• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ziegler It pays to cheat...Thanks owners, for encouraging PED use

HBMike

There is no question the Tigers are thrilled with Iglesias -- doesn't change the fact that their GM went on record as saying the suspension made the trade a necessity.  And as far as starting over him goes - he only made it back for three games prior to the postseason and he started two of them at SS before giving way to Peralta later in the game and moving to LF.   He also got the start in the critical game 5 of the ALDS.  To Leyland's credit he was creative and used Peralta in LF a lot in the ALCS to put his best possible team on the field, but he still managed to start two games at SS..   

Anyway ... when you said they made the trade because of his defense you were talking out your rear -- that just isn't the case.  The fact that they would replace Peralta with Iglesias for defensive reasons doesn't point to Peralta's defense being bad, so much as it's a nod to how awesome Iglesias is defensively.  

As a Angels fan that's watched Mike Trout give way Peter Boujos defensively, you wouldn't say they did that because Trout is a bad defender, would you???

Tigers GM explains the trade for Iglesias

http://www.freep.com/VideoNetwork/2575799123001/Tigers-GM-explains-trade-for-Iglesias

If I'm a Cards fan, I am pissed at this signing.

I'm not pissed.  Granted I'm not a fan of the PED issue, but this is not the first time a Cardinal has been connected to PEDs.   It is what it is.

Its bizarre because the Cardinals don't usually sign long contracts to guys who aren't already on the team. 

But overall, this is not a bad move at all.

Peralta ranks #4 in OPS for SS, only Tulo, Hanley, and Reyes are better.   Cards needed this offensive upgrade at SS, especially with the unproven Wong at 2B.

His defense is average.   Not spectacular, but not bad.

He is versatle and can be played at 3B, 1B, and LF if the need arises.

Cards do not have to give up a draft pick.

Cards do not have to trade away Miller, Martinez, or any other young pitcher.

This is a huge upgrade over Pete Kozma.    With Bourjos in CF, Carpenter at 3B, and Wong at 2B, the defense looks much better than last year.  

Also, Peralta has been durable.    Hasn't really missed any significant time due to injury. 

I'm not complaining about this and I like this option better than Stephen Drew.  But that's not to say I think the contract is about a year too long and I'm not a fan of the PED connection.  

SS was our main need, and the market was not great this year.    Mo did the best he could, all things considered, and without selling the farm to get someone like Tulo.

Here is an interesting take by the Post's Bernie Miklaz:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-a-comprehensive-look-at-peralta/article_a9b51076-3237-54d7-99b0-809d29aaf796.html

If I'm a Cards fan, I am pissed at this signing.

You must not follow the Cards too closely, then. SS has been a big gaping black hole pretty much since Renteria left (especially offensively).

It's probably a year more than most of us would like, but considering the options that were available and what others were asking in the trade market, the majority of us seem to be pleased with it. Especially not having given up any young talent.

I know I am!

By year two of this 4 year deal, Cards fans will be singing a different tune

Its longer than we'd like.. sure.    The market for SS is weak this year, Peralta had the leverage here. 

But what is the alternative?    Send Shelby Miller to Baltimore for one year of JJ Hardy?    Send Martinez, Miller, and Craig to Colorado for Tulo?   Sign Stephen Drew who provides very little upgrade over Kozma and lose a draft pick?

Cards are a better team now.  

Its longer than we'd like.. sure. The market for SS is weak this year, Peralta had the leverage here.

But what is the alternative? Send Shelby Miller to Baltimore for one year of JJ Hardy? Send Martinez, Miller, and Craig to Colorado for Tulo? Sign Stephen Drew who provides very little upgrade over Kozma and lose a draft pick?

Cards are a better team now.

How about Aybar for Kelly and maybe a prospect?

Thanks for confirming what I had stated.  Its great they found their SS of the future while covering their asses.  Bill Stoneman knew what he was doing when he elevated DD to GM in Montreal.  

I wish Arte would spend 250 Million to hire him away from the Tigers.  

By year two of this 4 year deal, Cards fans will be singing a different tune

Not sure why we should be so concerned about anything after year one, but we'll see. 

MUST. DEFEND. MY TEAM. ON ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD!

I'm SO terribly sorry.  I came to the place to check out reactions to the Freese/Bourjos trade and when I saw a fellow Cardinal fan that wasn't put to the stake for posting, I thought I'd chime in to a post that I found quite funny since the majority of fans I've seen the reaction of are positive.  Thanks for the kind welcome, though!  Guess not all boards are as welcoming as the Cards one I post on.