• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Metal detectors coming to baseball stadiums

Bill Melton

This is from an Associated Press story:

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Baseball fans should expect to go through a metal detector to see their favorite team play in 2014.

Major League Baseball security director John Skinner said on Friday that all 30 teams are expected to screen all fans entering their ballparks next season. Some aspects of the screening will be left to individual teams, but the commissioner's office is planning to recommend walk-through metal detectors, he said.

I hate to see this, and wonder whether it will result in the Angels/city closing some gates in order to avoid the expense of installing the detectors.

But we already walk through the detectors at Staples, so I guess it was going to come to this at some point.

Thoughts?

This is the ultimate nightmare scenario. 

LAX averages about 87,000 departing passengers per day, but that's over the course of 24 hours!  That averages to 3625 per hour.  Ballparks on the other hand will have 40,000 fans trying to pass through metal detectors within a one-hour window before games.  I wouldn't expect the security check to be as rigorous, but there's no way that ballparks will have the same number of metal detectors either.  LAX has dozens of them.  

So basically what we're looking at is a security line five to ten times longer than all terminals combined at LAX.  To get everybody through the gates for a 7:05pm game, they'll have to start mid-afternoon. 

This isn't really surprising.

Not that I'm complaining but I've always thought they didn't do a good enough search before people walk in.

What do you base this on? 

It's not like we have an abundance of violence at MLB games, and when it happens, it's usually the result of copious amounts of alcohol being served up, not some terrorist. 

I'm not even clear what the metal detectors are intended for.  They already search your bags, so I guess MLB is worried about people with knives or a glock hidden in their waistband?  Ballparks are the last place I'd fear getting shot or stabbed at.  There's too many people around to intervene and overpower a potential attacker. 

This is the ultimate nightmare scenario. 

LAX averages about 87,000 departing passengers per day, but that's over the course of 24 hours!  That averages to 3625 per hour.  Ballparks on the other hand will have 40,000 fans trying to pass through metal detectors within a one-hour window before games.  I wouldn't expect the security check to be as rigorous, but there's no way that ballparks will have the same number of metal detectors either.  LAX has dozens of them.  

So basically what we're looking at is a security line five to ten times longer than all terminals combined at LAX.  To get everybody through the gates for a 7:05pm game, they'll have to start mid-afternoon. 

Last time I went to a game, I didn't notice people bringing carry ons and laptops. I also doubt people will have to take their shoes and belts off when going through the detectors. It won't be that bad.

It doesn't take that long at Honda Center or Staples Center. Granted, it's about half as many people, but it never takes that long.

Yeah, you just have to know to take everything metal out of your pockets, and make sure to show them that you have a belt buckle, and as long as you don't have a piece in your waistband, it takes two seconds to scan you with hand held ones.  The big ones you walk through are probably even faster.

The key to it all is be prepared.

Edited by Kenny