• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Royals to sign Jason Vargas

SoWhat

I'd love to get Samardzija. I wonder if a 3 team trade with the Padres and Cubs would work.

Angels: Samardzija, Russell

Cubs: Wisler, Sampson, and Conger (long coveted by Epstein)

Padres: Trumbo, Grichuk

Please explain to me the love for Samardzija. I would argue that he might be the most overrated player in all of MLB.

Please explain to me the love for Samardzija. I would argue that he might be the most overrated player in all of MLB.

Great K/9 rate, not terrible walk rate, does a decent job of keeping the ball in the yard and he wouldn't cost much in terms of his contact. He'd also eat a lot of innings for us. Would love to have him as our #3 next year.

Great K/9 rate, not terrible walk rate, does a decent job of keeping the ball in the yard and he wouldn't cost much in terms of his contact. He'd also eat a lot of innings for us. Would love to have him as our #3 next year.

Also has a solid GB%

Last year was his second full season as a starter, he hasn't even reached his potential yet. Going forward, he should be a solid #2 

It would've been HILARIOUS to see Vargas accept the QO and then rounding out the rotation with Blanton and Shoemaker.  Seriously people, good move to let him go.

Agreed.  I would have like to have Vargas as our #4 for a three year deal, but to have had him for one year at 14 million would have been a mistake.

I agree. 

Just like some guys peripherals are better than their actual performance, his are the opposite.  If he were a free agent, I'd be willing to consider him in the rotation.  Just not excited about giving up talent to get him.  That and the cubs aren't likely to want guys in arb or older and I sure as hell wouldn't give up anything from our depleted farm to get him. 

Vargas could've accepted the QO, made 14 mil this year and still land a big deal next offseason. So that logic doesn't necessarily make sense.

I am always amused how people think good health is guaranteed year to year. 32 million guaranteed for four years is better than 14 million guaranteed for 1. Had Vargas taken th QO he would only be better ofvif hevpitches well and stays healthy. Athletes know they are one blown shoulder away from retirement.

The board has been pretty fixated on Vargas and I like the idea of a second lefty in the rotation but is there really that big of a difference between him and any one of Arroyo,  Nolasco, Hughes, Hammel, Baker, or the ex-Angels like Haren, Saunders, Kazmir? And I'm talking about a 4 slot guy assuming they'll still pull a trade for someone else.

The board has been pretty fixated on Vargas and I like the idea of a second lefty in the rotation but is there really that big of a difference between him and any one of Arroyo, Nolasco, Hughes, Hammel, Baker, or the ex-Angels like Haren, Saunders, Kazmir? And I'm talking about a 4 slot guy assuming they'll still pull a trade for someone else.

Exactly.

I am always amused how people think good health is guaranteed year to year. 32 million guaranteed for four years is better than 14 million guaranteed for 1. Had Vargas taken th QO he would only be better ofvif hevpitches well and stays healthy. Athletes know they are one blown shoulder away from retirement.

He would have taken the QO no doubt about it.

1. Vargas and agent have an idea what range they could receive on the market.Most of the Major League had him at 8 million per year.

2. Another reason for Vargas to accept QO is to be part of the free agent class of 2015 where the cost of pitching will rise. Knowing if he succeeds in 2014, he will have another raise knowing clubs will find him as one of the best bargains on the pitching market for 2015.

Edited by ispy45

Vargas likes to feel comfortable and at home with a team.  It's just his personality.  He pitches better when he has that kind of atmosphere, too.  VERY superstitious and OCD, even for a pro athlete.  Jumping from team to team based only on 1-year contracts would probably have an adverse effect on his pitching, and maybe even end up costing him money by the time he's in his mid 30s. 

Huh?? I am not sure what you are saying. Based upon your theory, he would still sign with Angels because he played the 2013 season with them.