• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Get ready for Dipoto to overpay on a starting pitcher (or two)

Angelsjunky

just get one pitcher and throw out the four man rotation like the rockies did in 2012

Actually I was thinking about this a couple of weeks back. In theory it does make sense. Buy or trade for top relievers and run out the 4-man rotation and limit them to no more than 6 innings or so and then run out the gas squad.

The reason being is simple. The Angels aren't bargaining from a point of advantage. They need young controllable pitching and whoever is willing to trade that to them can ask for the moon and stars and get it. The Angels have little choice but to overpay in talent if they want someone that's not making 10+ million.

How are the Orioles in an advantageous position? Who else can they get? Brandon Phillips? I don't like trading a quality 2b for a #4 starter. I would rather do Trumbo + prospect for Gonzalez. Orioles need a LF and DH.

I see the Angels signing Arroyo AND Colon for a combined price range of around $20 million, once they have the starters, they'll non-tender Hanson, Williams, Nelson, and Gutierrez and save themselves around $10 million in that process. So with the estimated $8 million left and the $10 million from the non-tenders, they'll be about $2 million over the threshold where they'll trade Howie for a pitching prospect or two who can give us depth in case of injuries or a Colon suspension shedding another $9 million of the payroll. So that's about $7 million left over, maybe sign Jeff Baker to play against lefties at second and left field to give Josh a break until Lindsey's ready (he's pretty close) then have a Baker/Lindsey platoon at second for the season. Or they could sign another lefty for the pen, I like Howell but O'flaherty could be a nice pickup as long as he doesn't pull a Madson.  

Honestly, at this point, I think it makes a ton of sense for the Angels to sign Phil Hughes.  He is young, as far as starters go he will be inexpensive and he will fill a rotation spot for several years.  His numbers away from Yankee Stadium make him totally worth it.

After that, you are not going to get Arroyo for just a year.  His agent has said he wants three and there is no way in hell the Angels should sign him for three years.  If you can get Colon for a one year, I'd do that.  If that doesn't work, you have to consider Garza.  He is a good #3 pitcher.

Weaver

Wilson

Colon

Hughes

Richards

or

Weaver

Wilson

Garza

Hughes

Richards

If you then add Howell or someone like him to the bullpen, you have improved the Angels pitching immensely.

My buddy Tino says they have a saying in his country about him - they call him the coyote of the desert that likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken

dammit IP, this is going to kill me. Whats that from!?!?

As per kuroda, didn't he say the same thing before he signed with the skanks back in the day? Is was either california or back to japan?

If I'm not mistaken, Hughes is a fly-ball pitcher. With all of the technology out there, I wonder how many of the cheap shot fly ball home runs at Yankee Stadiums would have really been outs. If they can get him in the 5-7 million range with incentives, it could be worth looking into.

If I'm not mistaken, Hughes is a fly-ball pitcher. With all of the technology out there, I wonder how many of the cheap shot fly ball home runs at Yankee Stadiums would have really been outs. If they can get him in the 5-7 million range with incentives, it could be worth looking into.

Yankee Stadium HR factor was 1.128 and Angels Stadium was 0.902. 

I don't know of a website that I can find where the HR he allowed were hit but he allowed 17 at home last year and 7 on the road. If you move that total down to around 10-12 HR at home with a move to Angels Stadium, his ERA is closer to 4.75 rather than 5.20. 

Obviously not good but getting closer to the #4 type of pitcher we need. His home numbers were downright awful and mostly unsustainable. With a move to Angels Stadium, his numbers might end up looking pretty good. Is he really going to have a HR/9 rate of 1.95 pitching in Anaheim in his home games? Highly doubt it. 

I'm on board for Hughes as long as he isn't overly expensive. Can definitely a 2012 type of year for him here, which is very similar to what Vargas just gave us.