• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox sign RP Edward Mujica

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1m

The #RedSox bolster the bullpen with the signing of reliever Edward Mujica to 2-year, $9.5M deal, per @JeffPassan

One less RP on the market for the Halos...if they are even looking to add another one

The Angels are 7 deep in the bullpen, they do not need another relief pitcher.

Expressing opinions?

Yes, it's what keeps this board going during the off-season.  Or would you rather discuss social media pet peeves all day in the hangout?

My response goes to the fatalists in the thread and Whiny World in particular. Just because another team picks up a relief pitcher doesn't mean Dipoto has made some sort of mistake.

I'm getting pretty fed up with x-player signs and now the Angels are losers mantra going on. It doesn't matter if the Angels sign player-x or he goes somewhere else, the first knee jerk reaction is the Angels are somehow failing. It's bullshit.

But that's just my perspective.

Kohn and Jepsen?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

There is Morin in the minors as well that is going to be put in the bullpen at some point then there is Blanton that probably will be long relief, so no, the Angels have no reason to spin their wheels playing Pokémon with the bullpen and collect a bunch of surplus arms because they are out there,

And while we are on the subject of how great other teams run their organization, Mujica came from the Cardinals. If he was worth the praise and a two year contract for $9.5 million from Boston, why are the Cardinals not keeping him in house? I guess because they can't justify that money for that guy for that many years but the Angels are somehow ****ups for not beating Boston to the signing.

The Angels are 7 deep in the bullpen, they do not need another relief pitcher.

Hence why I said "if they are even looking to add another one"

Mujica was one of the names we heard about as far as the Halos having interest. Him, Smith(who they obviously signed) and Howell.

I don't think that is true at all.  When they signed Smith it seemed to be almost univerally popular. 

However, other options keep dissapearing off the board eric.  It is frustrating.  Of course we wont know until spring training, but right now what we know is that we still need pitching.  Lots of it.

Of course people are going to continue with the "WTH is Dipoto doing" crap, lame. He has pretty much addressed the pen. One more guy would be nice but right now the focus needs to be on the rotation. 

Saying that we have to overpay to get players like we are some bottom rung team is a joke. Mujica is solid but hasnt had the consistency of Smith and the difference isn't really that significant. Yes, I am sure Dipoto offered Smith a bit more to ensure the signing but that is fine to me as long as he doesn't ridiculously overpay which seems like he really did not as we watch the market play out. 

And while we are on the subject of how great other teams run their organization, Mujica came from the Cardinals. If he was worth the praise and a two year contract for $9.5 million from Boston, why are the Cardinals not keeping him in house? I guess because they can't justify that money for that guy for that many years but the Angels are somehow ****ups for not beating Boston to the signing.

Well, they are getting Jason Motte back next year as he rehabs from TJ surgery and should be ready to go by May. The young guys who they called up last year will likely take on bigger roles as well(Carlos Martinez and Siegrist).

I'm guessing that might be because the Cardinals have a stable of cheap, young arms to fill out their bullpen, so spending on a reliever isn't particularly necessary for them.

Meanwhile, the Angels' bullpen is still only marginally better than last year's terrible pen.

Edited by jshep

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  If the Angels got Mujica in addition to Smith, fans would be outraged at using our small available funds for only bullpen.  I think he would have helped, without question, but any further bullpen additions should be lower priority than starting pitching. 

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod