• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Doctor is in?

Mr_Downing_5

Why not take a flyer on Roy Halladay with a one year contract at the minimum salary with several incentives (starts, wins, innings, etc.) and a club option for a second year? I have heard zero rumors about any interest in him at all. If he can be 75% of the pitcher he was just 3 years ago we would have a darn good #3 starter. If he stinks like last year its $2 mil down the drain. I'd say thats a good risk reward gamble...

Guarantee Roy Halladay will ge a one year 5 million dollar deal from some non-contender or the Phillies.  The fact is he couldn't touch 90 mph and just look sloppy when he came back.  More than likely he's done but some team is going to throw a few million at him just because he's Doc Halladay.

Sort of like what we did with Ryan Madson. 

until Doc can prove he's healthy, its not worth the risk.  He may never be ok again.  plus, even if he does pitch again, he's not going to log very many innings.  seems like a reasonable idea if the rest of the staff is set and he's looking to take a chance at getting back to form without a legit job.  Which I doubt. 

"Sort of like what we did with Ryan Madson."   Actually it isn't at all like Madson, because he was coming from TJ surgery, whereas Halladay had bone spurs in his shoulder. These two issues are extremely different and the risk from dealing with bone spurs is almost nil, compared to dealing with TJ recovery which could take 2+ years to become effective. I still think Doc would be a great risk to take, considering the alternative of Hanson, Blanton and/or Williams. We all know the Angels aren't signing a FA pitcher for anything more that 8 mil a year, so tell me who exactly can they get for that, who will have more potential upside then Halladay?

"Sort of like what we did with Ryan Madson."   Actually it isn't at all like Madson, because he was coming from TJ surgery, whereas Halladay had bone spurs in his shoulder. These two issues are extremely different and the risk from dealing with bone spurs is almost nil, compared to dealing with TJ recovery which could take 2+ years to become effective. I still think Doc would be a great risk to take, considering the alternative of Hanson, Blanton and/or Williams. We all know the Angels aren't signing a FA pitcher for anything more that 8 mil a year, so tell me who exactly can they get for that, who will have more potential upside then Halladay?

Actually -- a shoulder injury, almost ANY shoulder injury is a bigger concern than TJ surgery.   Medicine has yet make the same advances with shoulders as it has with elbows.   Bone spurs in the shoulder have a nasty habit of doing two things -- damaging the rotator cuff and fraying the labrum -- both of which are still noted for ending careers.

I'm all for throwing 1-2 mil and offering incentive deals to guys like Halladay, but anything beyond that is money wasted.

It's worth monitoring his physical condition.  As GotBeer alluded, Halladay would be an interesting investment to bring in on a 1 year, couple of million deal to get himself in shape and regain some value.  Best case he is a valuable part of our rotation OR he can be traded to a contender at the deadline for prospects.  Worst case he ends up on the DL and retires.  However, if he can give us a work out and display that he is healthy it would worth a low-risk offer.

I'm guessing a non-contending team throws him an incentive laden deal with a few million base salary with the hopes that he's at least able to throw some innings and serve as a good role model for some younger starters, with the bonus that he's a possible trade chip at the deadline if he bounces back.

Don't know that his market will sink to the level that you can just throw an ST invite at him and take a look though, and I'm not sure the Angels have the depth you would want if you're going to count on him as anything more than that.

I'm guessing a non-contending team throws him an incentive laden deal with a few million base salary with the hopes that he's at least able to throw some innings and serve as a good role model for some younger starters, with the bonus that he's a possible trade chip at the deadline if he bounces back.

Don't know that his market will sink to the level that you can just throw an ST invite at him and take a look though, and I'm not sure the Angels have the depth you would want if you're going to count on him as anything more than that.

Hey if we would have traded Brandon Wood for Halladay he would probably still be under contract with the Angels after a lengthy extension, thus having all the failos shitting on the Angels front office for such a ridiculous contract even though in two of those years he was the best pitcher in the game.