• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 25-Man Roster

Angelsjunky

With all the changes happening I thought it might be good to keep track of the changing team. Here's what I've got so far

Bold = new players

C Conger

1B Pujols

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

DH Ibanez

Bench - Ianetta, Green, Romine, Shuck

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Richards

SP Santiago

SP Skaggs

CL Frieri

RP Smith

RP Burnett

RP de la Rosa

RP Salas

RP Kohn

RP Blanton

Question marks/possibles: Maronde, Jepsen, Coello, Rasmus, Rapada, Moran, Shoemaker, Nelson, Jimenez, Field

Edited by Angelsjunky

With all the changes happening I thought it might be good to keep track of the changing team. Here's what I've got so far

Bold = new players

Italics = possible trades

C Conger/Iannetta

1B Pujols

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

CF Trout

RF Calhoun/Shuck

DH Trumbo

Bench - Green, Romine

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Richards

SP ?

SP ?

CL Frieri

RP Smith

RP Burnett (L)

RP de la Rosa

RP Salas

RP Kohn

RP ? (L?)

Question marks/possibles: Williams, Hanson, Blanton, Maronde, Jepsen, Coello, Rasmus, Shoemaker, Nelson, Jimenez, Field

Fixed

I think Morin has a shot to make the club this spring. 

And I am hoping that a bit of rest will help Maronde get back to form. 

Those two could be major contributors next year as I think they are done adding to the pen even though I wouldn't mind seeing them sign one more guy. 

Maybe a good depth guy and a couple of non roster spring guys. 

• 3 weeks later...

After one serious trade, I'm considerably more optimistic for 2014 than before.  I wasn't sure we'd get anything more than a #4/5 SP a year or two away from FA in return for Trumbo.  The fact that we received a #3/4 that's 4 years away from FA and one of the best pitching prospects in the game, plus 4 million in salary relief is just outstanding. 

The way I see it, Freese is an upgrade at 3B, Hamilton couldn't possibly be worse and was trending in the right direction, for the first time in half a decade Albert Pujols is healthy, Mike Trout will be playing in his age 22 season, which will likely be as good or better than age 21 and Calhoun's OBP, speed and power has been infused into the lineup.  Even without Trumbo, this offense has a good chance at being better in 2014 than it was in 2013.

As for the rotation, Santiago is better and younger than Vargas, Richards is better and younger than Hanson, and Skaggs/a pitching machine with a bucket of balls is better and younger than Williams/Blanton.  Also, I wouldn't count on Weaver braking any more bones but you never know.  The rotation looks MUCH BETTER.

The bullpen is even showing some signs.  Frieri's dynamic.  Joe Smith was a big acquisition and should really help steady the back end.  Sean Burnett is expected be back 100%.  Before injury, he was basically a left handed Joe Smith.  De La Rosa and his sub-3 ERA projects to be our 6th inning man right now.  Kohn and Jepsen are a couple of projectable, hard-throwing monkeys in the middle right now.  Salas posted a 1.93 ERA in AAA last year and logged 24 saves and a 2.28 ERA in the Major Leagues 2 years ago.  Rasmus logged a 1.94 ERA last season in AAA and carries a promising WHIP and K/9 as a reliever.  We also have Maronde, Morin, Alvarez and Bedrosian all being likely a year away from the bullpen.  Add a recovered Brandon Sisk into the mix and suddenly we look deep.

Then there's the last part.  The Angels are close to 20 million UNDER the Luxury Tax right now.  They also have Wells coming off the books at the end of the year.  There isn't any reason why this team can't offer Trout the insane money he deserves.  If this trade hasn't saved Dipoto's job than I'm not sure what will.  That looks like a playoff contender to me, and there's room to get get better too.    

Nice to see you fired up, Scotty. I like the team a lot better now, too, and even though I didn't like the Bourjos-Freese trade, I realize that it makes the team better in the short-term.

That said, there are question marks about both Santiago and Skaggs that would make me feel better about another pitcher being signed or traded for. Skaggs' loss in velocity is a bit worrisome, and Santiago looks like he's got control issues. But I really like this trade and am reasonably optimistic about both, especially Skaggs in the long-term. 

I'd be happy with Garza for 4/$60MM, but think he'll get 5/$75MM, which might be a bit much. The Angels might want to go for a one-year option.

Plus we still might see a bat brought in to DH, although who I have no idea.

Bold = new players

C Conger/Iannetta

1B Pujols

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

DH Green/Cron

Bench - Romine, Shuck

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Richards

SP Santiago

SP Skaggs

CL Frieri

RP Smith

RP Burnett (L)

RP de la Rosa

RP Salas

RP Kohn

RP Blanton

Question marks/possibles: Maronde, Jepsen, Coello, Rasmus, Shoemaker, Nelson, Jimenez, Field

don't count out Rapada  think he'd be great as a situational lefty

Nice to see you fired up, Scotty. I like the team a lot better now, too, and even though I didn't like the Bourjos-Freese trade, I realize that it makes the team better in the short-term.

That said, there are question marks about both Santiago and Skaggs that would make me feel better about another pitcher being signed or traded for. Skaggs' loss in velocity is a bit worrisome, and Santiago looks like he's got control issues. But I really like this trade and am reasonably optimistic about both, especially Skaggs in the long-term. 

I'd be happy with Garza for 4/$60MM, but think he'll get 5/$75MM, which might be a bit much. The Angels might want to go for a one-year option.

Plus we still might see a bat brought in to DH, although who I have no idea.

Absolutely in favor of signing another arm.  Most good teams are considerably deeper than 5-men in the rotation.  I like Shoemaker as a swingman and as depth in general, but signing another SP couldn't hurt at all. 

In fact, I'd consider one more SP a bigger need than a Free Agent bat.  The Angels don't need to replace HR's in their lineup, they need to replace offensive value (Runs Created).  By getting Calhoun into the lineup and perhaps allowing Green to DH (he's never had a problem with the bat), the Angels could solve that problem.  Down the road, Cron might even take this role.