• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Update on posting system

SoWhat

Not sure this is great news for the Angels if the worse record is prioritized.

At a 20 million max bid on the posting fee, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple teams that haven't previously been incredibly active jump in, including teams with worse records like the Cubs, Jays, Mariners, Mets.

Hell, with a 20 million bid, I wouldn't be shocked to even see someone like the Astros jump in.

Edited by jshep

Sounds like its not very clear yet as far as multiple teams with the same winning bid.

I've read the worst record scenario and also saw something that the player would be able to chose which team to negotiate with.

Sounds like a longshot for the Angels either way.

Not sure this is great news for the Angels if the worse record is prioritized.

At a 20 million max bid on the posting fee, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple teams that haven't previously been incredibly active jump in, including teams with worse records like the Cubs, Jays, Mariners, Mets.

Hell, with a 20 million bid, I wouldn't be shocked to even see someone like the Astros jump in.

Yep. The Astros do have some money to spend.

I'm not sure what the Japanese teams had to gain from this deal. It seems like they just pissed away a good $40 million on the Tanaka posting alone, not to mention all the others.

Also at just $20 million I wonder if we will always see the elite talent get posted in the future. It might not make financial sense to let some of these players go. For example, there is no way the Angels would let Mike Trout out of his contract for $20 million.

Joel Sherman
MLB offer to NPB was max posting bid $20M, any team willing to pay can negotiate with plyr for prescribed 1-month period. Plyr picks team

Joel Sherman
For example with Tanaka: Any club could negotiate, but knows it will have to pay Golden Eagles $20M on top of pact for RHP

Soooo, he'll be a Yankee or Dodger?

my thought from the beginning has been that the Yankees desperately need pitching this offseason, Tanaka is probably the best pitcher available, and thus it's a pretty safe bet he'll be a Yankee.

This actually hurts teams against the luxury tax if they won't go above.  The Yankees are spending, but they don't want to go above the tax.  This may hurt them actually, now that the player salary may be higher than previously thought. 

If it was widely assumed that it would cost at least $120 million to get Tanaka under the old system (posting and contract), I highly doubt the Angels will be able to be competitive in any type of bidding war with their $15 mil. Of course trading Howie or a willingness to surpass the luxury tax threshold could change that. 

I'm not sure what the Japanese teams had to gain from this deal. It seems like they just pissed away a good $40 million on the Tanaka posting alone, not to mention all the others.

Also at just $20 million I wonder if we will always see the elite talent get posted in the future. It might not make financial sense to let some of these players go. For example, there is no way the Angels would let Mike Trout out of his contract for $20 million.

Better than nothing, which is what they'd get if MLB just waited and let these japanese players reach international free agent status (9 seasons).  That would be only 2 more years for Tanaka and he'd still only be 27 years old when he hits free agency.