• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How bout that Petey!

It's incredible that someone who put up a 1.0 dWAR in just 501.2 OF innings last year is so hated by so many. Even if he doesn't improve at all offensively, he still warrants a starting spot on this team more than likely. Having said that, I'd be stunned if he hits less than .250 and think he's got a really got shot of being above .270. I'll predict .275/.335/.420 (so pretty close to his 2011 season), which would be enough for a 5ish WAR season and give us one of the best all-round outfields of all time.

If Pete starts off slow during the regular season, but we're winning do you guys think Scioscia leaves him in the lineup or replaces him with Wells?

Man, that's tough.  I have a hunch that Dipoto is on Bourjos' side but Scioscia has a...preference for veterans.  If the team is doing well Bourjos will probably get more slack, as in a month.  After that...Wells is waiting to pop up and hit late-inning HRs that cut the other team's lead to seven instead of eight.

Man, that's tough.  I have a hunch that Dipoto is on Bourjos' side but Scioscia has a...preference for veterans.  If the team is doing well Bourjos will probably get more slack, as in a month.  After that...Wells is waiting to pop up and hit late-inning HRs that cut the other team's lead to seven instead of eight.

Just curious....  Does Scioscia have a preference for veterans or is it track records?    Is Scioscia really all that different than any other manager in looking at past performance when looking forward?   Was this also considered a bad thing when Tony LaRussa did it or when Joe Maddon looks at a player's average vs lefthanded pitchers on day games after night games who are taller than 6'2"?

He had no problem relegating Schoeneweis to the pen in favor of Lackey in 2002, or in starting him in a game 7.  He had no qualms handing SS to Eckstein who, had never played SS before despite Benji Gil having been on the roster and being a natural SS.   He handed the catcher's spot to Molina even though Wallbeck was still around.   He replaced Rodney with Walden after what...  a blown save?   He put Howie into 72 games as a 22 year old while AK was still here, and made no attempts to lobby for his return.

Aybar wasn't held back behind any veterans -- in fact they traded a veteran Scioscia LOVED (OC), to play Aybar.   Kotchman, and Morales really only had to contend with each other..  Napoli's competition was Mathis.  Dmac had the job at 3B til his body broke.   Torii Hunter was moved out of CF for PB and he had the job until his play relegated him to the bench.  Trout started as a 20 year old

So other than possibly Brandon Wood, what young, vibrant, up and coming talent has been held back and forced to sit in favor of a crusty veteran?   20 games of Bobby Abreu last year don't count for me...  especially since they were trying to get someone think he had something left in the tank.

I must be missing someone really obvious.

• 1 year later...

Conger will be, mostly because this organization is smart enough to realize that switch htitting catchers that can hit for average and pop are a commodity, not something to be given away for free. He'll never be a strong defensive catcher, but if he at least becomes adequate back there, his bat will make him one of the more valuable catchers in the league.

He is more than adequate defensively and still not one of the more valuable catchers in the league

conger will be traded for a catcher that squats correctly behind home plate, has the extremely mathematically important low cera and doesn't bend to kiss sciocia's ass. the guy does have throwing trouble, but the bottom line is that our manager doesn't like him. probably doesn't block the plate with the legendary efficiency our manager had either.

I agree

I always liked Bourjos --it's a shame that he got off to a slow start in St. Louis and then was hurt or something.

He always hustled and did his best for us.

I root for the guy to do well.

Cards in real trouble right now with Yadier out 8 to 13 weeks -- he's carried the Cards team......tough loss for them.