• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A's acquire Luke Gregerson from Padres for Seth Smith

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 14s

Gregerson-for-Smith trade first reported by @Oak_AllDay. Great job by him and a good follow on all A's-related info.

That's all it cost to get Gregerson? Dude's been very good for years now in San Diego. Nice addition for Oakland to an already deep bullpen.

Johnson, Cook, Doolittle, Gregerson. Very good bullpen

Edited by bloodbrother

um, isn't seth smith a busted prospect, journeyman 3b and a perennial nontender candidate? ...and that's why i don't follow the padres, not that the angels have been doing much better recently.

Smith has been a decent corner outfielder who could get on base a bit. I don't ever recall him being that highly touted or playing 3rd base.

Geeez, that A's bullpen (on paper) is so good. We should just give up now. 

:rolleyes:

No but I think the point is why couldn't the Angels pull a deal like this with the Padres?  I mean we are more in need of relief pitching than the A's are/were.  Can't you see where the frustration is coming from without overstating what others are trying to say?

Geeez, that A's bullpen (on paper) is so good. We should just give up now. 

:rolleyes:

Well, they were already a better team than the Angels -- and they have improved.   Same goes for the Rangers.   Meanwhile we found replacements for two guys the GM traded away last year (Callaspo/Downs),  and are down a SP.

Treading water.

Well, they were already a better team than the Angels -- and they have improved.   Same goes for the Rangers.   Meanwhile we found replacements for two guys the GM traded away last year (Callaspo/Downs),  and are down a SP.

Treading water.

The Angels were a better team by far on paper in 2012, yet the Rangers and A's bested them. I don't think we should engage in offseason paper championships. The results on the field in 2014 will determine who is better. They were also picked by many to win the division last season as well. Who gives a shit.

Put a solid team together and see what happens.

um, isn't seth smith a busted prospect, journeyman 3b and a perennial nontender candidate? ...and that's why i don't follow the padres, not that the angels have been doing much better recently.

He's a lefty OF bat that the Padres were through their own admission looking for in free agency or trade. Strictly against RHP he has a history of good performance. However if I were the Padres I'd be worried about his back issue last season, those types of injuries tend to have a greater impact on a player's everyday health and performance.

The Angels were a better team by far on paper in 2012, yet the Rangers and A's bested them. I don't think we should engage in offseason paper championships. The results on the field in 2014 will determine who is better. They were also picked by many to win the division last season as well. Who gives a shit.

But they were a better team on the field last season Chuck, not on paper. 

Regardless, that isn't the point.  The guy the A's got was just the kind of player the Angels needed.  We could have got him if all we needed was  Seth Smith type guy.

But they were a better team on the field last season Chuck, not on paper. 

Yeah -- pretty much.   The two teams that were better than the Angels in the standings last year have improved their rosters.   The Angels are down two SPs and have simply replaced two guys they traded away --  No paper championships, just reality.

Better team on paper if you are going by name recognition.  I don't think you could have made a good statistical argument for the Angels being better than the A's or Rangers that year.

You should save that paper we were a better team on for the next time you go camping.