• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YOUR Angels Offseason Ideas

Chuck

-Sign Joe Smith (check)

-Sign JP Howell for 2 years/6 million

-Go all in on Tanaka. Sign for 6/54. If they can't get Tanaka, go after Garza for 5/75.

-Trade Howie Kendrick and Michael Kohn to Baltimore for Miguel Gonzalez and Eduardo Rodriguez.

-Sign Kelly Johnson for 2 years/5.5 million to play 2nd.

-Trade Chris Iannetta to Toronto for Marcus Stroman

-Trade Joe Blanton + 6 million to anybody for anything.

-Tender Jerome Williams for 3 million.

-Non-tender Jepsen, Gutierrez, Hanson

Total payroll added including Salas and Freese = 12 million (Worst case with signing Garza)

2014 Rotation:

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka/Garza

Gonzalez

Richards

Stroman

Williams

Shoemaker

Bullpen:

Frieri

Smith

DDLR

Burnett

Howell

Williams

Salas

Morin

Alvarez

Shoemaker

Lineup:

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

Hamilton

Trumbo

Freese

Aybar

Kelly

Conger

Shuck

Romine

Green

Hester

I like it.

- Sign Arroyo or Colon

- Sign Hughes

- Toss in a 50M posting fee for Tanaka, but don't count on him.

- Trade Trumbo or Aybar (not Kendrick) for a guy like Wisler, Montero, Glasnow, etc

- Dump Williams, keep Hanson

- Take a look at Rajai Davis to keep JB Shuck away from any ABs

- Try to flip David Freese

Edited by Scott34

- Sign Arroyo or Colon

- Sign Hughes

- Toss in a 50M posting fee for Tanaka, but don't count on him.

- Trade Trumbo or Aybar (not Kendrick) for a guy like Wisler, Montero, Glasnow, etc

- Dump Williams, keep Hanson

- Take a look at Rajai Davis to keep JB Shuck away from any ABs

- Try to flip David Freese

Well you were off to a good start at least.

They're not flipping Freese and Jimenez is not very good.

Hanson over Williams? Hell no! Jerome can spot start, pitch out of long relief and short innings. Hanson is almost Blanton bad.

They're not trading Trumbo from what I'm told. If anything, Aybar for a young arm.

I'm fine with getting a speedster like Davis off the bench for pinch running duties and occasional spot starts.

I'm still not sure how I feel about about Phil Hughes. Maybe coming home will help though?

Do whatever you can to get Tanaka up to 125 mil in combined cost between posting and contract. 

Trade Aybar for Allen Webster

Keep Tommy Hanson

Release Blanton

non-tender Williams

Rotation:

Weaver

Tanaka

Wilson

Richards

Webster

Sign JP Howell then wait the market out to see if a solid pen arm falls through the cracks and consider a 1yr deal if it's an option

Pen:

Frieri

Smith

Burnett

Howell

DDLR

Morin

Shoemaker/Hanson swing/6th man

Lineup

Calhoun RF

Freese 3b

Trout CF

Pujols 1b

Hamilton LF

Kendrick 2b

Trumbo DH

Ianetta/Conger C

Romine SS

Bench:

Shuck (4th OF

Green (2b,3b,SS)

Field (SS, 2b)

Matt Long (5th OF, PR, 2b)

If you can't get Tanaka, I would sign Colon to a 2yr deal and trade Trumbo for the best SP you can get and then sign Hart to DH and backup 1b. 

If things aren't good by the ASB, I would trade Wilson, Ianetta, Freese, Trumbo, and Kendrick for pitching, a SS and 3b prospect.  

Do whatever you can to get Tanaka up to 125 mil in combined cost between posting and contract.

Trade Aybar for Allen Webster

Keep Tommy Hanson

Release Blanton

non-tender Williams

Rotation:

Weaver

Tanaka

Wilson

Richards

Webster

Sign JP Howell then wait the market out to see if a solid pen arm falls through the cracks and consider a 1yr deal if it's an option

Pen:

Frieri

Smith

Burnett

Howell

DDLR

Morin

Shoemaker/Hanson swing/6th man

Lineup

Calhoun RF

Freese 3b

Trout CF

Pujols 1b

Hamilton LF

Kendrick 2b

Trumbo DH

Ianetta/Conger C

Romine SS

Bench:

Shuck (4th OF

Green (2b,3b,SS)

Field (SS, 2b)

Matt Long (5th OF, PR, 2b)

If you can't get Tanaka, I would sign Colon to a 2yr deal and trade Trumbo for the best SP you can get and then sign Hart to DH and backup 1b.

If things aren't good by the ASB, I would trade Wilson, Ianetta, Freese, Trumbo, and Kendrick for pitching, a SS and 3b prospect.

The only gripe is that Boston doesn't need a SS. They have Boegarts.

I think they should get one of Colon or Arroyo and then go all in on Tanaka. But I'm fearful if we don't get him our options may be few if the Tanaka process takes a bit.

The only gripe is that Boston doesn't need a SS. They have Boegarts

Contingent on them trading middlebrooks and putting Boegarts at 3b.  Forgot to mention that. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Williams over Hanson as well if the money were equal, but I think Hanson is going to take a cut in arb.

Sign Bronson Arroyo - 1 Year Deal, 12 million per year. Club option for $1 M buyout in 2015.

Sign Robinson Cano - 7 year deal, 27.5 million per year. 

Trade Howie Kendrick, Chris Iannetta, Joe Blanton to the Blue Jays for Mark Buerhle, Sergio Santos, JP Arenciba and Minor Leaguer Aaron Sanchez. This is roughly a $2M add for 2014. 

Non-Tender Williams, Jepsen, Gutierrez, Nelson, Hanson for savings of 11.3 Million.

Why:

1) Arroyo becomes the third starter. Buehrle the fourth, Richards the fifth. Good rotation, 5 guys capable of 200 innings and 32/33 starts, all with ERA's under 4. Blanton is purely a salary dump, they can include Cash instead if they don't want him. 

2) Santos becomes a valuable member of the pen and option closer. Pen is now Frieri, Smith, Santos, Burnett, De La Rosa, Morin/Maronde/Shoemaker/Roth/Kohn. That's four good relievers and a bunch of young guys.

3) While Young Pitching is at a premium, this lineup is a straight murderers row. The rotation actually wasn't that bad last year, they just didn't pitch enough innings on the average, because of injury and Blanton/Hanson's penchant for throwing five innings and being down when they exited. With more reliable arms in the rotation who should give you 6-7 innings every night, they don't have as many innings for the vastly improved pen.

Robinson Cano is a top five hitter, who yes is 31. It would be the third straight offseason they signed the #1 hitter in the market and one that is also 31 years old.

The lineup projects to 

CF Trout - R

2B Cano - L

1B Pujols - R

LF Hamilton - L

DH Trumbo - R

RF Calhoun - L

3B Freese - R

C Conger / Arenciba - S

SS Aybar - S

This team has five guys who could hit 30 home runs (Trout, Cano, Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo). 8 guys should hit 30 2B. Conger and Arenciba should combine for 30 / 30. And Every player in the lineup should hit .280 or higher (except Catcher).

900 runs scored is a possibility. And the staff should allow 700 or less.

Which is a playoff team. With offense.

AND A HUGE PAYROLL.

Look, I know the budget doesn't support this, but the payroll breaks down to $178.6 Million for 2014. That's going to be over the CBT at an AAV of 205 including some unseen numbers. But next year, in 2015, it's not going to be as I think they'll cut ties with Trumbo, Arroyo, Santos, Sean Burnett, and Arenciba and replace them with Cron, Sanchez, Morin, Maronde, and a Backup Catcher for at or near the league minimum.

Vernon Wells will be off the books. Mike Trout will earn $17M plus though. 

The AAV dips to 189.2. Right under the CBT.

And going forward, in 2016, Mark Buerhle comes off the books, as does Freese. But Trout's due a raise and so are Richards and Conger. Hopefully Sappington is ready for a rotation spot so you'd have Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Sanchez, Sappington. Hopefully Kaleb Cowart is ready. Keeps the AAV payroll at or near the CBT. Real payroll is probably higher with Pujols/Cano/Hamilton all getting more money than their AAV.

And in 2017, you'd have Richards and Calhoun up for raises and Trout again. Cron is due a raise in his first arbitration year. You'd also have two starters to replace and need a new SS, hopefully Stamets or a future draft pick. 

And in 2018, Hamilton comes off the books just in Time for Trout to sign an extension. You'd have three years left with Cano and four with Pujols, but no other major contracts.

And before anyone slaps me down, I'm trying to think outside the "young pitching" box.

It's also just as likely they throw money at two free agent starters, but since they already have two locked up for the 2014-2015-2016… locking up two more free agent starters to $10+ M contracts probably doesn't work financially.

If Arte is not willing to pass the luxury tax limit:

Sign Colon to a 1 year deal with a second year option/buyout

Sign Phil Hughes

Sign Howell

If you can trade Howie for some young prospects, do that as well.

If Arte is willing to pass the luxury tax limit:

Get Tanaka

If you are outbid for Tanaka, sign Garza

Sign Phil Hughes

Sign Howell

Again, if you can trade Howie for some young prospects, do that.

11.25M for Gallardo is not bad considering the market right now. He also has an option for 2013.

Trade Trumbo, Jepsen, Lindsey for Gallardo and Tyler Thornburg

Sign Franklin Gutierrez and Kurt Suzuki 

Sign Jeff Niemann and Scott Baker to minor league deals

Use Maronde as a second lefty/ long man

Non-tender Nelson, Hanson, Williams, Gutierrez

Edited by SigBaby