• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tigers trade Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler

Scott34

I think anybody using WAR to evaluate a player or a trade needs to get their head examined.

Really dude?

Nobody is only using WAR as a stat to judge this trade. However, if there's one stat that gives you a general idea is how good a player is, it's WAR.

And the stat isn't a lazy way to judge a player. It uses multiple stats to come to the final number, which is why it's used so much now.

Really dude?

Nobody is only using WAR as a stat to judge this trade. However, if there's one stat that gives you a general idea is how good a player is, it's WAR.

And the stat isn't a lazy way to judge a player. It uses multiple stats to come to the final number, which is why it's used so much now.

Why not look at the individual stats then ... unless you're lazy. Like you said ... it gives you a general idea and could be misleading.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Great trade for the Rangers. Dumb trade for the Tigers if you ask me, Kinsler's slash line has been crap, and he's obviously helped out by hitting in Arlington.

thata pretty much my take. I get that it saves them a ton of money.if they needed the flexibility, I get it. But I think they downgraded on the field.

Why not look at the individual stats then ... unless you're lazy. Like you said ... it gives you a general idea and could be misleading.

Because the idea of WAR is giving an overall picture. It very well can be misleading which or why nobody uses just WAR to evaluate players.

Using WAR and other individual statistics is a great way to look at guys. Looking at one or the other isn't the way to do it.

Nobody can see every at-bat and defensive play a player could potentially be involved in.  To evaluate players' performances, people a lot smarter than us developed a formula to determine the value of a player.  Yes it's not perfect, but it gives a better idea than runs and rbi's.  

And in before some nimrod says rbi's and runs are the most important thing to evaluate a player's value

Did Lincecum intangible skillset declining? Is that why the Giants sucked last year.

Sign Tim Tebow now. He's a winner. That what he does. He wins. We need his intangibles to win.

Buster Posey's iWAR (Intangible Wins Above Replacement) fell significantly last year. He's in obvious decline.

Buster Posey's iWAR (Intangible Wins Above Replacement) fell significantly last year. He's in obvious decline.

iWAR -- absolutely love it.

For the record Mike Napoli's iWAR was awesome last year. Jeff Mathis's was off.

How else can we explain why Boston won the World Series and Miami totally sucked? Ignore talent -- focus only on the intangibles apparently.