• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting quote from Jerome's agent

jshep

to his agent's credit, he didn't specify MAJOR LEAGUE teams.

In all seriousness, I like Jerome.  Would love to keep him.  Interestingly, if you compare his numbers to those of several FAs that are likely to get 5-10mil per fro 2-3 years, they are on par. 

I guess one option could be to tender him and then Trade him as part of a package to get another starter. 

That would likely leave Blanton/Shoemaker as the probable swing candidates. 

The thing about Jerome however, is that he seems to perform better as a long man than a 5th starter. 

even though his cumulative ERA is somewhere in the mid 4's the last couple of years, I would expect an ERA in the high 4's if he were given the job as a starter. 

He can be our #5 if the other four are Sale, Tanaka, Weaver and Wilson.  ;)

Probably about right.

2012 as a starter: 98 IP, 4.83 ERA, 1.369 WHIP

2013 as a starter: 138.2 IP, 5.06 ERA, 1.486 WHIP

Next we will hear Hanson's agent say he hopes the Angels non-tender his client. Just agents doing their jobs. I think Jerome will probably get a minor league contract with a team with a spring training invite but I don't think he will get more then what he would have got with the Angels.

Next we will hear Hanson's agent say he hopes the Angels non-tender his client. Just agents doing their jobs. I think Jerome will probably get a minor league contract with a team with a spring training invite but I don't think he will get more then what he would have got with the Angels.

If you think that then you haven't been following the current FA market for pitching

Jerome is fine at what he is right now. He's not going to succeed as a starter on a long term basis but can spot start and do well enough as a reliever where he has some value.

I'm fine with him on a 1/3 or 2/6 type of deal because these types of players can provide some value. Although I don't mind Hanson doing the same type of thing, especially if he's cheaper, because he could be very good in 1-2 inning stints where he can maximize his good fastball.

Jerome has value no doubt.  I think the halos are capable of paying their swing man 4mil considering they have very little depth otherwise.  He's a serious gamble as a #5 starter, but I personally would rather have him than not.  He also the type of guy that any org should be happy to keep around. 

Worst case scenario seems that he would have value to get a low level prospect at the deadline if things don't go well for the team yet he performs well. 

Most teams have no issues finding these types of guys in their system but I don't think the Angels have that luxury right now. Maybe Shoemaker can eventually find his way into that role in the near future but I trust that Jerome can help in that role and he's not that expensive. It doesn't hurt to have him on this team.

to his agent's credit, he didn't specify MAJOR LEAGUE teams.

In all seriousness, I like Jerome.  Would love to keep him.  Interestingly, if you compare his numbers to those of several FAs that are likely to get 5-10mil per fro 2-3 years, they are on par. 

I guess one option could be to tender him and then Trade him as part of a package to get another starter. 

That would likely leave Blanton/Shoemaker as the probable swing candidates. 

The thing about Jerome however, is that he seems to perform better as a long man than a 5th starter. 

True. He could probably start for Houston, Milwaukee, or the Cubs.

His agent just needs to shut up. 

"“Honestly, if they don’t tender Jerome, it will be a blessing in disguise,” Larry O’Brien, Williams’ agent, said earlier Monday. “I believe there are a number of teams that will give him the ball every fifth day and a chance to make 32 starts. He’s a horse. He can throw 250 innings. I think he’s going to turn some heads.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-decline-to-extend-contract-to-pitcher-jerome-williams-20131202,0,7356767.story#axzz2mNHkGvKN

Williams could certainly be a useful piece for someone under the right circumstances--but there's no reason an agent should be claiming he can throw 250 innings.  It just makes him look dumb.  Williams has never thrown more than 188 innings combined in the majors/minors--and even that level was reached 10 years ago in his rookie season.

In the last 10 years, the only people to pitch 250+ innings have been Verlander, Halladay, and Livan Hernandez.