• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Money Wasn't An Issue...

Angelsjunky

This would be our 2014 Angels (or something like it):

Lineup

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

DH Trumbo

3B Freese

2B Kendrick

C Conger

SS Aybar

Bench - Shuck, Iannetta, Romine, Green

Rotation

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka

Garza

Richards

Bullpen

Wilson

Frieri

Smith

Burnett

de la Rosa

Salas

Kohn

Of course money is an issue and more realistically we'll only get one of Tanaka/Garza, or perhaps someone else, and see Howie Kendrick traded for another starter, and not see Wilson signed. So realistically we'll see something like this:

Lineup

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

DH Trumbo

3B Freese

2B Green

C Conger

SS Aybar

Bench - Shuck, Iannetta, Romine, Jimenez

Rotation

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka/Garza/Nolasco

Trade for Kendrick

Richards

Bullpen

Frieri

Smith

Burnett

de la Rosa

Salas

Kohn

Blanton

Depending upon what Howie brings in, I can live with that.

Of course it could also be Trumbo, and Iannetta might be involved, but I think the second roster is more probable than the first, but the first would be a very, very good team.

Matt Garza is what he is: not exciting but solidly a #3 starter. He'd give the Angels what they most desperately need - a third #3 or higher starter to go along with Weaver and Wilson.

Now of course we can dream that Richards will be that good in 2014, and I think he could be, but I could also see him being about average - a #4 type - for a year, before breaking out in 2015 as a #3 type.

So far the issue you are pointing to is just a fan perception right now. What the season start payroll is will be determined by the front office.

So think on a grander scale, is going over the cap worth the additional revenue in fan participation? It is only a percentage tax of the amount over the cap not the entire team payroll so it is clearly a pennies on the dollar fine and could be less of a roadblock as many of you think.

I'd sign Tanaka, Phil Hughes and Roy Halladay (if it seems like his recovery is going well), and sign Jesse Crain in the bullpen.  I'd also trade Erick Aybar (or Howie Kendrick or Mark Trumbo) along with sweeteners to the Dodgers, Royals or Pirates for an arm like Zach Lee, Jamison Taillon, Tyler Glasnow, Yordano Ventura or Nick Kingham.

Lineup: 

RF  Calhoun, CF Trout, 1B Pujols, LF Hamilton, DH Trumbo, 3B Freese, C Conger, 2B Kendrick, SS Romine

Rotation:  Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Richards and Hughes (with Halladay as a wild-card and Williams as potential injury replacement/longman)

Bullpen:  Frieri, Crain, Joe Smith, Burnett, DeLaRosa, Salas, Williams/Blanton/Hanson