• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phil Hughes In Line For Two-Year Deal

gotbeer

I do believe this is the first time I've seen an AW board come together in agreement over an unknown quantity.  Everyone likes Phil Hughes.  Even more surprising to see him have this sort of support coming from pin stripes.  

It's sort of crazy when the majority of a fan base evaluates a player before they even put on the uniform.  When GMJ was signed, most thought it was a terrible idea and while he gave the Angels one solid year it seemed to work out how the fans pictured.  The same thing happened when Wells was traded for.  There were pockets here and there that thought this was a good idea (I laugh at those people now) but for the most part the fan base knew he wasn't going to do anything here.  Enter Joe Blanton, I think the entire fan base with the exception of Chuck saw that one as a horrible dumpster fire of a move and that's been an accurate assessment so far. 

If figure that if Hughes signs, given the overwhelming fan support there's a really good chance he turn into a solid #3/4 SP here. 

I wouldn't go around admitting that YOT.  I was indifferent on the Josh Hamilton signing, shocked at the sheer risk we took on Albert and just plain irate or maniacally laughing/crying over Blanton and Wells. 

To the best of my knowledge, the big ones I supported were the Callaspo trade, C.J. Wilson's signing and the Hanson-Walden deal.  

I wouldn't go around admitting that YOT. I was indifferent on the Josh Hamilton signing, shocked at the sheer risk we took on Albert and just plain irate or maniacally laughing/crying over Blanton and Wells.

To the best of my knowledge, the big ones I supported were the Callaspo trade, C.J. Wilson's signing and the Hanson-Walden deal.

Hey, I admit the truth. For better or for worse.

I liked the pujols, wilson, vargas and ianetta deals.  Getting something/anything for callaspo and downs was fine. 

was reasonably happy with the frieri, hanson, haren, hamilton deals

was meh about the Greinke deal and now the Freese trade

was not happy with the Wells and Blanton deals. 

I do believe this is the first time I've seen an AW board come together in agreement over an unknown quantity.  Everyone likes Phil Hughes.  Even more surprising to see him have this sort of support coming from pin stripes.  

It's sort of crazy when the majority of a fan base evaluates a player before they even put on the uniform.  When GMJ was signed, most thought it was a terrible idea and while he gave the Angels one solid year it seemed to work out how the fans pictured.  The same thing happened when Wells was traded for.  There were pockets here and there that thought this was a good idea (I laugh at those people now) but for the most part the fan base knew he wasn't going to do anything here.  Enter Joe Blanton, I think the entire fan base with the exception of Chuck saw that one as a horrible dumpster fire of a move and that's been an accurate assessment so far. 

If figure that if Hughes signs, given the overwhelming fan support there's a really good chance he turn into a solid #3/4 SP here. 

don't get me wrong, it's not like I think hughes is our savior.  Its more of the potential value that I like assuming that he truly can be had with a 2yr deal for about 18mil.  That's a decent bargain for a current #4/5 who is still yet to potentially reach his prime.  Add a third year to that and push the total to 30mil and then I'm a little less convinced.  Me being on board with signing phil hughes has everything to do with potental value. 

Not everyone like Hughes

Well I think you hit the nail on the head, Doc. Potential upside. He's only 28, clean enough mechanics, no degradation in the quality of his fastball or off speed pitches. Really he's just looking for the right scenario to succeed.

The Angels have quite a few things going for them in this race too. Dipoto demanded the inclusion of Hughes in the potential Haren trade when he was the AGM in Arizona, to which Cashman balked at and led to the trade with the Angels. Arte Moreno really liked Hughes and wanted to draft him out if high school but ultimately the team chose Weaver, despite contract demands. Finally, Hughes is local, which seems to be a big deal to this team.

When you add it all up, it's easy to envision Hughes being an Angel soon and finding success with them.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/when-walk-years-dont-work/

Article talks about Hughes and how his lack of a 3rd pitch and his ineffectiveness his 3rd time through the order. I'm sure many Yankees have tried to teach him to throw something else but maybe Weaver can help him. He has 5 or 6 different pitches and maybe Hughes can pick up on it. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/when-walk-years-dont-work/

Article talks about Hughes and how his lack of a 3rd pitch and his ineffectiveness his 3rd time through the order. I'm sure many Yankees have tried to teach him to throw something else but maybe Weaver can help him. He has 5 or 6 different pitches and maybe Hughes can pick up on it. 

Maybe Ricky Vaughn can show him how to throw the "Masturbator"

That article from fangraphs is interesting because the pitch fx data they have shows him having a Curve, Slider and Changeup as well as a cutter in addition to his fastball.

up until last year, his curve was his main secondary pitch. 

his fastball avg velo is 92

curve 75

slider 81

change 84

cutter 85

In 2010, when he was effective, his primary combo was Fastball, cutter and curve where the vast majority of his k's came via the fastball

In 2012, the fastball/curveball combo was very effective for him.  He got the vast majority of his k's with the fastball and threw his curve as the main secondary pitch with the change third and the slider rarely

In 2013, his main combo was fastball/slider getting the vast majority of his k's with the slider on swings out of the zone.  Yet it seems this combo made his fastball much less effective. 

Didn't realize this, but upon reading his bio, he's got a chronic bulging disk in his back that has been a bit of a recurring problem and perhaps why he went mostly slider in 2013. (he ended 2012 and started 2013 on the DL because of it). 

If he is fully healthy, it seems that he does have more than two pitches that are effecting and the fastball/curve combo seems to work for him, but I don't think we can expect more than 180ip from him in any given season. 

Still, a 2 year deal would be reasonable nonetheless.

That is my half-assed fan view pitching coach assessment. 

I'd love to see the Angels sign Hughes.  In fact, due to his age, I think the Angels should sign him to a 3/21 deal.  They wouldn't regret it.  He is a better pitcher than Blanton or Hanson.

After that, sign Tanaka.

If they are outbid, trade Howie to get a solid #3 pitcher.

If that doesn't work, sign Garza for the #3 in the rotation.

Worst case scenerio:

Weaver

Wilson

Garza

Hughes

Richards

That starting rotation is a huge step-up from this past season.

I'd love to see the Angels sign Hughes. In fact, due to his age, I think the Angels should sign him to a 3/21 deal. They wouldn't regret it. He is a better pitcher than Blanton or Hanson.

After that, sign Tanaka.

If they are outbid, trade Howie to get a solid #3 pitcher.

If that doesn't work, sign Garza for the #3 in the rotation.

Worst case scenerio:

Weaver

Wilson

Garza

Hughes

Richards

That starting rotation is a huge step-up from this past season.

I like it. My concern is garza sighing before the posting gets figured out.

On twitter I read an article about a possible trade for Sale invoking HK and Trumbo. Im sure it would cost more than that though.