• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Frieri will close in 2014

SoWhat

What is Dipoto's fascination with mediocre relievers? Rasmus? Stange? Gutierrez? And now Salas?

Salas is the definition of mediocre.

So, we just traded a great defensive OF who has seemingly learned how to hit up here PLUS a young soon-to-be AAA OF who defends well, throws well, runs solidly, and has great power potential.....for an overrated 3B who might as well have been Callaspo in 2013 and yet another Gutierrez clone?

Dipoto is fast reaching Dick Walsh territory!

Anything less than two very good relievers added will constitute an off season failure as to the pen. The pen is terrible right now, and adding two arms will merely serve to make the pen an average pen. Ideally, they would add three very good arms, but that ain't happening.

If we start next season with Jepsen in the pen, our pen will still suck.  Not to simplify too much, but Jepsen is my line between sucking and having the potential to be good.  I don't want to see him pitch in an Angels uniform again, but I'd love to see him in a Texas uni.

I thought Dipoto needs to concentrate on SP and no other positions. lol Dipoto haters.

What? He needs to focus on PITCHING, starters and pen, which is what we've all been saying this entire offseason. Did you see how bad the team was in both areas last year? They seriously need 2 starters and about 2-3 bullpen arms....all in one offseason

that doesn't even take into account the depth in those areas in the minor leagues, which is lacking as well. Pen may have some arms to turn to though this upcoming year. RJ Alvarez and Morin are close to big league ready

Edited by bloodbrother

I guess we're not pursuing Nathan.........oh well.

more of the same.

Frieri has pitched well but somewhat inconsistent.......for what we paid to get him, he's a bargain.

I'd prefer him as a set up guy and really beef up our pen plus a new number three type rotation arm.

Not sure why everyone is down on Salas.........he was very effective in 2011 for St. Louis -- yeah, that's two years ago and all.

But we need pen depth and Salas may be able to provide that.

Of course, last year at this time our 'new' closer who was going to replace Frieri was a guy named Madsen......

I don't think Salas (or anyone we get for the pen this year) can top Madsen's 2013 ERA -- it was 0.00.

But hopefully Salas and any other new acquisition can top Madsen's  Games Played and Innings Pitched stat from 2013: ZERO.

There were also a lot of ZEROES behind the lead number listed on the contract the Halos paid him for 2013.

I've got no problem with Frieri being handed the closer job at this point as long as there is an overall improvement of talent added. 

Almost every playoff team changed closers and adjusted pen roles during the season.  What made that feasible for those teams was the depth of talent 1-5 or even 1-6. 

2 or 3 strong acquisitions to the pen makes this less of an issue.