• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else not want to trade Howie?

I certainly don't wanna trade Howie, try to keep the lineup as intact as possible. Howie hitting lower in the lineup could be a good thing for him too, a 3-4-5-6-7 of Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo, Freese, and Kendrick has the potential to be straight up deadly. If Howie doesn't get the Halos what they want then it wouldn't make sense to just create that hole in the lineup. I like Lindsey but having Howie at second and Green on the bench gives us organizational depth and options which teams like the Cardinals and Red Sox have to: fill in when someone's hurt, maybe play other positions or lengthen the bench, or gives us trade options. Although the idea of trading Trumbo still sounds painful, I think he has the potentially to net us something a little better than Howie. Sign someone who can replace Trumbo's thump, take a chance on Hart or get a guy that essentially does what Trumbo is doing in Mark Reynolds. I know the Angels don't need another first baseman or shouldn't focus on spending money on another bat but I would be pretty happy if the Angels signed Cory Hart or, surprise here, James Loney to play first with "Question Mark Pujols" and get some time at DH. I would like a Loney signing very much actually in the event that Trumbo is traded

Really just the eye-test/comparing skill sets.  I mean you could look at the defensive metrics and they support this but as I said, I don't trust those anyway.  Offense is more quanitfiable and can be measured.  Defense just seems considerably more qualitative in nature.  Cano, Pedoria and Phillips all have better range than Howie, they all have a better glove than Howie, they all have better footwork than Howie and they all have a stronger arm than Howie. 

I partially agree with this statement.

There are ways to measure defense that may not be openly available to the public at large, as this is a relatively new field of study both at the Major League level and in the sabermetric community. I don't think we should assume that MLB teams haven't invested heaviliy into their own information discovery on this issue and have developed measurable results.

Example: ESPN article on Peter Bourjos' defensive "heat map" from August 2011. The article identified Peter's overall range compared to the average center fielder at that point in time. It would be easy, with some considerable resources of which MLB teams have, to develop data showing Peter's full range, his ability to glove the ball in different zones (from the center out), and then compare that data to other center fielders in the game giving an overall average of MLB CF's as a whole. Extrapolate those numbers over succeeding years of data and you can begin to develop accuracy measurements on that data giving you measurable numbers on Runs Saved for instance. That article was written in 2011 and clearly Peter's range had been identified. I can only imagine the work that has been done in the intervening 2 1/2 years to improve on this information.

Range would be another example of comparable data that is accumulated over time and can help measure defensive value. UZR and other systems attempt to objectively quantify that information and those systems continue to improve. Teams would have to remove outlier data such as defensive shifts to paint a clearer picture on the subject of player range but this is just a tedious time-consuming activity that teams can pay someone to do and probably have.

Defensive attributes such as First Step Time, Maximum Range, Glove Ability, Arm Strength, etc. are not as undeveloped as they might appear to be to the general public. You can rest assured that there are at least a handful of teams out there that know and have real quantifiable results on defensive value. It is just a matter of time before it bleeds into the general public (or is developed independently by members of the general public).

I'm not saying you're completely wrong about the value of defensive metrics I'm just saying that some MLB teams are steps ahead on this subject and I think in the near future you will see more publicly available information confirming this and helping to improve the overall picutre of player defensive value.