• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freese is not Albert Callaspo

Hubs

Despite what Halos Heaven thinks...

http://www.halosheaven.com/2013/11/22/5134578/david-freese-is-alberto-callaspo-basically

In Freese's worst year, while injured with back issues, he performed as well as Callaspo.

The 2013 stats may have been similar. In 2012, Freese hit .293 / .372 / .467. Callaspo hit .252 / .331 / .361

In 2011, Freese only played the 2nd half of the season, but he hit .297/.350/.441. Callaspo hit .288 / .367/.375.

Callaspo hasn't had any pop since his year with the Royals. And even then it equates to what Freese hits in a down year.

Freese can also get some DH AB's, with Trumbo in the OF and Jimenez or Romine at 3rd when he's dinged up.

Solid RH middle of the order bat. Callaspo never was that.

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

DH Trumbo

3B Freese

2B Kendrick

C Conger

SS Aybar 

If Trumbo is packaged for a sp who backs up 1B?  Who is the other Outfielder?  That gives more playing time to Schuck and more crappy defense.

Ya, at this point, trading Trumbo basically means

Shuck is an everyday player, which shouldn't happen.

OR

This team uses even more of it's resources on things that aren't pitching to replace Trumbo.

2011:

Freese: 1.8 WAR

Callaspo: 3.3 WAR

2012:

Freese: 3.8 WAR

Callaspo: 3.5 WAR

2013:

Freese: -0.3 WAR

Callaspo: 0.3 WAR

You're right, they aren't the same player.  Callaspo is better.

I know WAR shouldn't be used as a complete evaluation of a players contributions, though it is very useful. Seeing that comparison makes me a little sad.

Freese is a much better 3B than Alberto Callaspo was. I'm sorry but the guy had a .356 SLG in four seasons with the Angels. His OBP, the bright spot? Only .335 with the Angels. And his average was a middling .263.

WAR from Baseball reference is I think better than Fangraphs version.

2011: Callaspo 2.9 to Freese 1.8 (in just 97 games compared to 141). 

2012: Callaspo 2.8 to Freese 3.8.

2013: Callaspo 0.3 to Freese -0.3… Freese was hurt. Callaspo was healthy.

Callaspo was/is much better than Freese defensively.  Which to me is a bigger hole than our offense was last season.  This is another reason why I just don't think Dipoto gets it.

He doesn't seem to value pitching or defense much at all.

Callapso was highly overrated defensively. 

In 518 games as a third baseman, Callaspo had a .961 Fielding Pct.

in 427 games as a third baseman, Freese had a .950 Fielding Pct.

I'm not saying that Callaspo wasn't a better fielder than Freese, this just isn't a major downgrade. Freese is also 5 inches taller. 

Freese is a much better 3B than Alberto Callaspo was. I'm sorry but the guy had a .356 SLG in four seasons with the Angels. His OBP, the bright spot? Only .335 with the Angels. And his average was a middling .263.

WAR from Baseball reference is I think better than Fangraphs version.

2011: Callaspo 2.9 to Freese 1.8 (in just 97 games compared to 141). 

2012: Callaspo 2.8 to Freese 3.8.

2013: Callaspo 0.3 to Freese -0.3… Freese was hurt. Callaspo was healthy.

So, what you're saying is that 6 WAR is worse than 5.3 WAR.

Staying healthy is part of a player's value, and thus, part of his ability to provide wins above replacement.