• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about this: Mark Trumbo for Jake Odorizzi

Chuck

Rays need a 1B, Angels need some young starting pitching. If the Rays deal Price to the Mariners they're most likely going to get a couple arms back, with Taijuan Walker as the centerpiece. Walker replaces Jake Odorizzi who is currently #6 on their depth chart, but would replace Price in the rotation.

Jake Odorizzi would be a solid piece at number #3 or #4, then you can sign Corey Hart to be our DH and get a Bartolo Colon, Johan Santana or Scott Baker on a one-year deal to fill out the rotation. This way you're pretty much under or barely over the luxury tax threshold.

Thoughts?

Great proposal, Chuck and something I would absolutely do.  Probably leans in our favor, but definitely conceivable.

Yeah, Loney is looking to get paid good money somewhere else, the Rays would get Trumbo for two years and get some pop from the 1B spot, a position they haven't gotten any production from for a while. The Rays definitely have some arms to spare, whether they deal Price or not.

I don't mind the trade idea, but please no on Scott Baker and no on a guy who isn't even pitching from a mound yet.

We can't afford to gamble.

We would have to do a Colon or another trade with Howie at that point.

MT, Scott Baker already recovered from TJ surgery and finished the season with the Cubs in their rotation in September. He's ready to go and just 32..

MT, Scott Baker already recovered from TJ surgery and finished the season with the Cubs in their rotation in September. He's ready to go and just 32..

I said just no to Baker.  I was referring to Santana as the guy who isn't throwing off of a mound yet.  Baker has been bad for a while, even before the TJ surgery.

I said just no to Baker.  I was referring to Santana as the guy who isn't throwing off of a mound yet.  Baker has been bad for a while, even before the TJ surgery.

I'll be honest MT, in my latest talk with an Angels FO person, Arte doesn't want to go over the luxury cap. If that's the case, you gotta be creative. One has to think Colon is going to get 10-12 million a year. I hope we can get him as I think he'd be a wonderful addition for one year with perhaps an option for year two. I think the Trumbo for Jake Odorizzi trade makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Why doesn't he want to go over the tax threshold, given that the new tv deal takes effect?  

He figures to pretty much break even with a payroll around the tax threshold; and the luxury tax isn't that much, just on anything over it.  

It doesn't mean signing Cano.   But they shouldn't turn down decent/solid pitching just because of it. 

I love the Trumbo for Odorizzi idea.   Odorizzi did get about 30 MLB innings under his belt in September. 

He can probably get up to about 190 innings in 2014, having pitched 154 innings betweem MILB and MLB in 2013.  

See though if the Halos can also get a reliever in that deal.  If not, it's not a deal breaker.

Sign Corey Hart to DH.

Then they just need a decent at best FA starter (no draft pick lost) for the #5 spot (too bad not keeping Williams). 

Only down side is not having a true #3 starter.   We would have a 1/2, 2/3, 4, 4, and 5.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'd try a three way deal where Kendrick and Logan Morrison go to the Rays, Odorrozi & Montgomery go to the Angels, and Matt Joyce, Sean Rodriguez, and Joe Blanton go to the Marlins along with $6M cash from the Angels. 

The Marlins have zero multi-year deals on the books besides Mathis and Saltalamacchia. Morrison can play 1st base for the Rays, Kendrick can play 2nd and Zobrist can slot into the OF/DH rotation.

Sean Rodriguez can play 2b/SS/3B for the Marlins, Matt Joyce becomes an OF and Joe Blanton actually fills a spot in their rotation.

I'd try a three way deal where Kendrick and Logan Morrison go to the Rays, Odorrozi & Montgomery go to the Angels, and Matt Joyce, Sean Rodriguez, and Joe Blanton go to the Marlins along with $6M cash from the Angels.

The Marlins have zero multi-year deals on the books besides Mathis and Saltalamacchia. Morrison can play 1st base for the Rays, Kendrick can play 2nd and Zobrist can slot into the OF/DH rotation.

Sean Rodriguez can play 2b/SS/3B for the Marlins, Matt Joyce becomes an OF and Joe Blanton actually fills a spot in their rotation.

Three-ways are fun, but complicated.

I'll be honest MT, in my latest talk with an Angels FO person, Arte doesn't want to go over the luxury cap.

If that is the case, Arte better get used to 3rd and 4th place and attendance numbers that keep falling.  Oh, and being a 2nd rate team to the Dodgers.

Edited by Jim B

"Doesn't want to" =/="Won't". It was a fair assumption to make that he doesn't want to go over the tax. But he may have to if he wants his team to remain competitive.

It could be he doesn't want to for this coming season knowing that Trout will get a big raise next year and better pitchers will be available. He then can go over in 2015 and 2016 with lots of money coming off the books in 17. I could be wrong, but it also could be he thinks none of the FA this year are worth going over.

Edited by HBMike

I just remember a couple seasons ago everyone was clamoring for that "One Big Bat" in the lineup. Trumbo has become that run producer hitting over 30 bombs and driving in over 100.  If he is traded for a mediocre arm, everyone here will be pissed when his replacement hit 9 hr's and drives in 48. We will also miss his versatility of playing first, lf,rf,dh. Yes, his OBP isn't that good. But how many guys out there with an acceptable OBP can you find available to put up his power numbers, with his salary?  Pujols and Hamilton probably will never put up those numbers again. If anything goes up for them, it will be the number of GIDP's and K's.  The player they should be trading for a pitcher should be Kendrick. His spot will be easier to fill @ 2nd. Plus his run production should also be easier to replace.

That said, Dipoto will probably still trade Trumbo. And everyone will be saying he screwed the pooch again, only,this time the pooch is pressing charges.

I'll be honest MT, in my latest talk with an Angels FO person, Arte doesn't want to go over the luxury cap. If that's the case, you gotta be creative. One has to think Colon is going to get 10-12 million a year. I hope we can get him as I think he'd be a wonderful addition for one year with perhaps an option for year two. I think the Trumbo for Jake Odorizzi trade makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Hmmm so either Howie, Aybar or Trumbo will be traded to get a pitcher and to clear up room to sign a FA starter or they try to buy low on guys.

I hope they an at least pony up to get someone like Arroyo or Colon.