• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ziegler It pays to cheat...Thanks owners, for encouraging PED use

HBMike

Peralta's a cheater.  But the worst thing about all of this, he NEVER tested positive.  We know he's been cheating, and now we know that he's taking PED's that either MLB can't test for or taking something that doesn't come up positive.  Regardless, how many other players are doing the exact same thing he's doing and getting away with it.  And even though he's been caught, he still landed a 50+ million dollar contract headed into his age 32 season, so in essence, this A-hole just got away with it and was even rewarded for it. 

You know, we all praise the Cards for doing things the right way. I'd like to go on record and say they are shitting the bed on this one. Not only is he a PED user but didn't they say they pride themselves on defense? I thought Perslta was poor defensively.

Strad, not sure why people have been saying that.  Early in his career he came up hitting HRs and I think he was labeled a hitter first glove second SS, but he was never truly awful.  He did have a bad defensive season a few years back and maybe the label just stuck...

He's not Brendan Ryan but he's not awful.  

Yea I am not a defensive metric guy, not that I don't believe in them I just never learned to read them all. I was going by what I have seen and heard. He seems to me to have limited range and I'm guessing that won't get better with age. Oh and I wonder if the same people complaining about guaranteeing one year to Freese because of his age will speak out about four years and $52 million for a guy two years older at a tougher defensive position.

You don't actually have a problem with what he said, do you?

I think it's drastically oversimplified, and in being so, absolves the other parties who are just as much part of the "problem" as the owners are of their blame.

Edited by jshep

Yea I am not a defensive metric guy, not that I don't believe in them I just never learned to read them all. I was going by what I have seen and heard. He seems to me to have limited range and I'm guessing that won't get better with age. Oh and I wonder if the same people complaining about guaranteeing one year to Freese because of his age will speak out about four years and $52 million for a guy two years older at a tougher defensive position.

A lack of range is typically the easiest thing to catch with defensive metrics, it's some of the other stuff where the numbers fall short in.  FLD% for instance is one of the worst defensive stats around and likely the most commonly used..  Anyway, I've not seen Peralta be awful -- haven't seen him be awesome either.  He doesn't have Aybar's arm and he can't come in on a ball as well as Erick does - but, he does seem to go well to his glove side.

I haven't really been following the Freese bitching other than my own, but the few arguments I saw about his costs in dollars seemed to be aimed at his costs Vs PBs, and rolling with Jimenez and company.   

You know, we all praise the Cards for doing things the right way. I'd like to go on record and say they are shitting the bed on this one. Not only is he a PED user but didn't they say they pride themselves on defense? I thought Perslta was poor defensively.

He's actually been an above average defender every year since 2008 and was even really good in 2011 and 2012. 

I think the consensus among fans is that he's poor defensively since he's a big dude playing SS. 

Yes, but the Tigers are thrilled with Iglesias and he played ahead of Peralta when he came back.

There is no question the Tigers are thrilled with Iglesias -- doesn't change the fact that their GM went on record as saying the suspension made the trade a necessity.  And as far as starting over him goes - he only made it back for three games prior to the postseason and he started two of them at SS before giving way to Peralta later in the game and moving to LF.   He also got the start in the critical game 5 of the ALDS.  To Leyland's credit he was creative and used Peralta in LF a lot in the ALCS to put his best possible team on the field, but he still managed to start two games at SS..   

Anyway ... when you said they made the trade because of his defense you were talking out your rear -- that just isn't the case.  The fact that they would replace Peralta with Iglesias for defensive reasons doesn't point to Peralta's defense being bad, so much as it's a nod to how awesome Iglesias is defensively.  

As a Angels fan that's watched Mike Trout give way Peter Boujos defensively, you wouldn't say they did that because Trout is a bad defender, would you???

SS is a little more critical of a position for defense than 3rd base.

Of course, but they are looking at the defense as a whole. They can afford to go with an offense first shortstop because they just improved the D overall and they managed to do it without compromising any of their pitching. Kozma was not a good defender either so I'm not sure how big of a hit this really is. This is win-win-win for St. Louis.