• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox sign RP Edward Mujica

Blarg pretty much nailed it.

I don't get why anyone is upset or calling for heads to roll because some team signed a relief arm that we already addressed.

I'll never understand the "player x signs with team y, so the Angels aren't doing their job" crowd. Yes, it would be sweet if the Angels signed every free agent or consulted with the Angels first.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2m

Source: #Angels were very close to adding Mujica right around when they signed Joe Smith. Fell through, Mujica goes to #RedSox

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 40s

#Angels expressed willingness to go three years on Mujica, just like they did for Smith. Chose one of the two although both were possible

That's why I posted this. Halos had interest, obviously went with Smith. Perhaps they do add another reliever, however. Howell may be the guy as they were linked to him as well

Edited by bloodbrother

Our bullpen is a disaster waiting to happen. Just like it was the last two seasons. I don't see how anyone can be content with it. The Rangers have three pitchers better than our best. The A's have five out of seven better. Of the two that aren't better one was the long reliever and the other had a 1.38 ERA. And to be honest the long reliever was pretty good. Their entire bullpen could honestly be better than our best pitcher.

I don't see a good bullpen. I see a mess. I hope I'm wrong.

How dare Edward Mujica not sign with us! Fire Dipoto!

Who could know what actually went on between the Angels and Mujica. Maybe we low balled him or he simply didn't want to be in Anaheim and wanted to explore other options.

There are other options out there via FA or trade. Winter Meetings haven't even started yet. I'm pissed as much as the next guy but ****. Lay off JD until at least January lol.

Our bullpen is a disaster waiting to happen. Just like it was the last two seasons. I don't see how anyone can be content with it. The Rangers have three pitchers better than our best. The A's have five out of seven better. Of the two that aren't better one was the long reliever and the other had a 1.38 ERA. And to be honest the long reliever was pretty good. Their entire bullpen could honestly be better than our best pitcher.

Ya, I'm quite amazed by the sudden confidence people have in a bullpen that is basically the 2012 bullpen

Minus Scott Downs

Plus Joe Smith

Minus JC Gutierrez

Plus Fernando Salas

Minus Jerome Williams

Plus Joe freaking Blanton

Edited by jshep

Maybe Mujica didn't want to play on the West Coast? Perhaps it was his dream to play in Fenway so he took a discount?

Or maybe Dipoto was worried about Mujica's very heavy use of a split-finger fastball (56% last season) which generally leads to higher attrition rates? Also Mujica was experiencing fatigue last season which put him in an injury risk category.

Of course this all begs the question why did he sign Joe Smith who throws a sinking fastball over 60% with a slider he throws over 30%? I think it comes down to a concern about Mujica's fatigue near the end of last season as the main driver. Also, again, Mujica may have just wanted to play on the East Coast!?!

If the Angels gave Mujica three years at the same rate he got we are talking about a 1.5 million difference between he and Smith. I find it hard to believe that 1.5 million dollars is going to be the difference between this team being good or not. 

Edited by James

I would like one more guy but I see a few prospects who may make the team out of ST possibly and/or help as the season progresses. I would like one more signing but considering the rotation issues, spending the amount of resources it would have taken to get Mujica makes little sense when Smith is comparable and a bit more consistent as of late. If Dipoto decides to add significant payroll to the pen at this point I would prefer it be a closer and slot Ernesto back. 

Nope. Again, try just talking baseball instead of complaining about what other people are posting about.

It's funny because your post in the other thread about not liking negativity but also not liking how every person who expresses a negative opinion gets lumped in as a "whiner" was spot on. I swear some people here don't add to the discussion at all they just whine about other people whining.

This isn't directed at Eric or James as both guys are cool in my book but complaining goes both ways. At least the "whiners" are discussing the team and not other people's posts.

I would like one more guy but I see a few prospects who may make the team out of ST possibly and/or help as the season progresses. I would like one more signing but considering the rotation issues, spending the amount of resources it would have taken to get Mujica makes little sense when Smith is comparable and a bit more consistent as of late. If Dipoto decides to add significant payroll to the pen at this point I would prefer it be a closer and slot Ernesto back.

Oh I couldn't care less why we didn't get Mujica. There are plenty of other options out there. I'm not in the camp that is outraged Dipoto let Boston sign Mujica. I'm in the camp that is confused that some people are chill with this shitty bullpen.

And while we are on the subject of how great other teams run their organization, Mujica came from the Cardinals. If he was worth the praise and a two year contract for $9.5 million from Boston, why are the Cardinals not keeping him in house? I guess because they can't justify that money for that guy for that many years but the Angels are somehow ****ups for not beating Boston to the signing.

Cards have too many young arms at MLB minimum, keeping Mujica at the price it would take isn't worth it.

He was very effective as a closer for most of the season but completely fell apart the final 6 weeks.     If not for that final stretch, he'd probably have gotten a better deal.     Rumors were that he was pitching with a back injury.

Quite frankly this board has gone to s**t lately. The negativity, snarks, and even outright verbal attacks are just unnecessary. I understand people are nervous, upset, anxious, etc. but trying to have a conversation in here is nearly impossible without someone taking a perfectly normal opinion or statement and raging on it without provocation.

We probably have all been a bit guilty of it including myself but it would be great if AW.com leadership stepped up and started policing this stuff a little better (and maybe they have already?).

2 year $9.5 million for Mujica

3 year $15.75 million for Smith

Something tells me we have to overpay to get good talent.  Both in FA'cy and Trades.

Meh -- one extra year really.   At least with Smith you know he can pitch in the AL.   The Angels have always seemingly been willing to go one extra year on a RP to get the guy they want.  Sometimes it's worked - sometimes it hasn't.  More importantly, Smith is able to throw a baseball currently.

Edited by Inside Pitch

mt and halo are right. the bullpen isn't any better than last year. from what i've seen SO FAR, which in my opinion is telling, the fans are going to see a replay of the last two years. i think dipoto and scioscia are on the road to getting canned.

Oh I couldn't care less why we didn't get Mujica. There are plenty of other options out there. I'm not in the camp that is outraged Dipoto let Boston sign Mujica. I'm in the camp that is confused that some people are chill with this shitty bullpen.

My guess is that when compared to the rotation -- the pen looks less ugly.

for the record, I'm not outraged specifically about not signing Mujica, and I would agree that in general there is too much whining every time a FA is signed or a trade is made by other teams.

my comment re: Dipoto's evaluation of pitchers was more of a general statement - my bad for posting it in this thread. I was reacting to seeing what I thought was a pretty good deal for a talented RP, which is frustrating given the moves Dipoto has made in the pen, IMO (Salas, overpaying for Smith, whose peripherals are not great, etc). From what I've seen up to this point, I don't trust Dipoto's taste in pitching talent.

I think they are done spending money on the pen for this year.  I can see JD trying to make a lesser deal for a few under the radar guys to bring to ST.  I think we are going to see some actual contributions from our farm system this year in Morin, Alvarez (maybe mid way), Maronde, Roth and maybe Berg