• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why I believe the Los Angeles Angels will win 90+ Games in 2014

So....  

The crux is of we carry over the offense, maybe even improve slightly we just need two league average-ish pitchers.  This is essentially the same thought process as the year before only those two pitchers flopped.  Taking nothing away from what Doc wrote authored, the problem is we still haven't found those two pitchers.

I think everyone understands what the problem is.  We're still waiting for the solution.

Absolutely. There has yet to be a solution to the problem.

Basically Richards will be asked to best one of Hanson or Blanton. That should not be a problem.

Now we need one of the two FA or via trade acquisitions to fill the loss of Jason Vargas. I hope we sign a Colon, Garza, Burnett or Jimenez type to fill Vargas spot, but even an arm such as those isn't totally required as Vargas missed some significant time and after his blood clot he wasn't nearly the same.

If you look at this list, there's quite a bit of guys who can fill our #3 and #4 spots provide some solid innings for the Angels. Make a bid for Tanaka at $20 million, but don't count on him. Sign one of these guys below now.

Bronson Arroyo SP 36 FA Reds --   45 --

Scott Baker SP 32 FA Cubs --   NR --

Erik Bedard SP 34 FA Astros --   NR --

A.J. Burnett SP 36 FA Pirates --   10 --

Chris Capuano SP 35 FA Dodgers --   NR --

Bartolo Colon SP 40 FA Athletics --   15 --

Scott Feldman SP 30 FA Orioles --   18 --

Gavin Floyd SP 30 FA White Sox --   NR --

Jeff Francis SP 32 FA Rockies --   NR --

Freddy Garcia SP 37 FA Braves --   NR -- 

Matt Garza SP 30 FA Rangers --   11 --

Roy Halladay SP 36 FA Phillies --   NR --

Jason Hammel SP 31 FA Orioles --   43 --

Aaron Harang SP 35 FA Mets --   NR --

Roberto Hernandez SP 33 FA Rays --   NR --

Ubaldo Jimenez SP 29 FA Indians --   4 --

Jeff Karstens SP 31 FA Pirates --   NR --

Hiroki Kuroda SP 38 FA Yankees --   19 --

John Lannan SP 29 FA Phillies --   NR --

Colby Lewis SP 34 FA Rangers --   NR --

Ted Lilly SP 37 Retired Dodgers --   NR --

Paul Maholm SP 31 FA Braves --   32 --

Jason Marquis SP 35 FA Padres --   NR --

Daisuke Matsuzaka SP 33 FA Mets --   NR --

Luis Mendoza SP 30 FA Royals --   NR --

Jeff Niemann SP 30 FA Rays --   NR --

Ramon Ortiz SP 40 FA Blue Jays --   NR --

Roy Oswalt SP 36 FA Rockies --   NR --

Mike Pelfrey SP 29 FA Twins --   50 --

Andy Pettitte SP 41 Retired Yankees --   NR --

Greg Reynolds SP 28 FA Reds --   NR --

Clayton Richard SP 30 FA Padres --   NR --

Ervin Santana SP 30 FA Royals --   6 --

Johan Santana SP 34 FA Mets --   

Joe Saunders SP 32 FA Mariners --   NR --

Ryan Vogelsong SP 36 Agreed Giants Giants 1 NR --

Edinson Volquez SP 30 FA Dodgers --   NR --

Tsuyoshi Wada SP 32 FA Orioles --   NR --

Barry Zito SP 35 FA Giants --   NR --

How many teams use a 5 man rotation in a 5 man series with breaks after every other game?

that wasn't the point smartass. the point is the team needs something better than a couple of 3-4 starters if they want to do some damage in the post season. i still don't even think the angels can get there mind you.

They use a 3 man rotation and most of the time a 4 man. Boston had Lackey an Peavy as their 3-4 last year and Detroit had Sanchez and Fister.

That was my point mostly -- a weaker 4-5 isn't as big of an issue in a shorter series, particularly one with lots of breaks.   I'd be happy with just having a team that could legitimately contend.

That was my point mostly -- a weaker 4-5 isn't as big of an issue in a shorter series, particularly one with lots of breaks.   I'd be happy with just having a team that could legitimately contend.

Yea but my point is that they need a strong 3-4, none of which in my opinion are on the team right now

that wasn't the point smartass. the point is the team needs something better than a couple of 3-4 starters if they want to do some damage in the post season. i still don't even think the angels can get there mind you.

So -- it doesn't matter that teams typically don't use a 5 man rotation in the playoffs -- they still need to get better than 3-4 starters to fill out the rotation to actually DO DAMAGE in the playoffs.  What are they going to do -- make mean faces while sitting in the bullpen?

BTW -- this time I am just being a smart-ass.   We both agree they don't have the pitching to even get there.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Absolutely. There has yet to be a solution to the problem.

Basically Richards will be asked to best one of Hanson or Blanton. That should not be a problem.

Now we need one of the two FA or via trade acquisitions to fill the loss of Jason Vargas. I hope we sign a Colon, Garza, Burnett or Jimenez type to fill Vargas spot, but even an arm such as those isn't totally required as Vargas missed some significant time and after his blood clot he wasn't nearly the same.

If you look at this list, there's quite a bit of guys who can fill our #3 and #4 spots provide some solid innings for the Angels. Make a bid for Tanaka at $20 million, but don't count on him. Sign one of these guys below now.

Bronson Arroyo SP 36 FA Reds -- 45 --

Scott Baker SP 32 FA Cubs -- NR --

Erik Bedard SP 34 FA Astros -- NR --

A.J. Burnett SP 36 FA Pirates -- 10 --

Chris Capuano SP 35 FA Dodgers -- NR --

Bartolo Colon SP 40 FA Athletics -- 15 --

Scott Feldman SP 30 FA Orioles -- 18 --

Gavin Floyd SP 30 FA White Sox -- NR --

Jeff Francis SP 32 FA Rockies -- NR --

Freddy Garcia SP 37 FA Braves -- NR --

Matt Garza SP 30 FA Rangers -- 11 --

Roy Halladay SP 36 FA Phillies -- NR --

Jason Hammel SP 31 FA Orioles -- 43 --

Aaron Harang SP 35 FA Mets -- NR --

Roberto Hernandez SP 33 FA Rays -- NR --

Ubaldo Jimenez SP 29 FA Indians -- 4 --

Jeff Karstens SP 31 FA Pirates -- NR --

Hiroki Kuroda SP 38 FA Yankees -- 19 --

John Lannan SP 29 FA Phillies -- NR --

Colby Lewis SP 34 FA Rangers -- NR --

Ted Lilly SP 37 Retired Dodgers -- NR --

Paul Maholm SP 31 FA Braves -- 32 --

Jason Marquis SP 35 FA Padres -- NR --

Daisuke Matsuzaka SP 33 FA Mets -- NR --

Luis Mendoza SP 30 FA Royals -- NR --

Jeff Niemann SP 30 FA Rays -- NR --

Ramon Ortiz SP 40 FA Blue Jays -- NR --

Roy Oswalt SP 36 FA Rockies -- NR --

Mike Pelfrey SP 29 FA Twins -- 50 --

Andy Pettitte SP 41 Retired Yankees -- NR --

Greg Reynolds SP 28 FA Reds -- NR --

Clayton Richard SP 30 FA Padres -- NR --

Ervin Santana SP 30 FA Royals -- 6 --

Johan Santana SP 34 FA Mets --

Joe Saunders SP 32 FA Mariners -- NR --

Ryan Vogelsong SP 36 Agreed Giants Giants 1 NR --

Edinson Volquez SP 30 FA Dodgers -- NR --

Tsuyoshi Wada SP 32 FA Orioles -- NR --

Barry Zito SP 35 FA Giants -- NR --

Hasn't Feldman been solid the last couple years? Why not sign him to be our 4th or 5th and sign Garza? We don't loose a draft pick and Feldman won't cost as much as other FA pitchers. I'd also like to sign Neimann or Hudson for depth. Could we still go after Tanaka?

Hasn't Feldman been solid the last couple years? Why not sign him to be our 4th or 5th and sign Garza? We don't loose a draft pick and Feldman won't cost as much as other FA pitchers. I'd also like to sign Neimann or Hudson for depth. Could we still go after Tanaka?

Feldman wants the same years as Hughes and 10 mil per..   

Edited by Inside Pitch

Feldman is 30 and has done at the very least above avg since he left Texas. Signing Feldman doesn't get me excited but he might be a less expensive option on FA market to fill that #4 or #5 spot. It would give the Angels the ability to take fliers on Hudson and Neimann potentially and still trade HK, Aybar or Trumbo for prospects if Lux tax is a concern.

So the defense will just improve magically even now that they downgraded at 3B

no.  there is nothing magic about it.  2012, 2013, and now 2014 will have fairly similary players.  Callaspo and Freese both had off years defensively last year.  Freese was apparently injured.  It's not a stretch to think we could get average defense from him

A massive improvement would be to have an average defense overall yet at SS, CF, RF, 2b we have guys that stand to be well above average with the other positions about average.  That'd be fine. 

I would like to see the halos give Shoemaker a legitimate shot at being the 6th man at least.  I honestly want blanton to just go away.  Getting a high upside guy coming off injury would be fine as long as there are two other legitimate guys in the rotation to start the season.  I would also like to see JD make a couple of lesser moves that could get us a serviceable pen arm or two.  Even if they have to start the year in AAA.  DDLR was a great pickup last year.  We need another one.

The point of the article was to show that our rotation and bullpen weren't very good in 2012 and we ended up with 89 wins.  Even making those two spots and the defense league average puts us in contention.  I would rather do that and see where things stand come July then give up three more minor leaguers and Trumbo or Kendrick for Price. 

Again, the wildcard is Tanaka but with the new posting system, I think we are hosed. 

kind of the same as last year and what was disgruntling about last year.

we need Pujols to bounce back, again, and Hamilton to have a good year. the main thing is what happened last year with Hanson and Blanton. I didn't mind the moves because if we simply got average production from them we would have been fine. so back to the drawing board simply trying to get two pitchers to pitch at league average towards the back of the rotation.

I think they end up signing Arroyo and some lower tier guy. It's not the way I want them to go but I think they'll be happy to get a guy who can just stay healthy and give average production. They may not have enough money to sign someone like Colon or Feldman after they sign Arroyo. 

I actually love the idea of having Shoemaker as the 6th guy. I was impressed with his start last year. 

I'd like them to go get Arroyo and then plan on Shoemaker being the guy for the #5 spot in a "competition" with the minor league free agent guys, Joe Blanton, and basically any one else we trade for or sign.

If you think about it, the last three years they've done this. In 2011, the rotation was supposed to be Weaver, Haren, Santana, Pinero and Kazmir. Chatwood ended up being that guy in limbo for the fifth spot, as they didn't know exactly what they had, and hoped Kazmir could be solid. 

In 2012, the rotation was going to be Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana, and then the fifth spot was basically a competition between Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams. Then they ended up getting Greinke midseason.

In 2013, the rotation was going to be Weaver, Wilson, Blanton, Hanson, and Williams and Richards again competing for the fifth spot, until they signed Hamilton, traded for Vargas and again pushed Williams and Richards out of the rotation. 

In 2014, the rotation right now is going to be Weaver, Wilson, Richards, X, and X. I'd say right now by signing a guy like Arroyo, they'd be in a better position to say, we're going to have an open competition for that fifth spot between Blanton, Shoemaker, Minor League FA guys, and then, if they acquire a starter via trade or if they can sign Tanaka, that pushed all those guys out. It's not a bad way to approach it. The Key though is to have four starters. 

The difference in the pitching between 2011-2012 and 2013 was that they were counting on Blanton to be a number 3. Which was a mistake.