• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 Rotation

SigBaby

This is what I see shaping up now that we are 1 trade piece down and the rotation still not helped. First of all, Williams and Hanson will be non-tendered. I think we will have to trade Trumbo + others for a 3, then look to sign 2-3 starters to minor league deals w/ incentives to compete with Blanton.

Teams who could be interested in a Trumbo centered package :

Orioles: Miguel Gonzalez

Brewers: Yovani Gallardo

Diamondbacks: Trevor Cahill/ Wade Miley

Mets: Niese

Rays: Hellickson/ Odorozzi

Rockies: Chacin

As for the 5 spot, I would sign 2-3 of the following to a minor league deal+ incentives:

Scott Baker

Roberto Hernandez

Jair Jurrjens

Jeff Karstens

James McDonald

Jeff Niemann

Felipe Paulino

Edinson Volquez

Whoever pitches best gets a spot either as a starter or long reliever. Regardless, I think Blanton stays on as the 5 starter if he pitches the best or long reliever even if the other 2 out pitch him just because of his contract. 

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Trumbo trade

4. Richards

5. FA Competition/ Blanton

Edited by SigBaby

How much money are they wasting already on non-productive players? I agree that they'll likely go into spring with Blanton on the roster(and see if they can deal him or see how he does throughout spring), but that guy should not be guaranteed ANY role right now. He was horrible as a starter and even worse as a reliever

Personally, I think we'll see Dipoto finally get a little creative this offseason.  Right now, the Angels have 11 million to play with before exceeding he luxury tax.  

I think Dipoto will go out and sign Hiroki Kuroda to a one year deal (15 million) with two player options (and will catch heat for forfeiting our 1st round selection in the draft).  The reason why he'll do this, it takes the pressure off the Angels finding a team willing to surrender a #2/3 SP the Angels need in return for Kendrick.  When teams know the Angels are in need, the Angels have an inherent disadvantage in the negotiating process.  This effectively puts them over the threshold by 4 million.

Then the Angels will deal Howie Kendrick and Alex Yarbrough to Baltimore for Miguel Gonzalez.  That should put the angels under the Luxury Tax by about 6 million.

Then they'll top it off with the most non-creative but heavily anticipated move that everyone can see from a mile away.  They'll sign Joe Smith for 2 years 10 million with a team option for a 3rd year. 

They'll end up just under the Luxury Tax and their starting rotation will be Weaver, Wilson, Kuroda, Gonzalez and Richards.  The bullpen will be Frieri, Smith, Burnett, Salas, DDLR, Jepsen and Blanton.  Freese will be at 3B, Green will be at 2B, Calhoun will be in RF and they should be a competitive ball club. 

Personally, I think we'll see Dipoto finally get a little creative this offseason.  Right now, the Angels have 11 million to play with before exceeding he luxury tax.  

I think Dipoto will go out and sign Hiroki Kuroda to a one year deal (15 million) with two player options (and will catch heat for forfeiting our 1st round selection in the draft).  The reason why he'll do this, it takes the pressure off the Angels finding a team willing to surrender a #2/3 SP the Angels need in return for Kendrick.  When teams know the Angels are in need, the Angels have an inherent disadvantage in the negotiating process.  This effectively puts them over the threshold by 4 million.

Then the Angels will deal Howie Kendrick and Alex Yarbrough to Baltimore for Miguel Gonzalez.  That should put the angels under the Luxury Tax by about 6 million.

Then they'll top it off with the most non-creative but heavily anticipated move that everyone can see from a mile away.  They'll sign Joe Smith for 2 years 10 million with a team option for a 3rd year. 

They'll end up just under the Luxury Tax and their starting rotation will be Weaver, Wilson, Kuroda, Gonzalez and Richards.  The bullpen will be Frieri, Smith, Burnett, Salas, DDLR, Jepsen and Blanton.  Freese will be at 3B, Green will be at 2B, Calhoun will be in RF and they should be a competitive ball club. 

The OF better be practicing catching rolling balls coming their way.

SigBaby, I'm guessing that Howie Kendrick is more likely to go than Trumbo, especially now that Bourjos is gone.

I think Scotty has it about right - or at least something like that - but I don't think Kuroda signs with the Angels. I'm not sure who it will be, but Dipoto will probably acquire two more starters, one by trade and one by free agency, and one reliever by free agency.

At this point holding on to Trumbo is probably for the best. Go into 2014 with the best possible offense. Go all in on Tanaka or (ugh) Garza, and then trade Kendrick OR Aybar for a 4th starter. Trade Iannetta for a prospect to get under the luxury tax threshold.

At this point holding on to Trumbo is probably for the best. Go into 2014 with the best possible offense. Go all in on Tanaka or (ugh) Garza, and then trade Kendrick OR Aybar for a 4th starter. Trade Iannetta for a prospect to get under the luxury tax threshold.

Good point, if luxury tax is an issue just deal Iannetta to clear payroll.

Earlier was just a prediction, it'll be totally wrong I'm sure, but I did luck out with the David Freese prediction so you never know.  The pitchers I see the Angels being in on in Free Agency are Kuroda and Hughes.  Via trade, I think they'll target Gonzalez, Hellickson, Kluber, Locke, Luebke, Cahill and Kennedy. 

Lots of options out there but I think the Bourjos trade likely means Trumbo stays.  And if that's the case I really only see a couple of fits for Kendrick.  Toronto and Baltimore.  Toronto really doesn't match up in terms of what we're looking for and Baltimore does, which is why I went with Gonzalez. 

Earlier was just a prediction, it'll be totally wrong I'm sure, but I did luck out with the David Freese prediction so you never know.  The pitchers I see the Angels being in on in Free Agency are Kuroda and Hughes.  Via trade, I think they'll target Gonzalez, Hellickson, Kluber, Locke, Luebke, Cahill and Kennedy. 

Lots of options out there but I think the Bourjos trade likely means Trumbo stays.  And if that's the case I really only see a couple of fits for Kendrick.  Toronto and Baltimore.  Toronto really doesn't match up in terms of what we're looking for and Baltimore does, which is why I went with Gonzalez. 

Potentially the Braves and Reds might be interested. Braves have Beachy, Alex Wood, Medlen, Minor, Teheran, David Hale and upcoming prospects. Maybe we could get one of Beachy, Wood, Medlen

Edited by SigBaby

Yeah Toronto has the prospects, but their MLB ready rotation is just awful. Baltimore is really the only team I see immediately who matches up with Kendrick.

Kansas City also needs a 2B but I don't see them trading any of their main rotation (Shields, Guthrie and of course, Vargas). The prospects are very nice though.

Gotta hope for Richards to have a breakthrough season, and that they can find a solid #4, which leaves #5. To me, why not just give it to Williams? If he puts the bad July behind him, he can be a rock solid #5. He pitched about 170 innings in 2013, which means he can handle a 190-200 innings workload in 2014 as a permanent #5 starter.

Gotta hope for Richards to have a breakthrough season, and that they can find a solid #4, which leaves #5. To me, why not just give it to Williams? If he puts the bad July behind him, he can be a rock solid #5. He pitched about 170 innings in 2013, which means he can handle a 190-200 innings workload in 2014 as a permanent #5 starter.

Richards IS the #5.

Not giving up our first round pick for 1 or 2 years of Kuroda, that's absurd. Angels can't afford to give up anymore first round picks. As much as it pains me to say, I think Arroyo could be on his way to Anaheim. It wouldn't be smart to trade any of our remaining assets now, Howie gets traded, we put Green at second (yuck), and I think Bourjos got traded so Trumbo could stay. Angels need one guy with an ERA in the mid 3's and another guy with an ERA in the upper 3's who could both pitch 200 innings which I just don't see happening