• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next important Date

gotbeer

I think they might non-tender Williams, then try to resign him at a lower cost.

Based on what pitchers are getting in FA -- that might be a mistake.

Williams made 2 mil last year..   IMO, there is real value in a guy that can go back and forth between the rotation and the pen.   Williams amassed nearly 170 innings last year and posted an ERA+ better than Dan Haren who signed for 10 mil.  Lincecum who signed for 2/35 and better than guys like CC Sabathia, Edwin Jackson, Jeremy Hellickson, Ian Kennedy, and Joe Sanders.  

Williams raw ERA of 4.57 is equal to what Ryan Dempster put up last year while making 13.25 mil.

IMO, the Angels would be wise to get some cost certainty in an area of extreme need and go 2-3 years at around 3-3.5 mil with Williams.     NOBODY here would bitch if the Angels signed a reliever with an ERA under 2.50 and a Whip below 1.00 to a three year 10 mil deal, and yet that's exactly what he did last season.  The fact that he can start is pure gravy IMO.

Yeah, he's been lit up in NY, Boston and Texas -- but he's been a guy the Angels could turn to in a pinch and get near league average production.  When you consider the idea of having to turn to Barry Enright and company in case of an injury -- Williams seems golden.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Based on what pitchers are getting in FA -- that might be a mistake.

Williams made 2 mil last year..   IMO, there is real value in a guy that can go back and forth between the rotation and the pen.   Williams amassed nearly 170 innings last year and posted an ERA+ better than Dan Haren who signed for 10 mil.  Lincecum who signed for 2/35 and better than guys like CC Sabathia, Edwin Jackson, Jeremy Hellickson, Ian Kennedy, and Joe Sanders.  

Williams raw ERA of 4.57 is equal to what Ryan Dempster put up last year while making 13.25 mil.

IMO, the Angels would be wise to get some cost certainty in an area of extreme need and go 2-3 years at around 3-3.5 mil with Williams.     NOBODY here would bitch if the Angels signed a reliever with an ERA under 2.50 and a Whip below 1.00 to a three year 10 mil deal, and yet that's exactly what he did last season.  The fact that he can start is pure gravy IMO.

Yeah, he's been lit up in NY, Boston and Texas -- but he's been a guy the Angels could turn to in a pinch and get near league average production.  When you consider the idea of having to turn to Barry Enright and company in case of an injury -- Williams seems golden.

Like many people here, I'm a bit biased towards Williams because he's a genuinely likable guy and he and his wife have positive interactions with the fans on this site.  I'm also frustrated by the torchings that you mentioned, but agree that he has overall value for the team and hope he'll be back.  

I would non- tender the rest and try to resign Williams to a lower contract. 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/pitching-notes-dodgers-giants-mujica-ayala-williams.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

One other arm that could enter the market is Angels righty Jerome Williams. Soon to turn 32, Williams' agent Larry O'Brien tells Cotillo (Twitter link) that he is rooting against a tender from the Halos since "there are many teams he could effectively start for." 

Two things:  The Angels inability to sign Vargas after not offering him a QO, and the quote above where he wants to start.

These things lead me to believe, if the Halos don't tender him, he will not be an Angels next year.

I can't think of one reason I'd rather have Jepsen than Kohn.

I kohnt think of one reason why you would rather have Kohn.

Jepsen has been injured quite a bit.  Between that he has been a legit setup man.

Kohn has been injured quite a bit.  Between that he has been a legit waste of a bullpen slot.  He kohn't throw strikes.  He kohn't get guys out, and he kohn't do anything for the Angels.  He is below replacement level.  He is one of those guys that you keep around until no longer serves a purpose...

Just like I don't understand anyone that is willing to pay Jerome Williams more than league minimum.

I can't think of one reason I'd rather have Jepsen than Kohn.

+1

Jepsen has had ELEVEN AND A HALF seasons in this org to figure things out.

Kohn will be entering year two after returning from TJ surgery. That is sometimes a big year forward. Plus the pen is deeper, which means he won't have as much pressure on him as this past season.

I kohnt think of one reason why you would rather have Kohn.

Jepsen has been injured quite a bit.  Between that he has been a legit setup man.

Kohn has been injured quite a bit.  Between that he has been a legit waste of a bullpen slot.  He kohn't throw strikes.  He kohn't get guys out, and he kohn't do anything for the Angels.  He is below replacement level.  He is one of those guys that you keep around until no longer serves a purpose...

Just like I don't understand anyone that is willing to pay Jerome Williams more than league minimum.

When has Jepsen been a legit setup man?  2012 was full of injuries/ the only season he has been above average.  He will make 1-2M next year.

Kohn had a 0.6 WAR last year - not below replacement level. He was a solid middle reliever.  He started pitching 5 years ago.  He will make the league minimum next year.

Kohn please.

Also, right now, this is what the 25 man kind of looks like.

1- C Conger

2 - 1B/DH Pujols

3 - 1B/DH Trumbo

4 - 2B Kendrick

5 - SS Aybar

6 - 3B Freese

7 - LF Hamilton

8 - CF Trout

9 - RF Callhoun

starting pitching

10 - Weaver

11 - Wilson

12 - Richards

13 - Blanton

14 - Williams

Relief Pitching

15 - Frieri

16 - Burnett

17 - Smith

18 - De La Rosa

19 - Salas

20 - Jepsen

Backup

20 - C Iannetta

21 - OF Shuck
22 - IF Green?
23 - ?
24 - ?
25 - ?

For spots 23-25 we do have players, just not sure how much of an option they would be.  7 man pen would take up one of those spots.  Getting a starter, IMO would move Williams to that 7th spot in the relief.  Hopefully Blanton can be traded for a prospect.  But that would mean 2 starting spots would need to be acquired.  

You have two 20s listed.

Walden and Jepsen have a in common that they have both been disappointing.  The difference is that Walden was earmarked as a front line closer or back end of the pen guy and is a decent middle reliever who still has some upside.  He'll never be a closer or 8th inning guy (unless he was still with the halos), but he's a decent 6th or 7th inning option.  

Jepsen had upside to be a middle reliever to back end guy but his fastball just ended up being way too hittable because he doesn't locate it well.  You can throw a flat 98mph if it's on the corners and/or elevated when you want it to be.  So he's really a last option out of the pen on a team with a poor colleciton of bullpen talent.  

A Walden type would be a nice final addition to the pen behind Frieri, Smith, Burnett, DDLR although I think Maronde and Morin are going to end up as the last two and I hope Shoemaker is the long guy.  Jep will be let go and Kohn starts in AAA.  Just a hunch.