• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerome Williams non-tendered

Scott34

Except Blanton is an abomination on the mound.  Children wail and women weep when he pitches.  He should not be pitching, swinging or anything else for the Angels.  If he is anything other than last guy on the bench for this staff the off season was a disaster.

I agree. I hated the deal when it happened. Angels can only eat so much money and Vernon Wells is getting a lot this year from us. 

Two days later and I'm still upset about this move. Jerome proved he could give a quality start nearly every time out. How much would he cost in arbitration? 4 or 5 million? How much for a comparable starter? 8 million? Doesn't make sense.

Add to the fact that he was the consummate team player, a true professional, and did whatever was asked without complaint to help the team. He will be missed. You simply can't put a price on good character.

The level of outrage over losing Jerome Williams has reached comedic levels. Dipoto has made many questionable decisions, but this is not one of them. You don't pay a long reliever/spot starter $4-5 million. Especially a team that is cash-strapped. You just don't.

I understand that the Angels need depth...but finding a Jerome Williams for league minimum (or close to it) shouldn't be hard to do. Just how difficult could it be to find a pitcher who is slightly above replacement level (if given enough innings)? If you are forced to rely on Jerome Williams to make 25+ starts (as he did last season), then you are screwed either way.

It's nice to have a Jerome Williams, but not for $4-5 million. For a million tops, sure. And any competent minor league farm system should have a few of Jerome Williams' at the AAA level.

The level of outrage over losing Jerome Williams has reached comedic levels. Dipoto has made many questionable decisions, but this is not one of them. You don't pay a long reliever/spot starter $4-5 million. Especially a team that is cash-strapped. You just don't.

I understand that the Angels need depth...but finding a Jerome Williams for league minimum (or close to it) shouldn't be hard to do. Just how difficult could it be to find a pitcher who is slightly above replacement level (if given enough innings)? If you are forced to rely on Jerome Williams to make 25+ starts (as he did last season), then you are screwed either way.

It's nice to have a Jerome Williams, but not for $4-5 million. For a million tops, sure. And any competent minor league farm system should have a few of Jerome Williams' at the AAA level.

The amount of this money they have wasted on guys like Wells, Blanton and most recently Jepsen, I don't really care if they are cash strapped. If Arte is willing to waste money on stupid trades/signings and give ridiculous contracts to Pujols and Hamilton, I expect him to spend money on the pitching that we need and Williams is the kind of pitcher you spend the money. on.

not surprised by this -- but I probably would have tendered Williams, made a decent (but lower) offer..........

and then, there's always the chance that some rotation starved team would pick him up and we'd get a draft pick.

In almost counter-intuitive sense, the Angels did Williams a favor and rewarded his loyalty by non-tendering him -- by doing this, the chances of Williams being picked up as a F/A by another team increase considerably as they won't have to forfeit a draft pick........and some team with rotation (fourth/fifth, even sixth) spot needs will sign Williams now.

Looks like his agent was right

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2m

Source: 4 teams seriously interested in FA RHP Jerome Williams. Both AL and NL. Decision expected by end of Winter Meetings.

Good for Jerome.

The guy throws 91-95 mph, has a good slider, cutter and changeup. He can pitch long or short. Valuable guy.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

not surprised by this -- but I probably would have tendered Williams, made a decent (but lower) offer..........

and then, there's always the chance that some rotation starved team would pick him up and we'd get a draft pick.

In almost counter-intuitive sense, the Angels did Williams a favor and rewarded his loyalty by non-tendering him -- by doing this, the chances of Williams being picked up as a F/A by another team increase considerably as they won't have to forfeit a draft pick........and some team with rotation (fourth/fifth, even sixth) spot needs will sign Williams now.

Williams was arbitration 3.  He wasn't a free agent.  So if you tendered him, it would be an arbitration situation.  

There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start

Regarding "cash strapped", how the heck is this team cash strapped when the new $3 billion tv deal is starting?

And, even though half of Williams' starts were quality ones, name any FA pitcher out there who did a lot better and will get only $4 million in 2014?

Williams had virtually become a decent/solid #5 starter.

138.2 innings (as a starter last season)

4.94 FIP

5.06 ERA

There was absolutely nothing solid about Jerome Williams as a starting pitcher last season. You can't expect that kind of production if your goal is to make the postseason. It's just not going to get it done, sorry.