• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dave Cameron (Fangraphs) on the trade

Angelsjunky

Read this right after the trade happened and it's hard to disagree with anything he said. 

This part hurts the most:

"This trade will be sold as speed-and-defense for power, but Bourjos actually has a higher career Isolated Slugging mark than Freese does. This is an average hitting elite defender for a slightly above average hitting meh defender, only the meh defender costs more and is closer to the end of his career."

No no no, that isn't what anybody did. A superfan is someone who tells another person to go be a fan of another team because they have a negative opinion they don't agree with.

All he seems to do is bitch and moan about everything the Angels do or don't do.  Why would a fan of a team do that?  He clearly doesn't like what this ORG does or doesn't do so rooting for a team you respect, like the Cardinals, makes sense.

Edited by beatlesrule

Well it's a good thing he didn't say Freese was close to the end of his career then.

It was implied and a stupid statement. I doubt the Angels are looking long term with Freese, he is a filler for a position lacking a suitable player. Bourjos was an oft injured player that is irrelevant except for a 4th out fielder. The Cards took the higher risk of the two teams. Edited by Mudville

It was implied and a stupid statement. I doubt the Angels are looking long term with Freese, he is a filler for a position lacking a suitable player. Bourjos was an oft injured player that is irrelevant except for a 4th out fielder. The Cards took the higher risk of the two teams.

A filler huh? So just like Callaspo.... No way we could have signed Callaspo who is a free agent now instead?

Edited by tennischmp

It was implied and a stupid statement. I doubt the Angels are looking long term with Freese, he is a filler for a position lacking a suitable player. Bourjos was an oft injured player that is irrelevant except for a 4th out fielder. The Cards took the higher risk of the two teams.

You do realize that Freese is an older, oft injured player, with a history of DUI convictions, right?

They trade Callaspo away at midseason, creating a hole at 3B. They then patch that hole by trading Bourjos away, getting an older, more expensive and less valuable player in return

I'm not sure this FO knows exactly what it's trying to do

Callaspo was a hole at third base. Overrated offensively, overrated defensively. Overpaid. Honestly feel Luis Jimenez can put up Callaspo type numbers but needed a veteran platoon partner. Now they have it.

All he seems to do is bitch and moan about everything the Angels do or don't do. Why would a fan of a team do that? He clearly doesn't like what this ORG does or doesn't do so rooting for a team you respect, like the Cardinals, makes sense.

For the record I don't have a problem with you or think you are a "superfan". I was just sticking up for jshep.

Though I think you have the wrong guy with AJ. He's usually pretty positive and makes a ton of well-thought out posts. I don't think anything he has posted is worthy of what you just said, but that's just me.

Edited by tdawg87

i've been accused of being a superfan myself, and i couldn't agree with jshep or tdawg more. this organization is in a tailspin and dipoto is making it worse. i've lost all faith in him totally. if being a fan were simply rooting for any team you want, which i guess is theoretically possible, i'd be jocking for the cardinals easily. they do everything that i want the angels to do, a.l.w.a.y.s.

it's massively frustrating.

I truly don't think fandom has much to do with evaluating a trade, or a callup, or a demotion (all FO functions).  A fan wants the team he follows to do well, and when transactions backfire or look moronic at the get-go, you still want your team to do well.  The only caution - don't let the fortunes of your team control your self image!  We are not smarter for guessing right in advance of a transaction, and not 'better' for supporting an unholy bad one.  Hell, just follow and support your team - and realize that criticism of a transaction, a roster move, or a play during a game is part of the scenery.   :)

I have to say that this trade has made me completely lose faith in our FO.

Time for the FO to FO.

I've had some more time to think about this on a long drive.  The trade still sucks.  As others have pointed out, we got older and worse defensively, and paid more to do it.  

I like how those who rip the trade call those who stick up for the trade superfans. Holy Christ Almighty, I need a smoke.

I have never been surrounded by so many pessimists in my entire life.

Until you're the pessimist around game 123.  Because people don't like the trade does not make them pessimistic.  This team hasn't been successful for years.  Please excuse them for not giving the GM the benefit of the doubt. 

Read this right after the trade happened and it's hard to disagree with anything he said. 

This part hurts the most:

"This trade will be sold as speed-and-defense for power, but Bourjos actually has a higher career Isolated Slugging mark than Freese does. This is an average hitting elite defender for a slightly above average hitting meh defender, only the meh defender costs more and is closer to the end of his career."

And is a jackass whereas Bourjos was a decent human person. 

Grichuk is a C+/B- prospect, which still makes him worth a lot more than Salas, who is just another in the line of Gutierrezes that Dipoto seems to love so much.

Wait a minute...Dipoto WAS a Gutierrez/Salas type. Hmm.

Yep, just what I was thinking. I know people say you shouldn't spend a lot on a pen. That doesn't mean mainly dumpster diving either, which is how Dipoto is building the pen.