• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 25-Man Roster

Angelsjunky

the best option for this team is still Tanaka. 

Unfortunately, even if he gets posted, we have a very slim shot at getting him and we likely won't be able to wait to find out. 

Although I think Garza helps the team for the next couple of years, his value doesn't come anywhere close to his cost.  The deal he is likely to get is the type that the halos need to avoid for the next couple of years.  It's probably a net negative of about 20mil over it's life.  If Garza's value dropped due to his poor performance in texas then we could see him sign a more reasonable deal but I doubt it.  It's probably going to take 5/80-90 to get him. An Anibal Sanchez deal for a much lesser player.  Problem is, I just don't know who else helps the team as much.  I'd rather overpay a for Garza than get Arroyo. 

The best thing for this team long term is to sign a 1yr guy, but the best thing for 2014 is probably Garza.  Tough call. 

I'd be fine with paying 5/80 for Garza because he's what's best for 2014, but I also feel like such short-sighted decisions led to this payroll squeeze. This team will live and die by Albert and Josh's ability to swing the bat and Tyler and Garrett's ability to throw the ball. I feel like those are the most uncertain commodities. If they perform this team is deep and will win, if they can't step up then there isn't anything Garza or Tanaka could do that would change the outcome.

In fact, I'd consider one more SP a bigger need than a Free Agent bat.  The Angels don't need to replace HR's in their lineup, they need to replace offensive value (Runs Created).  By getting Calhoun into the lineup and perhaps allowing Green to DH (he's never had a problem with the bat), the Angels could solve that problem.  Down the road, Cron might even take this role. 

I agree. Don't forget games in which Iannetta is behind the plate and Conger can DH. I think Hank is going to surprise a bit with his bat, maybe hit .270/.800 or so.

the best option for this team is still Tanaka. 

Unfortunately, even if he gets posted, we have a very slim shot at getting him and we likely won't be able to wait to find out. 

Although I think Garza helps the team for the next couple of years, his value doesn't come anywhere close to his cost.  The deal he is likely to get is the type that the halos need to avoid for the next couple of years.  It's probably a net negative of about 20mil over it's life.  If Garza's value dropped due to his poor performance in texas then we could see him sign a more reasonable deal but I doubt it.  It's probably going to take 5/80-90 to get him. An Anibal Sanchez deal for a much lesser player.  Problem is, I just don't know who else helps the team as much.  I'd rather overpay a for Garza than get Arroyo. 

The best thing for this team long term is to sign a 1yr guy, but the best thing for 2014 is probably Garza.  Tough call. 

Agree on all accounts. Of course we could say that statement - that "his value doesn't come anywhere close to his cost" - about almost any player, except for those who haven't hit arbitration yet.

I see Garza getting somewhere between 4/$60MM - if teams balk at his injury history and his signing is put off for a month or two - and 5/$80MM, which would be in the Wilson/Weaver range. He's not as good as either pitcher, so he'd be quite a bit overpaid. But you could do worse than pay Garza $15MM a year. He's a pretty good pitcher.

So what's the batting order?

I'm not a fan of positing batting orders because I think it depends upon the situation, but as of now I'd go with this, with some projections:

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

3B Freese

2B Kendrick

C Iannetta/Conger

DH Green/Conger

SS Aybar

The good news is that there's not an easy out, and the drop-off from the heart of the order isn't so steep with Freese and Kendrick at 5-6.

Edited by Angelsjunky

With all the changes happening I thought it might be good to keep track of the changing team. Here's what I've got so far

Bold = new players

C Conger

1B Pujols

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

DH Ibanez

Bench - Ianetta, Green, Romine, Shuck

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Richards

SP Santiago

SP Skaggs

CL Frieri

RP Smith

RP Burnett

RP de la Rosa

RP Salas

RP Kohn

RP Blanton

Question marks/possibles: Maronde, Jepsen, Coello, Rasmus, Rapada, Moran, Shoemaker, Nelson, Jimenez, Field

If somehow Salas makes the opening day roster..I doubt he stays on it.

With all the changes happening I thought it might be good to keep track of the changing team. Here's what I've got so far

Bold = new players

C Conger

1B Pujols

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

DH Ibanez

Bench - Ianetta, Green, Romine, Shuck

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Richards

SP Santiago

SP Skaggs

CL Frieri

RP Smith

RP Burnett

RP de la Rosa

RP Salas

RP Kohn

RP Blanton

Question marks/possibles: Maronde, Jepsen, Coello, Rasmus, Rapada, Moran, Shoemaker, Nelson, Jimenez, Field

You forgot Mathis.