• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerome Williams non-tendered

Scott34

Salas is a long relief guy.

Well, if he is -- he certainly hasn't been used that way.    He's pitched in 160 games the last three years and gone at least 2 innings less than 15 times.   I think he has fewer than 5 games where he's gone more than 2 innings during that span.

Hopefully he CAN be that guy cause Blanton leaves a great deal to be desired.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Isn't worth determined by the market?  Seems petty to downplay him now.

Regardless, he will get paid more that league minimum. 

Not to mention, he has been much, much better than Jepsen.

His numbers were on par with Phi Hughes, yet almost everyone here wanted him and was pissed that Dipoto didn't jump at the opportunity.

I think Jerome will do well in this market. Opinions from fans may very on his upside or worth, but I think he's a valuable guy to have on the team.

Jerome was a good journeyman pitcher. I think they should've tendered him, if they planned on getting in on bidding for Tanaka, as an insurance police. Without him, this means that Blanton is pretty much guaranteed a spot on the team either as the long man, or the fifth starter. 

Hubs, I think the contract that Blanton signed last year basically guaranteed he would have a spot on the team. However, like I said before, I could see him being traded during spring training with the Angels picking up about $5 million of his deal. Remember, Dipoto got someone to take on quite a bit of Vernon Wells deal and also was able to trade Jeff Mathis for a warm human body.

His numbers were on par with Phi Hughes, yet almost everyone here wanted him and was pissed that Dipoto didn't jump at the opportunity.

So you're saying that Jerome Williams is a slightly worse version of Matt Garza?  Because, people with a clue know to look beyond ERA and at the stats that show what the pitcher himself is doing without the aid of his defense and home park.   Based on THAT criteria -- Phil Hughes is Matt Garza light, and JW would be Phil Hughes light -- the K rate is off by a bit.

I wouldn't pay Jerome Williams the upwards of 70-75 million you would be willing to pay Matt Garza -- but it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see a team offer 2 years 8 mil to sign him.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

MT, what he is worth to another team and the Angels are two different things.  No way the Angels can pay an emergency SP/Long Relief RHP with mediocre stuff 4.5 million a year.

JW has value -- I agree there is a bit of a bias against paying bigger money to a long man, but it wouldn't surprise me to see JW get a 2 year deal in the open market

So you're saying that Jerome Williams is a slightly worse version of Matt Garza?  Because, people with a clue know to look beyond ERA and at the stats that show what the pitcher himself is doing without the aid of his defense and home park.   Based on THAT criteria -- Phil Hughes is Matt Garza light, and JW would be Phil Hughes light -- the K rate is off by a bit.

I wouldn't pay Jerome Williams the upwards of 70-75 million you would be willing to pay Matt Garza -- but it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see a team offer 2 years 8 mil to sign him.  

and herein lies the issue with stats, you can compare JW, Hughes and Garza using these new metrics, though Garza has proven he's an example of consistency between the three, providing 7 straight seasons with an ERA under 4 in the American League. That is well above average and deserving of more money and years.

and herein lies the issue with stats, you can compare JW, Hughes and Garza using these new metrics, though Garza has proven he's an example of consistency between the three, providing 7 straight seasons with an ERA under 4 in the American League. That is well above average and deserving of more money and years.

There is nothing new about H/9, HR/9, BB/9 or K/9 -- those have been around forever.

Matt Garza had the luxury of pitching in TB, a noted pitchers park -- in front of good defenses.  In Texas, the H/9 went up, the HR/9 went up, meanwhile his BB/9 and K/9 remained static..   Interesting how that worked out isn't it?

Park effects are real.