• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Royals to sign Jason Vargas

SoWhat

Yah a lot of people saying 4 years is too much? That's a contract that is easy to trade.

Not if he Blantons out.

I understand the market has changed drastically, but I believe 5 years is the longest the Angels have ever gone for a pitcher. Giving a guy like Vargas anywhere near that is crazy. Hell I thought 3 years was pushing it.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 2m

That #Angels offer to Jason Vargas, according to source, was for three years and about $24 million.

That's more than fair.

This offseason sucks so far, but I don't think this one is their fault. Trade for Lynn and you essentially get the same pitcher while saving a bunch of money.

I'd imagine the Angels more or less expected that Vargas would sign elsewhere, but I think the fact that it happened this early in the offseason could hurt in that takes away some leverage.

If DiPoto was using Vargas being a FA as leverage for getting another Starting Pitcher, he is doing his job wrong. It's not like Vargas was under contract and being used as a long reliever.

Not if he Blantons out.

I understand the market has changed drastically, but I believe 5 years is the longest the Angels have ever gone for a pitcher. Giving a guy like Vargas anywhere near that is crazy. Hell I thought 3 years was pushing it.

He was gone when we didn't make a qualifying offer....somebody always goes too far on FA's, particularly pitchers...just happens to be the Royals this time....

Not if he Blantons out.

Ya but it's only $32 million. The fourth year is practically free, or paid out from the excess value in the first three years.

This is really good news for the Angels in two ways.

1) 4 years is really dumb for Vargas.  Just wait til his 90 MPH heater dips into the 80s and his WHIP skyrockets.  He won't be good in 2015/2016.

2) The Royals seemingly hate their young P's.  They didn't need Vargas.  Maybe they would consider a Duffy or Ventura (drool) for Kendrick type of deal.

Good work, Jerry.

Edited by Scott34

He was gone when we didn't make a qualifying offer....somebody always goes too far on FA's, particularly pitchers...just happens to be the Royals this time....

True, and 14 mil a year is too far to go on Vargas.

Edited by Jim

The years here are unimportant. 3 years 32 mil is a great buy so essentially Royals get year 4 for free. I will not call this a fail until our rotation is set but I'm super uneasy already with our plan. 

Side note-I Think Vargas would have accepted our qualifying offer bases off of this deal.