• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Robinson Cano offered 10-year $230-240 million by Mariners?

Chuck

No matter how much money the Yanks spend if they want the player they will pay for them. How many times to they have to prove that? 

That hasn't been true since George Steinbrenner died. The Yankees haven't spent big in the offseason since 2009. If they don't re-sign Cano, it definitely won't because they don't want him. It will because they have bigger needs (most likely pitching). 

So the Yanks feel that Cano is worth only $25mil more than Ellsbury???

Well Ellsbury does offer far superior speed and defense,

Cano had a 6.0 WAR last year compared to Ellsbury's 5.8.

Plus Ellsbury compiled that WAR in only 134 games. He easily would've surpassed cano if he played as much as him.

Edited by Poozy

Plus Ellsbury compiled that WAR in only 134 games. He easily would've surpassed cano if he played as much as him.

Ellsbury is an injury risk and he also doesn't play a more valuable position like Cano does. 6 years in the majors with 2 good seasons doesn't really scream 7 year 153 mill. Cano on the other hand, 5 straight 4+ WAR seasons and has played 160 games in all of those seasons (7 straight total with exception to 159 games twice) 

So you value a player by only what they have done the previous year? What Cano has done in his career is much greater than what Jacoby has done thus far. Plus the WAR "stat" is flawed when trying to compare different position players.

Edited by mancini79

So you value a player by only what they have done the previous year? What Cano has done in his career is much greater than what Jacoby has done thus far. Plus the WAR "stat" is flawed when trying to compare different position players.

I think Ellsbury's injuries were more on the fluky side. 

Cano has been more consistent, but signing players who have consistent track records to big time contracts in their 30s means jack shit. Just look at Hamilton and Pujols.

I agree with the fangraphs article on Ellsbury. He's overpaid by a lot, but still not that far off from Cano imo.

Edited by Poozy

i was excited when we signed pujols. i couldn't believe it. having said that, it is the worst contract in baseball history. most people, including myself expected it to be bad on the back end, but all gravy in the beginning. it hasn't been that, it's been awful. if he doesn't get exponentially better this year, this contract will be mind-bottling.

like your mind is trapped in a bottle, at sea, and no one can here it scream.

Ellsbury's injuries have definitely been on the flukier side. I'd like to see how he does for the next year or 2 before calling him an injury prone player. 

Some players definitely have a knack for getting weird injuries and Ellsbury could very well be one of those guys. His injures thus far don't scream "injury prone" to me though. The deal is still a decent overpay regardless.