• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto's strategy

stormngt

At least what I am guessing what it is.

I believe they are going "all in" on Tanaka (think that is his spelling).  I believe Dipoto has tested the market; however, the other teams know we are desperate for pitching so they are trying to low ball on everyone.  It worked for the Bourjos-Grichulk/Freese trade.  However, Bourjos was expendable because of our glut of outfielders.  Right now trading anyone else would weaken the team greatly.  By pursuing Tanaka, the Angels will get a mid to top of the order pitcher who would be young and under club control.  He is more desirable  than current free agent because of his age.  By winning the Tanaka sweepstakes, the Angels would be able to pursue a back end more "bargain basement" pitcher such as Houghs or even stay with Williams as the #5.  They would not need to trade anyone else and the offense which was very good last year is in tact.  

If they do not get Tanaka, they have to trade either Kendrick or Aybar.  Trumbo would not net us a mid rotation+ pitcher.  The Bourjos/Freese trade actually allows us to trade Kendrick or Aybar.  Although I believe Bourjos to be a better player, Freese should greatly improve our offense at 3b.   That improvement offensively at 3b could allow us to trade Aybar and replace Romine.  What we lose offensively with Romine we should be gaining offensively with Freese.  OR we could trade Kendrick and replace him with Green and Lindsay.  Again, what we lose offensively we should be gaining with Freese at 3b.  

My biggest concern is that I maybe wrong.  They sign a back end rotation pitcher like Houghs or a high priced Garza  and they decide to go with Williams as the #5 or give Blanton another shot.

Houghs? Are you referring to Hughes? Trying to predict if you have shot at getting Tanaka is almost impossible. The posting fee is a sealed bid. The Yankees and other big market teams will also bid. How do you determine what to bid to win?

I agree, stay away from Garza, but Hughes would be a low cost option for one spot. There is no rush to make a trade if teams are low- balling. The Angels are still quite a bit behind the A's and Rangers even with Tanaka. DiPoto needs to be patient.

I think this assessment fails to take into account that Tanaka is PART OF the market.  If Dipoto hasn't liked the prices for starting pitching on the market so far, just wait until he sees the winning bid on Tanaka.

Plus, we don't know anything about the new posting system if it does end up happening.  It could be the Top 3 negotiate with the player, in which case the Angels could win the bidding but still lose out on Tanaka because he wanted to be a Yankee.  It could be something completely out of LF that we aren't expecting. 

I think Dipoto's more set on creating options for himself.  Landing Tanaka may be one option.  Trading Trumbo could be another, trading Kendrick could be another, going after Garza might be one.  Any combination of factors may work.  He'll just narrow it down as the market progresses. 

I think this assessment fails to take into account that Tanaka is PART OF the market.  If Dipoto hasn't liked the prices for starting pitching on the market so far, just wait until he sees the winning bid on Tanaka.

Plus, we don't know anything about the new posting system if it does end up happening.  It could be the Top 3 negotiate with the player, in which case the Angels could win the bidding but still lose out on Tanaka because he wanted to be a Yankee.  It could be something completely out of LF that we aren't expecting. 

I think Dipoto's more set on creating options for himself.  Landing Tanaka may be one option.  Trading Trumbo could be another, trading Kendrick could be another, going after Garza might be one.  Any combination of factors may work.  He'll just narrow it down as the market progresses. 

As the market thins two things will happen -- FAs will hold out for more knowing they can, and teams will ask for more.  The Nolasco deal probably made a lot of agents very very happy.   The Angels can't put themselves into a situation where they run out of options.  Sign a Hughes, if they see Tanaka as plan A and then the some second tier guy as Plan B then go get plan B signed NOW.   They can always turn around and trade a pitcher away if by some ridiculous turn of events they end up with too much pitching.

A team can't COUNT on trades because they can't force another team to agree.  If the plan is to wait out thew Cano deal and then deal HK to the loser -- that's a terrible plan .

As the market thins two things will happen -- FAs will hold out for more knowing they can, and teams will ask for more.  The Nolasco deal probably made a lot of agents very very happy.   The Angels can't put themselves into a situation where they run out of options.  Sign a Hughes, if they see Tanaka as plan A and then the some second tier guy as Plan B then go get plan B signed NOW.   They can always turn around and trade a pitcher away if by some ridiculous turn of events they end up with too much pitching.

A team can't COUNT on trades because they can't force another team to agree.  If the plan is to wait out thew Cano deal and then deal HK to the loser -- that's a terrible plan .

You're correct when you explain what happens as the market thins.  GM's need to be aggressive, and cannot sit back and let it come to them.  This is where Tony Reagins was so frightfully terrible.  The Angels made it a habit of watching the top free agent talent leave right in front of them.  Dipoto doesn't have this problem.  He's already gone out and fixed 3B and he's doing what he thinks will fix the pen in getting Fernando Salas (whom I think many Angel fans are selling short) and Joe Smith.  He did it all before Thanksgiving.  There are still 2 weeks until the Winter Meetings. 

Dipoto's well aware the Angels need two starting pitchers, one of which needs to be far better than average.  I don't think he's sitting on his hands, I think he's reading the market and reacting, which isn't much better.  Tanaka isn't the only pitcher that solves the front half of the Angels problems.  Garza and Kuroda can as well.  I think we all know Trumbo and Kendrick won't bring in the type of front of the rotation arm they're looking for, but they will bring in the 2nd arm they need, which is back of the rotation. 

And thankfully for Dipoto, his options really aren't limited at all.  Hughes, Arroyo, Colon or any team that'd trade their #4/5 SP for Kendrick or Trumbo (there's gotta be at least half dozen).  And waiting to trade Kendrick isn't a terrible idea.  We need to wait for the Cano fallout first, unless he keeps his word and goes into January in which case you need to act as soon as other teams realize he wants to play the waiting game. 

Strategy can be dependent on circumstance.   If the Angels truly are limited to the CBT, then he doesn't have much money to work with, and you could see many short cheap deals.  I think even Tanaka will have it's limits, and people are getting their expectations up too high.  

Posted this in another thread but Angels insider via twitter linked talked about trading for Sale and having a package around HK and Trumbo to get him. He is a very good #2 if not a number #1. I think he said he is under contract until 2019 and he is young. What do you guys think?

Dipotos strategy is the same as last year. Find 2 pitchers that sucked last year and hope they can be good this year

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was Dipoto's strategy.

He gambled they both would give us solid innings and an ERA around 4-4.50.

Posted this in another thread but Angels insider via twitter linked talked about trading for Sale and having a package around HK and Trumbo to get him. He is a very good #2 if not a number #1. I think he said he is under contract until 2019 and he is young. What do you guys think?

Would be incredible, but Chicago would be idiotic to trade Sale or Quintana at this point and if they did they would get an epic haul that I don't think the Angels could come close to matching.

Tdawg has a better chance at winning the lottery and marrying Trout.  

Let me ask you this.  What would it take for another team to trade for Trout? Pittsburgh will offer Alvarez and Walker.  With the Sale logic, the Angels should jump on it.

You're correct when you explain what happens as the market thins.  GM's need to be aggressive, and cannot sit back and let it come to them.  This is where Tony Reagins was so frightfully terrible.  The Angels made it a habit of watching the top free agent talent leave right in front of them.  Dipoto doesn't have this problem.  He's already gone out and fixed 3B and he's doing what he thinks will fix the pen in getting Fernando Salas (whom I think many Angel fans are selling short) and Joe Smith.  He did it all before Thanksgiving.  There are still 2 weeks until the Winter Meetings. 

Dipoto's well aware the Angels need two starting pitchers, one of which needs to be far better than average.  I don't think he's sitting on his hands, I think he's reading the market and reacting, which isn't much better.  Tanaka isn't the only pitcher that solves the front half of the Angels problems.  Garza and Kuroda can as well.  I think we all know Trumbo and Kendrick won't bring in the type of front of the rotation arm they're looking for, but they will bring in the 2nd arm they need, which is back of the rotation. 

And thankfully for Dipoto, his options really aren't limited at all.  Hughes, Arroyo, Colon or any team that'd trade their #4/5 SP for Kendrick or Trumbo (there's gotta be at least half dozen).  And waiting to trade Kendrick isn't a terrible idea.  We need to wait for the Cano fallout first, unless he keeps his word and goes into January in which case you need to act as soon as other teams realize he wants to play the waiting game. 

I hear what you are saying, but I tend to disagree with how aggressive he's been the last couple of years on some of the lesser players he's moved on. 

Going hard and fast for your 1st or 2nd option is fine, but sometimes you need to let the market develop. 

If you want an Albert Pujols, then make your move. 

If you are trading Bourjos and the market isn't what you anticipated, is it a big deal to wait a bit?

If you are looking for a 5th starter, is it necessary to move fast on Joe Blanton? 

Some of his moves seem like they'd be performed when you have fewer choices or if it's late in the game.

Houghs? Are you referring to Hughes? Trying to predict if you have shot at getting Tanaka is almost impossible. The posting fee is a sealed bid. The Yankees and other big market teams will also bid. How do you determine what to bid to win?

I agree, stay away from Garza, but Hughes would be a low cost option for one spot. There is no rush to make a trade if teams are low- balling. The Angels are still quite a bit behind the A's and Rangers even with Tanaka. DiPoto needs to be patient.

Grossly over bid. However that isnt a guarantee.