• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Ellsbury got 7/153, then what is Trout going to cost?

19HALO71

Make him a 17year/$500 million offer right now. You can backload the contract to some extent so it won't kill us up front. We still owe Pujols and Hamilton a ton of money for some years to come. 

Include a $5 million signing bonus, and start his salary at $5 million this year, increasing with each year. Make sure he's earning at least $25 million the year he would have reached free agency. 

I believe it is based on average annual value of the contract, so back loading doesn't help you with the luxury tax threshold.

Yea I get that, but when is it calculated? I doubt it is an ongoing basis, I'm sure it has something to do with opening day or at some point in the middle of the season.

Follow up question: What do the Angels do if they approach Trout's agent to talk extension and are rebuffed with the message that Trout wants to be a free agent when his time up? Do they consider trading him? His value is never going to be any higher than it is right now. 

Edited by Coachbulldog

I'm sure it's whatever they're paying the plate for that season. So if you sign it in May, it would have to start in the 2015 season.

I'm sure Vernon Wells is a huge reason Trout hasn't been extended. They're probably waiting for that money to free up before signing Trout to a mega contract.

Coach, I just can't imagine it would go down that way.  I highly doubt any agent or player would say "thanks, but no thanks."  At a minimum, they would say "give us an offer and let us consider."  If you then offer him too much to turn down, he won't reach free agency. 

Yea I get that, but when is it calculated? I doubt it is an ongoing basis, I'm sure it has something to do with opening day or at some point in the middle of the season.

A)  there is no luxury tax.  It's a competitive balance tax.

B)  it's ongoing.  salary for the year, and it's calculated at the end of the year.  It's also based on the 40 man roster.  So trades at the end of the season for one year expensive rentals will count the % they played on your team.  For instance, if you got Lee with 1/6 of the season left to play and didn't exchange money, the cap hit is $24 million for a full year.  But $4 million for the 1/6 of the season.  

Championships are the key to keeping Trout in an Angels uniform for his entire career.

I can see them signing Trout to an extension after this season, for all three of his arbitration years and then four free agent years. 

If he went one year at a time, he'd likely break all arbitration records, so you're looking like 15, 18, 20 Million in those three years. Something like 7/170 or 12/320 with an option for free agency after year 7.

I still say make him an Angel for life.

17 years/$500 million. Salary starts reasonably and accelerates through the life of the contract. The big payouts start after Hamilton is gone. Also, more than half of that contract will be after Pujols retires. Go ahead and make an historic splash, Arte. You won't regret it.

Oh, and no offseason basketball/snow-skiing/water-skiing/skydiving, etc activities for Mikey. That's a reasonable thing to demand for a half-billion dollar investment.

A) there is no luxury tax. It's a competitive balance tax.

B) it's ongoing. salary for the year, and it's calculated at the end of the year. It's also based on the 40 man roster. So trades at the end of the season for one year expensive rentals will count the % they played on your team. For instance, if you got Lee with 1/6 of the season left to play and didn't exchange money, the cap hit is $24 million for a full year. But $4 million for the 1/6 of the season.

Yes, it's a luxury tax. MLB may call it something different but it's still a luxury tax.

This is something I actually started thinking about back in August (when it was clear his rookie year was not fluke).  In fact, we discussed it a couple of times on the AngelsWin podcast.

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to pay him and pay him now.  Lock him up!  

Sure, we've had to monster contracts that really haven't worked out so well the last 2 years, but hey ... the 3rd times a charm!!!