• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto fan club check-in

m0nkey

By that time other teams may be interested, not because his stock would improve but because other teams would be desperate after not getting what they wanted in free agency.

That's a gamble isn't it? What if the market for a CFer is dry going into spring training and you rejected this deal then? Now you have 5 OFers and every league knows you are desperate to dump one. To me, that makes it seem like the team would be in the exact same boat it was earlier today.

I just don't see how his value changes at all from now to ST.

I don't see how this hurts the team in the short run. Freese is likely at least as good as what they currently have at 3B. Probably a bit better. Maybe considerably better. They have too many players for OF/1B/DH. If Bourjos plays, you are sitting Calhoun or Trumbo, which may be a downgrade. I still believe Bourjos can repeat what he did in 2011, but it is far from a lock.

The big signings, Bourjos' injuries, and the fact their best young player named Mike Trout is an OF, put the Angels in a tough spot. They had to trade someone.

I would've preferred to deal Trumbo and/or others. I don't like the deal, but the general reaction I've seen is pretty wacky.

A good honest answer I can appreciate. The rest, hyperbole x100

Pitching.  We need pitching. 

This is a trade that does not seem to be time sensitive.  This trade could have happened later in the offseason after Dipoto addressed our pitching needs.  I realize there were three players at third base, bit not one of them served up walk off homers or blew big leads.

Pitching.  We need pitching.

I totally am on board with the fact that we need pitching. There is no one here who doesn't think this is the most important thing for the Angels this offseason. However this trade could potentially open up an Aybar or Kendrick trade which would net us a good number 4 starter. I'm actually creating a thread right now with my plans for the rest of the offseason and hopefully I can get it finished tonight.

You guys are going to be like, whoa tdawg should be the GM. Just you wait.

I totally am on board with the fact that we need pitching. There is no one here who doesn't think this is the most important thing for the Angels this offseason. However this trade could potentially open up an Aybar or Kendrick trade which would net us a good number 4 starter. I'm actually creating a thread right now with my plans for the rest of the offseason and hopefully I can get it finished tonight.

I better have a second pair of pants at the ready.

I'm really excited about Green being our starting 2B.  Our defense is going to be awesome.  I mean, it was so good last season, why not make it worse.  It didn't hurt us or anything.

I'm still here. Sure, not a good trade as of now, but if an alien who knew nothing about baseball read that thread, they'd think the angels traded jesus christ himself.

The "Bourjesus" moniker was born when many Angels fans went crazy over his exciting play after he was called up in 2010.  He'd only posted an OPS over .800 in the PCL and Pioneer League, but in 2010, the Angels finished under .500, after winning the AL West crown five times in six seasons.  Angels fans needed something to be excited about.  Bourjos  was called up and, despite his problems at the plate and his atrocious BB and K rates, fans got all fanatical.  I get it.  Speed is exciting. Plate discipline is not. 

I didn't get it, though.  I saw a guy that may not last in the majors because of his lack of plate discipline.  You see it all the time with speedsters.  Billy Hamilton is the latest.  Amazing base stealing ability (something Bourjos doesn't have, by the way).  Exciting!   Didn't get on base that much this year.  

The "Bourjesus" name was a shot.  Not at him, but at Angels fans that expected, or hoped for, too much.

Bourjos grew on me.  He is a great defender.  I wish they could've kept him or gotten more for him.  I wish he could've stayed healthy.  I'm afraid he'll make the Angels regret this trade.  

Edited by ScottT

ScottT, the problem is not that they traded Bourjos OR that they traded for Freese. The problem is that they acted out of desperation and sold low...on November 22. If this were February 22 I might be a bit more understanding. But Dipoto's acting desperate, just a few weeks into the offseason, and selling low - and yet another prospect, to boot.

The front office has done nothing in quite some time to earn any realistic sense of confidence.

Dipoto always seems to panic. Exhibit A = Blanton signing!

That ain't the mark of a solid GM.

Predictions:

Freese: 10 HRs, 50 RBIs, .670 OPS

Salas: 4.60 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Bad trade man, bad bleeping trade!

It was because he talked a good game and gave us false hope that he knew what he was doing. After the Reagins era where he made bad moves and sounded clueless during interviews, we all bought into Dipoto...who is oh so good with words. We(or I guess I, specifically) liked that the Halos had finally brought in somebody from outside who had knowledge of advanced statistics. I was encouraged by the stuff he said and hoped that the team had finally had somebody at the helm who could look beyond certain statistics to evaluate players and find good value in players. Sadly, he seems overmatched for the job. Most of his trades look terrible value wise and his FA signings have been busts. Now, IDK how much Arte influenced the Pujols/Hamilton signings, but I do know that the Blanton signing is what immediately made me question whether Dipoto was the guy for the job

I've completely lost faith in him and this FO and am frustrated and worried about the long term outlook of this team/franchise. I'm concerned about  what future trades he ends up making the rest of this offseason

Nailed it. Every GM makes questionable moves, every GM has moves that seem good at the time but turn to sh*t later on, but only so many can make ones that are universally laughed at right from the start. Reagins had it with Wells, Dipoto has now had it with Blanton and Freese (which I actually find so much more unforgiveable than Pujols and Hamilton, both of which are highly likely to have been heavily influenced by the owner and been justified for reasons aprtly commercial). Other teams and agents are taking advantage of his cluelessness at every turn.

I feel like Jerry is a bit out of his element.  It seems his strengths are bringing in lesser known types by trading away known quantities.  When he tries to do the opposite, it doesn't work out so well.  The 'win now' mentality may not suite him. 

It's my nit with this recent trade.  Just like Jerry needs to take into account who his manager is and what players would best work with said manager, the remainder of the FO needs to understand what type of GM they have and let him work from his strengths. 

If that means allowing him to trade Pete for a AA SP prospect then so be it. 

That's why I think this trade had Arte's fingerprints all over it.  Not that Arte demanded it, but the philosophy from the top down still seems to be that next year's team is the only thing in focus while anything beyond that is the blurry background.  Dipoto doesn't seem like the guy that's ideal for that scenario regardless of whether that philosophy is ideal or not. 

I feel like Jerry is a bit out of his element.  It seems his strengths are bringing in lesser known types by trading away known quantities.  When he tries to do the opposite, it doesn't work out so well.  The 'win now' mentality may not suite him. 

It's my nit with this recent trade.  Just like Jerry needs to take into account who his manager is and what players would best work with said manager, the remainder of the FO needs to understand what type of GM they have and let him work from his strengths. 

If that means allowing him to trade Pete for a AA SP prospect then so be it. 

That's why I think this trade had Arte's fingerprints all over it.  Not that Arte demanded it, but the philosophy from the top down still seems to be that next year's team is the only thing in focus while anything beyond that is the blurry background.  Dipoto doesn't seem like the guy that's ideal for that scenario regardless of whether that philosophy is ideal or not. 

We'll see. If Dipoto can't pull the rabbit out of someone's ass by March, and we end up in third or forth place next year, we'll see if Jerry still has a job. If he's fired, the trade ideas were on him, and him alone. If not, Arte, knowing he had more of a say in the moves that were made will be much less likely to fire Dipoto for it. I don't believe the latter is true though. I think Dipoto is doing what a GM does and will live by it or die by it next year.  

Dipoto said, “[Freese] really knows how to drive in important runs."

Yikes. Based on what we've heard from Dipoto in the past, I'm going to assume he doesn't really believe that. Probably just a slip up.

This is the same guy who used win totals in pumping up the pitchers he got back for Haren with AZ.

Maybe he's just not the analytical mind we thought he was.

• 3 weeks later...