• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

For those who support the trade

Scott34

Yes of course, but it isn't like they traded a sure thing. If it was a healthy Bourjos last year coming into this year the market would have been different, but that simply isn't the case. I don't love this trade, but I also will be willing to let the offseason play itself out so we can see where we end up.

This is the part that baffles my mind. Angels fans ASSume that that since Bourjos was dealt for a much needed 3B, that Dipoto mic dropped that bitch on the offseason. That he's done. Far from it, Dipoto has a ton more work to do, especially in light of Vargas signing with the Royals.

We took a player who hasn't don't much for us in the last two years and traded him for an above average player at a position that needed to be filled…he also got away from his home town where I'm sure he felt lots of pressure to deliver after being a world series hero and putting up the numbers he did in 2012….so a fresh start in a new town could be just what he needed…maybe I'm stretching here but overall its not a terrible trade and the negativety surrounding the trade is over the top.

People are missing the point:

Lucho Jimenez is a more valuable 3B than Freese.  We didn't upgrade.  And we diminished our ability to deal for our biggest need - SP.

Bullshit, Scott. Jimenez has only proven he can hit minor league pitching.

Callaspo had more isolated power than Freese....

I am not a stat guy, so I don't even know what that means. What I can tell you is if there is a stat out there that says Callaspo has more power than Freese then there is one of two things wrong. One, Callaspo isn't living up to his power, two the stat is bullshit.

Urgency to trade Burjous when they weren't going to get a good return, then that is urgency.  Selling low is bad business.

They didn't sell low, he was traded for what the Angels wanted at a value both teams agreed upon. His value was not improving from today to Spring training. By then it is way too late.

Then reason would argue that they shouldn't have traded Burjous since they weren't going to get a sure thing, no?

Why the urgency?

There was no urgency, you're reaching. There was no market and we scored an offensive-minded 3B in return. Score!

Jerry still has a ton of work to do. Don't assume he blew his wad on this deal. This was just one move of many.

Bullshit, Scott. Jimenez has only proven he can hit minor league pitching.

Right.

Take 2013 for example: He had 110 PAs last year and was horrible offensively.  He still had a 0.4 WAR.  If he had 500 PAs, he's a 2 WAR player, simply because of his glove.

I think it's safe to assume he will hit a little better.  He's a 2-3 WAR player.

Freese has put up one season above a 2 WAR and he's 31.

A friend of mine reading the reactions here and someone who is highly respected in the community here sent this to me offline.

Calhoun, Hamilton, Schuck, Trout gives the Angels a contending outfield. Bourjos better than Calhoun and or Schuck? Perhaps, but he was also expendable.

Everyone talks about pitching being a need. Agree, but last I checked Scioscia has to write a 3B on the lineup card 162 games next season. Who will that be? Chris Nelson? I watched the Rockies send him packing because he was not an everyday player. Great utility player, but he is not a 3B on a contending team. The tweet about Freese being no better than Alberto Callaspo was laughable.

The Angels are in the mess they are in right now because, in part, they continued to overestimate their players. Dallas McPherson, Casey Kotchman, Jeff Mathis, Brandon Wood, Nick Gorneault, Terry Evans, and Matt Brown were all thought to be future front line MLB players and there was a point where each of these guys could have been moved for significant return. The front office refused to even listen. Many of the Angelswin.com posters agreed. I'm glad Dipoto isn't repeating past mistakes and holding on to guys like Bourjos when a trade improves the club.

Maybe the trade fails. But on 11/22 it was a smart move.

Right.

Take 2013 for example: He had 110 PAs last year and was horrible offensively. He still had a 0.4 WAR. If he had 500 PAs, he's a 2 WAR player, simply because of his glove.

I think it's safe to assume he will hit a little better. He's a 2-3 WAR player.

WAR does not win ball games. Last I checked, the Cardinals were pretty Damn successful with Freese at 3B.

Right.

Take 2013 for example: He had 110 PAs last year and was horrible offensively. He still had a 0.4 WAR. If he had 500 PAs, he's a 2 WAR player, simply because of his glove.

I think it's safe to assume he will hit a little better. He's a 2-3 WAR player.

Not to nitpick but he is 30 and will be on opening day. We traded our fourth outfielder and got a serviceable third baseman. I'm ok with it. I highly doubt there were better offers out there, if there were, my guess is he would have taken one of those better offers.

There was no urgency, you're reaching. There was no market and we scored an offensive-minded 3B in return. Score!

Jerry still has a ton of work to do. Don't assume he blew his wad on this deal. This was just one move of many.

The problem is that Jerry's "wad" wasn't very big to begin with.  He has, as far as I can tell, written off two trading pieces in one and still zero pitching adding while losing Vargas for sure.  Not to mention, it's not like his past history gives me a bunch of hope for the future. 

Ok, that is your opinion but it has no factual basis behind it. Considering the Angels had to include a minor league player means there were scales to be balanced on both sides.

there's plenty of factual basis behind it which has been discussed here several times.

both teams essentially gave up a minor league player.