cap and find 2 mid rotation starters, they're going to have to sign one and trade for one.

I absolutely love the idea of getting Skaggs+ a mid tier prospect from AZ. Possibly Aaron Blair would work.

Dipoto is going to most likely have to make a trade to get another starter so this scenario is very possible.

If the Angels want to stay under the cap and find 2 mid rotation starters, they're going to have to sign one and trade for one.

I absolutely love the idea of getting Skaggs+ a mid tier prospect from AZ. Possibly Aaron Blair would work.

Matt Stites :wub: