• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels believe they have the pieces to acquire Price

Scott34

I hope they don't do it. If we get Price, that means we are probably going to go over the luxury tax. If we do that, I'd much rather get Garza (or Tanaka) for a few million more a year and save our young players given that we'd have to give up a ton to get him. If they plan on trading salary to the Rays (i.e. Kendrick) so they don't go over the tax, then just trade him to someone for a #4/#5 type pitcher and clear some salary room after you sign someone like Garza.

Well I've been all for Tanaka + a number 4 starter. I think one of Trumbo or Kendrick could bring in fringe 3 or 4 type pitcher.

I know it's easier said than done, though. 

Teams with depth can make big moves for guys like Price.

If the rules stand, Tanaka gets to pick the team he wants to go to so it would be out of the Angels hands.  You can't trade any Angels player remember? A lot here want Kendrick and Trumbo to stay.  Many here expect the impossible out of Dipoto.

Link? 

I find it hilarious that people here seem to know what the Rays are looking for.  Has their GM stated that?  Has Maddon said he only wants young talent?  Have the Rays publicly stated they don't want Trumbo or Kendrick or any of our prospects?  Yeah, I didn't think so.  Let's what for some actual FACTS before we start freaking out that no team wants our players.  NO ONE here has any idea what Tampa Bay is looking for.

I know they're looking for a new stadium.

Premise fail.

If by pieces they mean Mark Trumbo, Howie Kendrick, a truckload of cash to make Kendrick & Trumbo virtually free and then add it Kaleb Cowart on top of all that......

Then sure, we might have enough pieces not to be laughed at and hung up on immediately.  Still wouldn't get us Price but at least we'd save face a little. 

Kaleb Cowart won't get them squat. He has been rather disappointing and overvalued. Throwing him in is no more than a booby prize.

Kaleb Cowart won't get them squat. He has been rather disappointing and overvalued. Throwing him in is no more than a booby prize.

To be fair, he was a top 50 prospect entering last year. Sure, his stock has dropped quite a bit but I'm sure he can end up being a productive or even good player still.

I could see the Halos doing this.  If they are planning on sucking for 2015 and beyond, they are probably thinking they might as well just get as much value from their farm as they can right now.  I just can't imagine Tampa being overly impressed by anything we'd have to offer.  They got better production from Loney last year than we did from Trumbo. 

Don't get me wrong, if we are going to trade prospects, then no way in hell would I do this.  If for some weird reason they would be willing to take some of our current major leaguers then maybe although I wouldn't include Richards or Calhoun. 

Wanted to chime in....

Based on my conversations, I don't believe the Angels believe they have enough pieces for David Price.

However, I do believe that's in the best interest of the Angels and the Rays to portray that. Drives up the price if more teams are believed to be in the bidding.

Wanted to chime in....

Based on my conversations, I don't believe the Angels believe they have enough pieces for David Price.

However, I do believe that's in the best interest of the Angels and the Rays to portray that. Drives up the price if more teams are believed to be in the bidding.

Even if a trade were to happen, where does the conversation start?

Howie and Trumbo? Calhoun? Richards? 

Tampa seems like the type of org that would want stay away from a Trumbo-type player. I can't see them getting giddy over the 30 HR power and completely overlooking the career .299 OBP. This isn't Ruben Amaro Jr.

I've said from the beginning that the Angels have no shot of landing Price, and I will stand with that despite the report in the OP.

Creating a few holes to fill one hole doesn't improve the Angels. Especially when you have no competent replacements ready to fill in. I would much rather see the Angels sign someone like Garza (if the price is right)...and hold on to their pieces (which are not enough for Price to begin with). Creating more holes just to fill one hole is counterproductive and not smart and wouldn't improve this team.

Edited by Angels

Wanted to chime in....

Ah, makes sense, especially if their rivals like the M's or Rangers are trying for him. Thanks for taking the time to post here

Maybe the Rays really are a smart organization. If so, then they will realize that it's silly to think you'll win the AL East with James Loney's bat at your primary power position.

Contrary to popular belief the Angels aren't the only team that sees a small window and feels desperate to win before it slams shut.

Maybe the Rays really are a smart organization. If so, then they will realize that it's silly to think you'll win the AL East with James Loney's bat at your primary power position.

Contrary to popular belief the Angels aren't the only team that sees a small window and feels desperate to win before it slams shut.

If the Rays were thinking short-term window stuff, they would just keep Price for the next 2 years since they already control him. Thinking that somehow the Rays get better by trading Price and acquiring Trumbo doesn't compute.

Edited by 405z06

James Loney actually had a higher WAR last year according to some models. However, I do think Trumbo is the more desirable 1B option for any organization moving forward.

Kudos to Fletcher for posting his thoughts.

Wanting Price is not the same thing as being able to land him. Seems many are confusing the two.

Peter Gammons this morning said GM's hear there is validity to Price to M's for Walker, Franklin, and a 2nd Prospect.

Also goes on to say other GM's believe M's won't deal Walker.

While I think the Angels do have a chance, the chances are slim if M's are willing to include Walker. Although i think it would be dumb for them to offer Walker in a deal for Price.