• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My new offseason idea

Glen

I really want to see how Conger develops. Catchers tend to improve offensively later on and I think he's capable of turning into a .280/.800 type hitter in his prime which, if he can muster decent defense, makes him a real asset. Even a more modest .270/.750 makes him a 2-3 WAR player, which would make him an above average catcher.

Conger isn't likely to throw out a bunch of guys and he has the occasional lapse on blocking balls in the dirt as well as on plays at the plate, but his receiving skills are quite good and as he gets more time with the staff, his pitch calling will get better as it did when he got regular time at the end of the year.  If Ianetta has value on the trade market, I wouldn't hesitate to move him. 

Conger isn't likely to throw out a bunch of guys and he has the occasional lapse on blocking balls in the dirt as well as on plays at the plate, but his receiving skills are quite good and as he gets more time with the staff, his pitch calling will get better as it did when he got regular time at the end of the year.  If Ianetta has value on the trade market, I wouldn't hesitate to move him. 

Iannetta is replaceable. Young catchers who still haven't reached their prime and have already shown signs of becoming solid players are not easy to find. If we trade Conger, then what?

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I agree, although if the team can reasonably fill their other needs elsewhere, a Iannetta/Conger catching tandem could work quite nicely.

Twins 'Making Progress' On Pierzynski, Targeting Pelfrey

By Aaron Steen [November 30 at 11:19pm CST]

The Twins are "making progress" in their push to reunite with catcher A.J. PierzynskiLaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reports, citing an anonymous source. Neal reported the news in his article on the Twins' three-year, $24MM deal agreement with Phil Hughes.

Pierzynski hit .272/.297/.425 in 2013 with the Rangers, a line that featured his typical solid power but a career-low in OBP. The Twins, however, are said to value the catcher for his winning background and the edge he'd bring to a team that has lost an average of 97 games over the past three seasons. Perzynski's also durable, appearing in at least 128 games every year since 2002.

In the same article, Neal relates that the Twins may also try to re-sign Mike Pelfrey, who struggled to the tune of a 5.19 ERA in 152 2/3 innings in 2013 in his first campaign after Tommy John surgery. The club reportedly offered a two-year deal in the $10MM range to the 29-year-old righty, who's previously indicated interest in re-upping with Minnesota, though Neal says it's not clear if that deal is still on offer.

I'm not trading Conger if I'm the Angels, Iannetta if he receives any interesting offers maybe, but definitely not Conger. I could see Iannetta packaged with Howie or Trumbo because I do not think Iannetta alone fetches anything worth trading him for unless someone overpays for him. If you trade Iannetta with Howie/Trumbo you get about $15 million off the books for Iannetta/Howie or around $10 million with Trumbo/Iannetta, Angels should be able to get at least two promising prospects with a third piece included. Get the prospects and depth options from a trade, clear some payroll space, sign a veteran starter (Arroyo/Colon/Garza/Feldman) for the other rotation spot, and sign a defensive first catcher like Kurt Suzuki. But all in all, I'm okay with a Conger and Iannetta duo at catcher, especially if Conger improves offensively 

I really want to see how Conger develops. Catchers tend to improve offensively later on and I think he's capable of turning into a .280/.800 type hitter in his prime which, if he can muster decent defense, makes him a real asset. Even a more modest .270/.750 makes him a 2-3 WAR player, which would make him an above average catcher.

Agree. If Conger becomes a .800 OPS catcher lets hope the new regime doesn't trade up for an aging, expensive veteran...

I think the due of Iannetta/Conger is perfectly fine. Not necessarily the best defensive duo out there but not the worst either. I think Conger is starting to earn more and more playing time and I definitely see him earning the full time gig sometime next year.

I think it comes more from the idea that Iannetta is one of the few trade chips the team has, albeit not a huge chip.  He would clear a bit of salary if traded, and with Congers improvement behind the plate, Chris' playing time would diminish.

Problem is you're just creating another hole. You're either stuck with a horrible backup option like Hester or you're signing a guy for similar money via FA. 

Completely agree that he is a guy you keep, unless of course you can turn him into an arm you desperately need.

But a catcher who can work solidly with a pitching staff and also hit is far too important though.

Trade Iannetta by all means, and sign a veteran backup who is a good mentor. Conger should start 110 games in 2014. But is he ready for that workload, having not exceeded 80 starts across all levels in maybe 3 years?