• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Semi-Realistic Dream Offseason

AngelsWin.com

Trade+Dreams.jpg

By Greg Bearringer, AngelsWin.com Contributor

There is an inherent conundrum with coming up with trade proposals, much less writing about them. On one hand, it is a really fun way to think about the issues facing whatever team you are thinking about without getting depressed since, by definition, you are fixing those issues. On the other hand, perceived value is difficult to overcome— my opinion of Mark Trumbo is a lower than most Angels fans, for instance.

One important thing to remember is that most trades have a winner and a loser, even if the reason why the loser makes a trade plays out exactly as they planned. The best example of this is the Royals-Rays trade from last year. I am pretty sure that Dayton Moore foresaw the trade  playing out roughly as it has so far (perhaps with the exception of Wade Davis). Teams do this all the time, and sometimes as a fan it can be frustrating to see a Jean Segura for Zach Grieinke trade go down.

With this in mind, here is my semi-realistic "dream" Angels’ offseason. By this I mean I am trying to think of trades which benefit the Angels, but are somewhat realistic. I might not walk this line as nicely as I think I am, but again— this is a dream offseason. Of course, I am operating on the idea that the Angels need to two starters and two relievers this off season while doing their best to replace what they give up. Using Alden Gonzalez calculations, The Angels are starting out with $14 Million to play with before they hit the tax. 

Note: My original piece had Erick Aybar going to the Cards in exchange for a package including David Freese, and Peter Bourjos getting traded for Ike Davis. However, with the trade this afternoon that sent Bourjos and Randal Grichuk to St. Louis for Frees and Fernando Salas, I had to make some adjustments to my piece.  I am ambivalent about the Bourjos/Freese trade, though I suppose seeing an honest-to-goodness third baseman might ease my concerns.  Still, I thought a healthy Bourjos was the quickest way of fixing the Angels defensive issues- and that pun was certainly intended.

(All contract information courtesy of Cot's baseball contracts; arbitration contract estimates come from MLBTradeRumors.)

Trades:

#1: Angels trade Erick Aybar, Kevin Jepsen, and Alex Yarbrough to the Pirates for Charlie Morton, Andrew Oliver, and Alan Henson.

Salary Implications: Angels trade approximately 11.1 Million for approximately 5 million ($20.1 million below tax).

This trade might not be the sexiest in terms of 2014, but I think it has everything you could want. The real treat, obviously, Alan Henson, a guy who will probably play some next season and should be ready to take over at second or, with a less-erratic arm, shortstop in 2015. Andrew Oliver gives Jerry Dipoto the extra starter in AAA that he desperately craves. Charlie Morton? Well, lets see...

#2: Angels trade Howie Kendrick, Mark Trumbo, and Charlie Morton to the Diamondbacks for Tyler Skaggs, Didi Gregorious, and Trevor Cahill.

Salary Implications: Angels trade approximately 15.4 Million for 8.4 million ($26.1 million below tax).

This deal completes the Angels search for starting pitching and adds a young (if average) shortstop to boot. Trevor Cahill might just be a 4.00 ERA guy from here on out, but that is a marked improvement over what the Angels have going for them, and Cahill is young enough to have some upside above and beyond just being a #4 guy. Tyler Skaggs has the homecoming which Angels fans have dreamed of. Gregorius might not be the sexiest name, but his season he had roughly as much value as Aybar-- look it up.  This trade does create two new holes at DH/1st and 2nd, but I think there is some opportunity there for upgrades and— this is most important— the Angels have the pitching depth they have needed so bad. The Diamondbacks need an upgrade at 2nd and, for some reason, want a power bat in the outfield despite having a bunch of solid options there. 

#3: The Angels trade Chris Ianetta to the Blue Jays for Casey Janssen.

Salary Implications: Angels trade approximately 4.975 Million for 4 million ($26.075 million below tax).

This is pretty straight forward. Not really a salary dump, but the Angels have filled a pretty big hole in their Bullpen and the Jays get an offensive upgrade at catcher. The Jays have a pretty deep bullpen, what with all their young starters blowing out their arms and converting to relievers.

Free Agents:

Angels sign 2nd baseman Omar Infante for 3 years, 27 million (9 Million in 2014).

Angels sign C John Buck for 1 year, 2 Million dollars.

Angels Sign Corey Hart for one year, 8 Million with a 12 Million dollar option for 2015.

Salary Implications: Angels contracts worth 12.5 Million (4.475 under the tax).

Omar Infante might be a little over-paid here, but his versatility and general fit on a Scioscia-led team eases the pain. John Buck is not my first choice, but he's a veteran whose defense is good enough to counter-act his putrid offense. The only problem is that Scioscia might play him too much, but on the other hand he might be great for the staff.  Hart might get more than this, and it might be dangerous to sign another slugger with leg issues, but Hart would be a terrific filling in for Trumbo, as he has many of the same qualities-- but with plate discipline.

The new Angels line-up:

LF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

DH Hart

RF Hamilton

3B Freese

SS Gregorius

C Conger/Buck

2B Infante

Starting Pitching:

Weaver

Wilson

Cahill

Richards

Skaggs

Bullpen: Frieri (CL), Janssen, De La Rosa, Burnett, Berg, Blanton (swing).

That is a very competitive team in the AL West, depending on how well Pujols and Hamilton perform. It certainly will have replaced a tire fire in the heart of the rotation with Skaggs and Cahill, plus a solid prospect in Andrew Oliver to help back them up. This is about as good of a replacement for Aybar and Kendrick as we could hope for. 

The issues with the team mentioned above start with significant position player depth. Outfield depth would probably be JB Shuck-- who might be a great 4th outfielder, or might be the second coming of Reggie Willits. Next man up might be Collin Cowgill, which is sub-optimal to say the least. Uninspiring infield depth includes defensive whiz Andrew Romine and Luis Jiminez-- a mere AAAA player in this writer's humble opinion. Taylor Lindsey, CJ Cron, and Efren Navarro, and Alan Henson all offer some upside here. At least the bullpen in Salt Lake would be well stocked, with Jeremy Berg, Mike Morin, RJ Alvarez,  and Nick Maronde all potentially seeing time in Bees uniforms.  As long as Oliver doesn't make more than 10-15 starts, this staff has a higher ceiling and a much higher floor than last year's squad.

The other issue is that this team would be dependent upon rebound seasons from Pujols, Hamilton, Hart, Freese, and Cahill. Odds are that at least one of them, well, doesn't. Unfortunately, this season will be determined in large part by what Pujols and Hamilton do. If they combine for 38 home runs, 87 walks, and 245 hits again, the Angels would have to clone Mike Trout a few times over to make this team a contender. If they can party like its 2012 and up those numbers to 73 HR 112 BBs and 333 hits, the Angels will probably find themselves in the post season.

The next question which comes up is very crucial, “Do the Angels extend Trout?”  The soothes say "no.”  I am willing to bet, though, they pay him 1 million plus next season, because that is the absolute minimum it will take to not insult what is clearly a generational talent.  Of course, perhaps the real dream Angels off-season is a slight improvement in starting pitching and a Trout extension, since trading or losing him in the prime of his career just break this Angels fan's heart.

vq-XgbfQqs0

View the full article

Good article, nice writing. Not really good trades for any of the other teams. The Diamondbacks win. That's it.

#1, The Pirates have veteran Clint Barmes listed as their shortstop, but Jordy Mercer also played 78 games there. He's probably going to be the SS in 2014. He seems to be good defensively and a good hitter. I don't know why they would want to take on $8M salary at SS, when they have a guy making the league minimum capable of similar numbers offensively and defensively. Their #1 priority this offseason is a power hitting 1b/corner OF. Doubt they'd give up a guy like Morton to get him, as well as Hanson.

#2 The Pirates can simply trade for Gregorius if they did want another SS.. Why do they need us involved? The Diamondbacks are trading a 10M salaried pitcher, a prospect, and a SS for a guy at a position they have capable players at (Kendrick),  a guy they'd like (Trumbo) and a pitcher. Don't get why they do this. Trumbo for Gregorius, Skaggs, and Cahill..OK. Sure. I'd say that's a stretch, but maybe. IF you gave them Garrett Richards too they might do this. Don't know why they'd want Kendrick. 

Then maybe Gregorius gets the Angels back Carlos Martinez or another Cardinals player. That would give the Angels Weaver/Wilson/Skaggs/Cahill/Martinez.

#3 Jays won't trade Jannsen, not as he is their closer. Not for a C. They could do the same swap for Sergio Santos, which I'd do, especially if the Angels took back Macier Izturis or maybe offered Kendrick to them and hoped to get a Aaron Sanchez or Robert Osuna back.

As I said, I don't think the D'Backs would want Kendrick as they have Aaron Hill and Martin Prado. The Angels could just keep him instead of signing Infante.

The Angels signing Buck as a Iannetta replacement would be fine, I'd rather have Dionner Navarro. The Angels signing Corey Hartas a Trumbo replacement makes sense, except why don't the D'Backs just sign him? He's going to get a much cheaper deal than you have listed.

I would not want Charlie Morton unless he was our 6th starter. He's 30 and has accumulated 4.1 WAR in his career. Andy Oliver had a walk rate over 8 in AAA last year. Hanson could be a solid ballplayer so he's the one guy I would be interested in. No thanks on this trade. 

I do see a trade with the D-Backs being a possibility. Cahill would be fine by me.